Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

70s Benotto Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 12:13 AM
johnfnash

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70s Benotto Road Bike

I got this Benotto road bike that I would love you guys' opinions on value and plan for some fixes. What should I do with the rust on the fork (repaint?), the rust spots on the frame (nail polish?) ? What model is the bike?

Some minor details:
It is missing a front derailleur so I found a spare one and attached it to the post temporarily. Also put some baking soda so that I can wipe off some of the surface rust.
The rear derailleur says Huret (no idea original or not).
The serial number seems to say 3-0973 to me.
Old 11-22-21, 12:20 AM
johnfnash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not allowed to post images yet, but one can copy and paste the album link into the browser to see the images.

ibb.co/album/zVLmMr

Last edited by johnfnash; 11-22-21 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 06:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Nice brakes but that front derailleur is a bit high.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-22-21, 07:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I see Portacatena holes on the rear dropout. That places it circa 1978-1983 and at least a mid-range frameset, though the Campagnolo seat post suggests higher grade. Curiously, the fork crown style looks older than the frame itself. The remaining components appear to be a real jumble, with several replacements. The rear derailleur is a Huret Jubilee and would appear to be a replacement based based on the shift levers.. Good , clean samples of the Jubilee routinely fetch $100+, though this one would be challenged to reach that mark in it's current condition. Overall, I'd rate the condition of the bicycles only fair, based on the submitted pictures. Resubmit photos after you've cleaned it up, to allow us to have a better idea of its value. I'd also like to know the seat post diameter and whether the fork has the Columbus helical ridges on the inside, at the bottom of the the steerer tube.
Old 11-22-21, 07:22 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Regarding the fork rust, the first thing to try is aluminum foil and water. Just rub the surface and a lot of the rust will be removed. If you are satisfied with it at that point, apply a protective car wax and reapply when needed. That should help to prevent the rust from returning.

The other option is to have it re-chromed. Not as big a deal as it sounds. I had one done locally for around $40.00 to $50.00, don't remember for sure, but it was well worth it. The company removed the chrome and then did what they call "show chrome" which is the 3 step process and when it was done it looked like jewelry, seriously. If you choose to go that route, make certain they don't chrome too high on the fork and interfere with where the lower crown race will be installed. If that happens it is ridiculously hard to remove the chrome to allow the race to seat properly.
Old 11-22-21, 09:33 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Looks like a fun project.
Follow the advice above and repost pix, especially showing bike crankset side.
As T-Mar suggests that Jubilee RD could provide you the funds for a completed groupo (campy NR ?)
Old 11-22-21, 09:36 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Nice brakes but that front derailleur is a bit high.

-----

yes, but the fact that it is upside-down is perfect

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-22-21, 10:12 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Here is one that looks very similar in ages, this one looks different at the seatstays cap and brake mounting. I sold it and the buyer did the restso.

I think mine was a 1500 or 2000 model.
Old 11-30-21, 05:36 PM
MarcinW8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike
Old 12-01-21, 03:17 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
There have to be over 1,000 threads on dealing with rust. Whatever you do, avoid abrasives as that just accelerates future rust. Google will get you plenty of ideas on rust. I’m in the oxalic acid camp.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.