Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting clothing

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting clothing

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21, 09:56 PM
nicomachus

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
Commuting clothing

I recently discovered Vulpine, a line of cyclist-oriented clothing that's really well made, comfortable, and looks nice on and off the bike. I like their approach, which is neither the spandex/skinsuit nor the commuter Christmas tree. For example, their pants (or, "trousers," since they are British) look like simple dress pants; they just also have features like reflective material inside the bottom cuff (which becomes visible if you roll up the leg), a zippered pocket for valuables, a key hook, and water repellent coating. They bend in the knees and fit well in the crotch while in the saddle. Cleverly designed. (see pic below)

My only complaint is that it is hard to get their clothes in the US. There are only two places where you can order Vulpine products: Vulpine's website, and SportPursuit. Both are UK websites with all warehousing and distribution run out of a London suburb. Shipping takes about a month to get to Portland.

Now, most days, I carry clothes with me and change when I get to my office. But, if the weather is cool and I know I won't sweat much, sometimes its nice to arrive in the clothes that I plan to wear to work.

All to say, I wonder if y'all have recommendations for other clothing companies that cater to / design for cyclists who don't want to look like cyclists when they get to the office/campus.

Vulpine rain trousers
Old 11-06-21, 08:03 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/aetedemecoca.html

i wear these to commute in, in the winter I wear a merino jersey and tights underneath. In the spring, summer, and fall I just wear a normal solid color jersey.
Old 11-07-21, 11:51 AM
Dokterrock

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really liked the Levi's Commuter series - since discontinued but you can still find new items on eBay if you look around!
Old 11-07-21, 06:05 PM
nicomachus

Thanks for both of these suggestions. Too bad Levis discontinued the commuter collection.
Old 11-07-21, 07:08 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I was looking for some idea as I kept wearing out my carharts. bit I found on the side of my seat is a textured patch that was like sandpaper. I was hard plastic so I sanded it smooth. but I will think about these guys when I need new pants.
Old 11-07-21, 07:24 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
What about chrome?
https://www.chromeindustries.com/col...0&sz=36#tile-0
Old 11-08-21, 03:44 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by nicomachus
I recently discovered Vulpine, a line of cyclist-oriented clothing that's really well made, comfortable, and looks nice on and off the bike. I like their approach, which is neither the spandex/skinsuit nor the commuter Christmas tree. For example, their pants (or, "trousers," since they are British) look like simple dress pants; they just also have features like reflective material inside the bottom cuff (which becomes visible if you roll up the leg), a zippered pocket for valuables, a key hook, and water repellent coating. They bend in the knees and fit well in the crotch while in the saddle. Cleverly designed. (see pic below)

My only complaint is that it is hard to get their clothes in the US. There are only two places where you can order Vulpine products: Vulpine's website, and SportPursuit. Both are UK websites with all warehousing and distribution run out of a London suburb. Shipping takes about a month to get to Portland.

Now, most days, I carry clothes with me and change when I get to my office. But, if the weather is cool and I know I won't sweat much, sometimes its nice to arrive in the clothes that I plan to wear to work.

All to say, I wonder if y'all have recommendations for other clothing companies that cater to / design for cyclists who don't want to look like cyclists when they get to the office/campus
Have you checked with any of your LBSs to see if they'd be interested in carrying Vulpine? Also the Bike Snob likes Osloh cycling jeans.
Old 11-09-21, 01:14 PM
nicomachus

Thanks for the Osloh and Chrome recs. I'll let you know if I can convince any LBS to start carrying Vulpine.