Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

80's Raleigh Marathon..Is this a Fair Trade?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-21, 05:03 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/418412169918839/

I'm getting a little bit fatigued trying to keep up with a single speed in 25-40 mile group rides. Plus the brakes and handlebars are making my hands go numb.
So this bike came up. We arranged a trade plus $

$40 on his end. Seems like a fairly solid if unremarkable ride. The bike will need new tires as the one on it are cracked.

Should I make this trade? I feel like the Marathon would be more comfortable and I could use the $40. Supposedly it's a daily rider like mine is. My single speed is a two year old Nashbar bike. In great shape otherwise.
Old 11-25-21, 05:46 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Keep your original saddle as the one on the Raleigh is dreadful. Me, I would not make the trade, as the Marathon is bottom of the barrel, and I would assume it needs full maintenance, including bottom bracket, hubs, headset, cables, housings, brake pads, etc. Who is going to do that work?

My rule of thumb, if what I can see has not been maintained (old tires), then I assume what I can't see hasn't been maintained either.
Old 11-25-21, 05:50 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
If that is your only option for a geared bike I guess it is better than struggling.

Frankly if you’re already doing 40 mile ride in the Chattanooga area I think you need a much nicer bike. Something with a lighter ChroMo frame and fork, lighter 700c wheels.

I personally am not a big Cannondale fan, I don’t like the ride, but this is a better bike for what you want to do. It looks like it might fit you too

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/b...410456383.html

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-25-21, 07:24 PM
RoadWearier

Lol...that's funny. I talked to him too. I agree that's a nicer bike. Problem is he really doesn't want to trade in any way, shape or form. I'm a little turned off by the white with pink lettering. Maybe I'm just not secure enough for that, lol. Guess I could put stickers all over it
He did say he'd take $175 though
Old 11-25-21, 07:38 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
175.00 is a STEAL!!!!

Buy it NOW !!!🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲

I have one of these bikes!!!
Very quick!!!!

Then you can just sell yours
Old 11-25-21, 07:43 PM
RoadWearier

Ok I'll let him know. Hopefully I can scrape together the cash. Guess I can Rust-Oleum the frame

ReckonI can just rotate the handlebars down? The brakes are in "ride the hoods only" mode
Old 11-25-21, 07:44 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Dont trade, keep your SS which is a good rider and get a road bike to keep up with group rides.

N+1 is good !

You can also change the gearing for your SS if you can spin enough to keep up with the roadies.
If a hilly terrain then a road bike would be a good addition especially for group rides.
Old 11-25-21, 07:46 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by joesch
Dont trade, keep your SS which is a good rider and get a road bike to keep up with group rides.

N+1 is good !

You can also change the gearing for your SS if you can spin enough to keep up with the roadies.
If a hilly terrain then a road bike would be a good addition especially for group rides.
Wish I could but I space and money are at a premium. I'm a family guy...no bikes in the living room or kitchen
Old 11-25-21, 08:14 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Trades are rarely to never "fair". I've told people that wanted to trade with me "you can get more selling yourself." The person trading is transferring the work of selling their bike to me. No bikes in the living room or kitchen is a very good idea. I hang bikes from hooks on the ceiling, one hook per bike. That takes up the least space. People that hang bikes from two hooks take up 4X the room.