Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Diamondback Prevail Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-21, 07:15 PM
davzimmermann

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone X05, '04 Cannondale F2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diamondback Prevail Titanium

Please tell me what I am missing here. $400 for this seems like a d—- good deal. Am I blinded by the ti and 600 tri color?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d...406007749.html

Last edited by davzimmermann; 11-30-21 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 07:55 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Steer clear -- thats not titanium - look at the alignment of the tubing sticker and how the diamondback sticker at the bottom of the seat tube is peeling

Photos of actual titanium DBR bicycle and frameset. Welded construction, not lugged and a Ti frame, even a painted one, will usually have a bit of metal exposed at the chainstays or seatstays as an accent.

Its likely a quality frame, as 600 tri color was rarely installed on junk, but hard to tell what it is -- that said, i looked up a few pics of the Diamondback Prevail online and it is a 600 tri color series machine. It might be an actual Prevail, but someone put those decals on at some point in its life -

Id offer $200 if i needed a parts kit with tri color brifters to build something else but thats probably top dollar

Last edited by DMC707; 11-30-21 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 08:08 PM
davzimmermann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you!
Old 11-30-21, 08:54 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
There has been a few mystery Diamondback DBR bicycles on this forum. While I agree that the tubing does not seem to be titanium, I would also not rule out that it may be a quality bike. Seems curious to me that someone would meticulously badge their second grade Diamondback with specific DBR Ti decals and let it languish for sale on local CL. The description indicates a flipper/reseller, and I wouldn't put it past someone I don't know to rebadge, but why this one, and why buy/use these decals? Offer low and buy low... maybe?
Old 11-30-21, 10:12 PM
davzimmermann

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As DMC pointed out, the components are nice. Perhaps not $400 nice. But still ...

This seller regularly offers interesting bikes on CL — often with mixed parts.

I do not know frames well enough to go scope this out in person without the crutch of this forum.
Old 12-01-21, 02:43 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Some of the 90's Diamond Back branded road and MTB stuff was Titanium alloy just OK mid level stuff with only the two main tubes Ti and the rest lesser cro-mo so semi legit Ti.. But Just a OK mid level road bike I would say $300 at best if everything works good and the tires are decent. Myself I would be no buy for more than $200 hate the add pics suck says 600 Tri but only shows the RD the rest Likely are not just sloppy looking not quit right build look overall.

Last edited by zukahn1; 12-01-21 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-01-21, 07:17 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I'll bet it is legit, but it isn't the sort of titanium we're all comparing it to. It is an alloy, clearly shown on the sticker. I looked it up and found the following...

What is 3Al 2. 5V titanium?
Ti 3AI/2.5V alloy is a near alpha, alpha-beta alloy, sometimes referred to as “half-6-4.” It offers 20 to 50% higher tensile strength than the commercially pure titanium at room and elevated temperatures.

Do a search for 3AL/2.5 V and this will pop up along with info from manufacturers of the tubing.

That tubing is no joke. I found the following also..."high tech military? Good enough for me."

HAYNES ® Ti-3Al-2.5V alloy

https://haynesintl.com › titanium › principal-features

Seamless tubing of HAYNES® Ti-3Al-2.5V alloy was developed for aircraft hydraulic and fuel systems. Its performance has been proven in high technology military ...
Old 12-01-21, 07:54 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
It's just a steel (likely Tange Prestige) DBR with a fake sticker. As DMC707 stated, no way that's titanium, it's a lugged frame. With a pump peg to boot!
Old 12-01-21, 08:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I concur, this is definitely not a titanium tubeset based on the traditional lugged and brazed construction. Which is all the more interesting because when the Prevail was introduced for the 1991 model year, it was one of the first road frames to use TIG welded construction.
Old 12-02-21, 09:03 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Pretty sure this bike is bounded lugged and welded part of the oddities early 90 US built multi construct bike.
Old 02-12-22, 03:18 AM
bikenraider
HTX Road Warrior

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2000's Lemond Tourmalet, Alpe d'Huez, Mailott Jaune, Wayzata, Buenos Aires, Zurich, Nevada City, Fillmore; 1997 Diamondback Expert, 2000's Bianchi Veloce, Eros, 2004 KHS Flite 800, 1984 Gitane

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have seen the same bike. To me it looks like a rebadged/repainted Centurion Master or Expert (Dave Scott model); definately steel. The drop outs don't have eyelets in them and have windows, different from the Ti version. What gets me is this is sti shifting and not downtube shifting. The fork doesn't have any badging or stickers on the side in the pic. Usually manufacturers say what the fork material is or give themselves a shout out. Could have been worn off. Speaking stickers, isn't DBR sticker on the seat tube from the BMX or MTB line up?