Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the dumbest thing another bicyclist has told you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the dumbest thing another bicyclist has told you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
so, being very 'Off Topic" - I have a different perspective on 'advice from slower' riders...
as a young person, enamored but vastly unknowledgeable about cycling, my primary and quite extensive education into 'performance' cycling came from a bunch of old, somewhat out-of-shape riders in central park, NYC.
They cajoled, made fun of me and at the same time opened my eyes to both the higher side of riding and equipment. I was very, very green, and knew that.
They were old, somewhat slow, over-the-hill gang, who took me under their wing, because my un-initiate status kept them well stoked with humor. Some claimed 'ex-racer' status from their Euro roots (all were immigrants of various nationalities). Their park benches by the boathouse, were my schoolhouse.
Much of what they conveyed, set me on a good and 'lifelong' track, some concepts have since fallen away... I've since been blessed with forming a good life, family and a reasonable living from my passions. Couldn;t have asked for better - 'more' was up to me...
The 'real' racers, at that time in the mid 60's in Metro NYC, were a tight clic, not easy to break into, without the right equipment and the real 'legs'.
So
I'm always careful not to judge an idea solely based on the physical attributes of the idea's origin.
... back to your regularly scheduled programing...

... I love a good joke, but don;t ask me to retell it properly - I just never seem to remember it properly...
same for 'dumb things heard'... if I were asked to imitate Trump... I'd fail miserably... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
The guys who give me this "advice" are typically younger than me, so I find it funny to drop them like a bad habit after the deposits of their wisdom droppings.

Talking to older guys about stuff they learned during their biking days is a whole different thing, you told that story very well.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-11-22, 03:15 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
“Blue bikes are the fastest.”
Yea that is pretty dumb. Everyone knows Red bikes are the fastest.
Likes For Razorrock:
Old 07-11-22, 03:33 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Someone said:

Please don't call them "brifters", that just sounds stupid. Really.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 07-11-22, 04:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Recumbents are more comfortable than DF bikes...that must be one of the dumbest things I've heard.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-11-22, 04:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
A bike is no better than the rider....
I'm pretty sure my bikes think they are better than me. They're probably right.
Old 07-11-22, 04:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by indyfabz
“Blue bikes are the fastest.”
My blue bikes are pretty slow. Then again, so are my red ones. Obviously, I need to try another color.
Old 07-11-22, 09:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
My blue bikes are pretty slow. Then again, so are my red ones. Obviously, I need to try another color.
Then skip white too. I have a white one and it is miserably slow on the hills - but then it might be the rider or the way too tall gearing or both.

Old 07-12-22, 05:55 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Old 07-12-22, 07:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

The dumbest advice that keeps getting repeated on BF is that you get a better workout with a heavier bike.

Note that the word "repeated" is key there. People say things that are dumber than that, but none of them are so perennial.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-22, 09:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by rsbob
Then skip white too. I have a white one and it is miserably slow on the hills - but then it might be the rider or the way too tall gearing or both.
My white one has blue on it. I assumed it was the blue slowing it down. No way it's the rider. It HAS to be the color.
Old 07-12-22, 10:49 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
To attach golf club to top tube. Dude never heard of brake cables?!?!
Old 07-12-22, 10:51 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The dumbest advice that keeps getting repeated on BF is that you get a better workout with a heavier bike.

Note that the word "repeated" is key there. People say things that are dumber than that, but none of them are so perennial.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard is that a heavy bike does NOT give you a better workout.

Physics 101.
F=MA
W=FD

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...vier-bike.html
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 07-12-22, 11:03 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Dumbest thing I've ever heard is that a heavy bike does NOT give you a better workout.

Physics 101.
F=MA
W=FD

Workout intensity depends on rider effort, not on bike weight.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 07-12-22, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Physics 101.
F=MA
W=FD

A. You can always put more weight on a light bike so the premise is stupid right off the bat.
B. Effort is your workout. Those formulae only prove you will go faster or further or up bigger hills for the same effort.
C. If you want more resistance (which is all weight provides), just crank up your gears.

Also, the bulk of the weight you are transporting is your own, differences in weight of the bike are tiny as compared to the gross vehicle weights of the bike with rider.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-22, 12:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts

Physics 101.
F=MA
W=FD
Did you ever actually take Physics 101?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-12-22, 12:11 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Had a fellow wondering why the GPS he used as an odometer wasn't working during rides on his stationary trainer.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-12-22, 12:22 PM
kirbyx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
'I thought you were going inside of me.' IOW, he said he thought I was passing on his right.

I was traveling West and signaled a right turn to go North. Some turtle's egg was riding East on the sidewalk going into the crosswalk I had to cross to complete my turn. He had to have seen me. I thought he had the right of way, and I decided he wasn't going to stop anyway, so I slowed down. He turned left at the East end of the crosswalk, so he was on a course that was parallel to mine. I was going faster than him, and I announced 'On your left'. Without looking or signaling, the shmegegi hung a U-turn, and we both went down. Fortunately, I didn't trust his competence, so I we were probably going 5 mph when we collided - but he was still crossing the road, and I was going North.

We disentangled the bikes. That's when he said it. 'I thought you were going inside of me.' He was right by the curb, for crying out loud. This was last Monday. My hand and back still aren't totally right.

I do owe the POS something, though. His arrogance and incompetence has finally gotten me to ride defensively. I avoided 3 accidents in 25 miles today (actually 3 accidents in the first 5 miles of the ride). First, a kid jumped from the sidewalk to the bike lane right in front of me, without looking, of course. Second, when I had a left turn signal to turn West, a southbound POS rode through his red light, forcing me to slow my acceleration or hit him. Easy choice. Third, I was again heading West taking a right turn. I signaled with a proper right turn signal. A rider going South and wanting to take a left turn just rode into his left lane - which was the lane I was supposed to turn into. No signal from him. I was prepared for their stupidity.

I sort wish I had hit all of them. I would have, too, except that I knew I'd probably end up hurting myself as well as them.... Am I angry? You bet I am. But I'm still going to stay defensive in my riding. (I've driven defensively for years.)
Miscommunication and inexperience can result in awful things... I have had similar situations as yourself. Pick any skill: 50% of the population are below the mean.

However, when I was younger and inexperienced, I had no idea what 'On your left' meant. It's what experienced cyclists say to each other. So when a voice from just behind me shouted 'On your left' I had no idea what it was, what it meant or what to do. On top of that, I've always had problems figuring out which hand is my right and which is my left.

So... as you said, I now assume everyone doesn't understand what I'm saying or doing when I"m on the bike, and assume that everyone is going to do something unexpected. And what about those cyclists who draft you without letting you know that they're there?. Oh, and get off my lawn :-)
Old 07-12-22, 12:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
"I have more control descending on the hoods"
”You can’t possibly brake safely from the hoods”

"I always use my aerobars on group rides"
Got nuthin’

"I only use the rear brake"
”You should only use the front brake.” Just as dumb.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-12-22, 12:34 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Did you ever actually take Physics 101?
I have taken Physics 101 (and several more physics courses as well). I see nothing wrong with CheGiantForLife‘s point. If bike weight means nothing, why has significant effort be expended in reducing bike weight? If bicycle weight doesn’t matter why don’t pro racers ride 40 lb bicycles?
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-12-22, 12:39 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Angry young woman after we told her we were having difficulty getting perfect shifting results with her department store bike:

"DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING???!!!"
Old 07-12-22, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

To attach golf club to top tube. Dude never heard of brake cables?!?!

Dude's never seen your top tube. Also, clever people can work around them. I get that lets you out.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-22, 12:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have taken Physics 101 (and several more physics courses as well). I see nothing wrong with CheGiantForLife‘s point. If bike weight means nothing, why has significant effort be expended in reducing bike weight? If bicycle weight doesn’t matter why don’t pro racers ride 40 lb bicycles?
No one argues that weight means nothing. But, a heavier bike doesn't give you a harder workout if the workout is based on effort/power, which most structured workouts are. You just go slower on the heavier bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-12-22, 12:48 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No one argues that weight means nothing. But, a heavier bike doesn't give you a harder workout if the workout is based on effort/power, which most structured workouts are. You just go slower on the heavier bike.
Did you taken Physics 101? The reason the heavier bike is slower is because it takes more acceleration and thus more force and thus more work to move.

Old 07-12-22, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Nuhh uhh, You've totally messed up what the dependent variable is here--the "quality" of the workout. No one's arguing that the bike weight "means nothing" as I stated before all the physics shows is that you'll achieve higher speeds or go a bit further for the same effort and that there's no reason that reduces the effort you'll put out on your workout.

Do pro racers work out on 40 pound bikes by the way?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-12-22, 12:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Did you taken Physics 101? The reason the heavier bike is slower is because it takes more acceleration and thus more force and thus more work to move.

And therefore?

Nothing in that precludes you doing the same amount of work on the lighter bike, you'll just accelerate faster, probably to a higher speed. Are you intentionally being thick here?
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.