Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Recovering from Groin Strain

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-21, 07:54 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

Had an awkward fall on the bike yesterday and believe I have grade 2 groin strain (maybe between 1-2). I'll confirm on Monday when I go have it checked out. In any case, for those who've had this I was wondering how long after you were back on the bike and what kind of schedule you started? As it's pretty much winter here I would be riding the trainer indoors. The idea of sitting on a saddle and pedaling right now is so far from my mind, but hopefully one day in the not-too-distant future :-)
Old 11-20-21, 10:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Take ibuprofen in the meantime to help with inflammation.
Old 11-29-21, 06:55 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Had an awkward fall on the bike yesterday and believe I have grade 2 groin strain (maybe between 1-2). I'll confirm on Monday when I go have it checked out. In any case, for those who've had this I was wondering how long after you were back on the bike and what kind of schedule you started?
Every injury is different, of course, and people heal at different rates.

In my case, my injury was fairly extensive. Much tearing, much scar tissue. So the recovery was intensive ... and it took a very long time. Months to walk properly again, then a couple of years of focused exercises and stretches that gradually increased in difficulty, range of motion. Was young and extremely fit at the time, which helped. Was happy to get walking, again. Was ecstatic to be capable of running, cycling and swimming, once the recovery was complete. Since then (decades ago), it's been a daily regimen of specific exercises to keep the muscles as strong as they can be.

Hopefully you've got little to no tearing. Assuming you're able to recover reasonably well from such "bumps and bruises," I suspect it'll involve a handful of specific exercises and a slow ramp-up in difficulty. If "only" a grade 1-2 strain, I suspect it'll be little different from, say, a moderate "pulled" hamstring (which often takes a handful of months, but no more).
Likes For Clyde1820: