Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

130mm spaced frame that can clear 30mm tubular tires?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-21, 03:14 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I have a lovely Chris King silver 130mm road hubset that was built up with polished Velocity Major Tom tubular rims. I didn't realize it at the time that the Major Tom's were optimized for a wider, cyclocross width tubular tire. I found some really great 30mm tubular Schwalbe tires from bike24.com in Germany (under $20 each - a great buy!) and they mate up really well with the Major Tom rims. Unfortunately the Cannondale Six13 frame I'm using has nowhere near the clearance needed.

I have a 135mm spaced Cannondale Silk Tour 800 with cantilever brakes and gobs of clearance but my Chris King rear hub is for 130mm, not 135. Any suggestions? Can Chris King help by providing a wider axle for the hub? I believe the hubs are "R45".

Last edited by masi61; 11-26-21 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-25-21, 10:25 PM
scubaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
I’m pretty certain you can buy the parts from Chris King to convert that hub to 135mm, and perhaps also to 142mm through axle. Either way, I’d think the wheel would need to be re-dished.

You should be able to find steel road framesets that can fit 30mm tires. They were everywhere 20-30 years ago, and now are reasonably common on Craigslist & eBay etc. E.g., I have a Basso Gap - lugged Columbus SL tubing - from the 1990s that I’ve used with Rivendell’s 33mm tires; I think the native spacing was 130mm, but even if it were 126mm, the right kind of bike shop can “cold set” the rear triangle to 130mm. Then you need medium or long reach brake calipers, which Tektro still makes the last I checked; any bike shop with the knowledge and skill to cold set a frame should also be able to help you find suitable brakes.
Likes For scubaman:
Old 11-26-21, 06:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
If you like Cannondales, any of the ST versions will clear a 30mm. As above, you might need to change the brakes as some came with 27" wheels. They are very cool, beautifully constructed bikes and the frames are the same for all component levels.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-26-21, 04:21 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a great price for those tubular tires and you came to the right place if you needed to be talked into buying N + 1,
Old 11-28-21, 09:05 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I think Chris King will be the best place to get your answer. Their customer service is quite responsive when you contact them.