Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Can someone please tell me what my vintage Peugeot racing bike worth?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 07-21-22, 04:03 PM
Khthulhu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's black and has pretty decals. And it's old.
I have uploaded an album of images but I can't embed them yet. Will a senior member please publish them for me? I want to know the bikes value, year and model.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Khthulhu; 07-21-22 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-21-22, 04:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
For us Peugeot owners often it is not the cost value of the bike itself but the ride. I picked up an old great condition Peugeot Mixti. Not really a great bike and not really worth much. Except for the Simplex Prestige Super SLJ 5000 rear derailleur with a medium cage... Ha

Welcome to the forum. Are you interested in the ride, or are ya interested in a turn over. Either way we got it here. Hope to see more details...
Old 07-21-22, 04:47 PM
Khthulhu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my black Peugeot

I'm looking to sell it.
thanks
Old 07-21-22, 05:33 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
There are many different vintage and models of the Peugeot bicycle brand that it is impossible to assist with a value estimate at this time. I checked your album and it was empty. Not only is there a wide range of vintages and models, but where the bike is located is important. For example, I live in a small city and not many people are interested in buying a vintage road bike. That said, I would not pay $50.00 for something like this Peugeot Super Sport, a later model, probably early eighties. If it was in good shape and offered in a bigger city, say Toronto, the seller might get up to $250.00 for such a bike...

For the bike below, I would not hesitate to pay $75.00 (I bought it for twenty bucks at a yard sale) and would sell it for $200, or there abouts, (that is cleaned and tuned up)...

On the other hand, I would not hesitate to pay as much as $500.00 for a Peugeot PX10 in nice condition, in my area. And, were I going to sell the PX10, I would expect to get and I would get $1000.00 US, or even more for it, if I offered it internationally (I sold this one on Ebay)...

Also, the size of a bike will impact value as will its gender. Step through or women's bikes (I don't really like the term women's) tend to be less valuable. Finally, the seller's marketing skills and effort to sell will have considerable impact on final value.

All that said, let us know where your bike is located and get enough posts (10 over two or more days) to allow you to upload pictures for us to see. Then, and only then, will some of us be able to offer a reasonable appraisal.
Old 07-22-22, 04:55 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Randy, how long ago was that ebay sale? PX10 values have dropped. Shipping internationally, particularly beyond North America, triggers significant requirements but can yield more $$.

If someone has access to Toronto local market, that is great, as prices in Toronto are about triple what I can get here.

My last caution is that it can be very difficult to get fair market value out of a bike. I have bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years, on local sales, I have never gotten FMV. On ebay, I have gotten close, but then you have fees and packing.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-22-22 at 04:58 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 07-22-22, 02:43 PM
Khthulhu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
image album

Are you guys able to see my album?
Old 07-22-22, 09:35 PM
Khthulhu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can't see my album

Ok, let's try a link to the album
bikeforums.
net/g/album/25734131

Just marry up the 2 lines above.
Likes For Khthulhu:
Old 07-22-22, 10:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,358 Times in 7,194 Posts

...steel wheels, cottered crank, brake safety levers all indicate another bike boom Peugeot, of somewhat limited value.
Old 07-22-22, 11:06 PM
Khthulhu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your assessment.
Old 07-23-22, 01:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Maybe a $100 bicycle. Tops. One of the lower-tier Peugeots.

DD
Old 07-23-22, 03:33 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would agree on the $100 or so value as is I would start at bit more say $150 if selling the paint and lug work on this one are bit nicer than you see on most lesser Puegoets. Where are you located this bike looks to be a Canadian built model from the early to mid 70's?
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 07-26-22, 10:25 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Peugeot bikes in general might be considered the "common man's" bicycle. They were just never built to any real high levels of quality like many Italian bikes typically were.
Especially as classic bike prices for such brands had fallen quite steeply in the last decade or so.
​​​​It wasn't unusual to see $1K + asking prices for many Peugeot PX10s a few years ago, but these days they can barely break the $750 - $800 price level, even in the best conditions. All of their other bike models, (except for maybe their rarest factory team racer builds) have been affected similarly by the slow market that unfortunately seems to be taking a permanent set.
But as some had already mentioned, with classic Peugeots, it more about the ride and handling than the bike themselves.

Last edited by Chombi1; 07-26-22 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-27-22, 02:06 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Randy, how long ago was that ebay sale? PX10 values have dropped. Shipping internationally, particularly beyond North America, triggers significant requirements but can yield more $$.

If someone has access to Toronto local market, that is great, as prices in Toronto are about triple what I can get here.

My last caution is that it can be very difficult to get fair market value out of a bike. I have bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years, on local sales, I have never gotten FMV. On ebay, I have gotten close, but then you have fees and packing.
Off the top of my head, I am going to guess about ten years or a wee bit less. Keep one important thing in mind. In those days and for several years after, I had a great selling advantage. I wrapped my website, MY "TEN SPEEDS" around every sale, be the sale domestic or international.

I got four figures for the X10 plus $226.00 US to cover shipping to Japan. I might add that the bike reached it Japanese destination a few days after a big wave did a lot of damage to Sendai (not sure about the spelling).

To get the best shipping price, I cut my boxes down to fit under defined length plus girth totals. In this case, I cut the box down to the size indicated by the black tape on an uncut bike box. It takes a while but does, dramatically, reduce the cost of shipping. Fedex wanted close to $600.00 US to ship the bike but Canada Post did it for the already mentioned $226.00...

As for getting fair market value, I am not ever sure what that is. Determining value of a vintage bike is tricky. I have been very lucky, in my opinion, having failed to get a decent price only a few times. I actually lost money three times and, though it grieves me to this day, got less than $40.00 for this old Legnano frame/fork set...

I must add that it is not always worth my time to pack and ship a bike these days due to the absurd shipping prices. I let bikes go cheap, just to help buyers buy bikes from me. Like I said, it has reached the point where it is not worth my time (about four to six hours to pack a bike) or effort (really hard to do anything, these days, with my arthritic hand issues) to sell bikes anymore. I did sell three frame/fork sets this year and that has, pretty much, convinced me to give it all up.
Old 07-27-22, 06:09 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I'd try for $150.00 and see what happens. You can always come down but generally not up, although I have seen it happen when something was lowballed at the start and the interest tipped the seller that maybe they had something special.

Anyways, to me, the market for that bike is someone who finds value in vintage things. Those people are out there. Someone will likely see the bike and appreciate the style, the moniker, the age. I've mentioned this before but I sold a his/hers department bike pair to a young couple who thought they were the greatest things ever. Go figure.

Make sure it is clean and functional and let 'er rip.
Old 07-27-22, 06:19 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
I could probably get $100 for it in central CT after a good cleaning and tune-up.
Old 07-31-22, 11:54 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I dont know if I have ever seen a black Peugeot UO-8. On color alone I'd up the price to $200.