Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I feel crappy about a bike theft...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I feel crappy about a bike theft...

Old 08-23-22, 11:26 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
It's my belief that in high crime areas, your best bet (if it's practical) is to take EVERYTHING inside with you and leave the car doors unlocked. Then the thieves won't break your window to get in. They can open a door, browse through the console and glove box, and go away empty handed. Oh wait, your stereo might get pinched. Or the whole car. Never mind.

Guy on the radio the other day gave an interesting but useless bit of trivia: there is a town in northern Canada or Alaska, don't remember exactly, where it's illegal to lock the doors of your parked car. The reason: someone might need to hop inside at any time to escape a bear attack.
I used to never lock my car, because (i) it's a rusty slow-as-balls 20-year-old Subaru, (ii) it's a stick-shift, and (iii) I never left anything worth stealing in it - hell, the stock stereo still has a cassette slot. Once in a blue moon, someone would go through it when it was street-parked overnight, but nothing broken, nothing taken - so what, right? A few months ago, someone went through it while it was parked for ~15 min outside the supermarket. I returned to find the contents of the center console - bits of paper and a few disposable masks - dumped out on the ground. That was the final straw for me - I'm not worried about the car or its contents being stolen, I've decided that I'm done with randos sitting in my seat and going through my car.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-23-22, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Sorry, but if someone can't be bothered to lock their bike, it's not my job to put myself at risk to maybe save their bike.
IMO,there's way too many ways for your intervention to go south on you for you to feel bad about it, and the fact that the bike was unlocked made it a whole lot less clear that the bike was being taken without ownership.

When I was younger, I pony rode a few bikes that I owned. By itself, I wouldn't find that especially suspicious.
Old 08-23-22, 12:36 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I used to never lock my car, because (i) it's a rusty slow-as-balls 20-year-old Subaru, (ii) it's a stick-shift, and (iii) I never left anything worth stealing in it - hell, the stock stereo still has a cassette slot. Once in a blue moon, someone would go through it when it was street-parked overnight, but nothing broken, nothing taken - so what, right? A few months ago, someone went through it while it was parked for ~15 min outside the supermarket. I returned to find the contents of the center console - bits of paper and a few disposable masks - dumped out on the ground. That was the final straw for me - I'm not worried about the car or its contents being stolen, I've decided that I'm done with randos sitting in my seat and going through my car.
I have a 20 year old Honda CRV. It's my park at the Park & Ride, Trailhead, and transport bicycle inside car. 200K miles on it and it serves a great purpose. I still lock it up all the time and leave nothing in view. The dark tinted windows and tono cover help.
Old 08-23-22, 12:38 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Simple and easy. But let your fingers do the walking -- stay back and zoom in with the phone camera.
Yes! Don't try to get up close and personal. That could invite unwanted problems.
Old 08-23-22, 12:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Have a similar memory that has plagued me for the last 35 years. Was following a friend driving through a redwood forest in Northern CA We were miles in with not a soul around to be seen, nor their vehicles. In the midst sitting in an empty parking lot was a black lab looking out at the road. I drove by trying to keep up with my fast friend. Have regretted to this day not going back and rescuing that poor dog.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-23-22, 01:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
40+ years ago a HS football teammate of mine observed a man walk into his neighbor's garage and steal (ride off) with his neighbor's bike.
My friend sprinted after him and tackled the thief onto the pavement and landed on him breaking the thief's femur.

Sometimes Good Samaritans do not get harmed in these instances.
unfortunately today that would probably land your friend in jail.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-23-22, 01:35 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
I Guy on the radio the other day gave an interesting but useless bit of trivia: there is a town in northern Canada or Alaska, don't remember exactly, where it's illegal to lock the doors of your parked car. The reason: someone might need to hop inside at any time to escape a bear attack.
The bears have caught on to that trick.
Old 08-23-22, 01:44 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
I've stopped to use a public restroom, and just rolled my bike inside with me.
Note to self: in the future, remember to turn off the GoPro.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-23-22, 01:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
that's a crappy selfie.
Old 08-23-22, 02:21 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad about it. In another country maybe. In America you never know when some lunatic will shoot you in the face with no warning.
Old 08-23-22, 03:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
You didn't actually know the third bike was stolen. Yes it looked suspicious, and indeed it turned out to be the case, but you didn't know. Riding a crappy bike, being poor, ghost riding a bike... these are not crimes. Heck, I've probably ghost ridden a nicer bike while riding a crappy bike, whilst poor. No thievery or drug use was involved.

From another perspective, there's no way in hell I'd want someone to put themselves in danger, to protect a bicycle I've chosen to leave outside.
Old 08-23-22, 04:24 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Isn't there a thread with biking videos?
Old 08-23-22, 05:46 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Anytime I've tried to bring my bicycle in a store, I was asked to leave it outside. I wasn't going into a supermarket, just a convenience store or gas station usually.
Now, I just assume it's unwelcome anywhere & don't stop off anywhere. Sucks, but it is what it is.
That has happened to me twice. Once at a gas station and once a mcdees. I have probably brought my bike in at least 100 other places though. I ride with flat pedals so I don't have the road/mtb bike shoes that clip/scratch the floor. Maybe that helps?
Old 08-23-22, 06:30 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
You didn't actually know the third bike was stolen. Yes it looked suspicious, and indeed it turned out to be the case, but you didn't know. Riding a crappy bike, being poor, ghost riding a bike... these are not crimes. Heck, I've probably ghost ridden a nicer bike while riding a crappy bike, whilst poor. No thievery or drug use was involved.
This is the most helpful thing to remind myself when I was feeling some regret over my inaction. It's only in hindsight that I feel I perhaps should have intervened. At the time, I really didn't have reasonable suspicion to confront the individuals.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-23-22, 07:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,301 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul

Anytime I've tried to bring my bicycle in a store, I was asked to leave it outside. I wasn't going into a supermarket, just a convenience store or gas station usually.
Now, I just assume it's unwelcome anywhere & don't stop off anywhere. Sucks, but it is what it is.
And yet around here, people walk in the same types of stores that ask you to leave your bike outside with dogs.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-24-22, 01:07 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
I wouldn't confront them either; it's just not worth the risk and a bike is replaceable (and hopefully insured).

If I'd seen something that suspicious, then I'd probably have phoned the police from the car to give them a heads up and a recorded description, and maybe waited in the car to see what way they went.
Old 08-24-22, 04:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
reminds me when I first moved to Boston, in my early 20s, was out walking w/ my girlfriend for dinner & such, we were down around the Fanuel Hall area when I saw a young well dressed, college age kid, ripping a radio & wires out of a BMW. I shouted & gave chase. I wasn't much older than him so I was able to give a good chase but he was faster. chased him all over Fanuel Hall in & out of buildings & alleys even shouting at a cop on a scooter to help, w/o any luck. the kid lost me. I believe in hindsight, I had a realization that it could have gone very wrong, for me. I was naive I guess
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-24-22, 04:27 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If I take the risk of leaving my bike unattended, I would NEVER expect another cyclists to put his life on the line to prevent the theft of my lousy albeit expensive machine. That would be on me.

I stay out of cities. Of the 4 times a knife has been pulled on me, it was always in a city. Avoidance is the best defense.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-24-22, 04:49 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
That has happened to me twice. Once at a gas station and once a mcdees. I have probably brought my bike in at least 100 other places though. I ride with flat pedals so I don't have the road/mtb bike shoes that clip/scratch the floor. Maybe that helps?
these stores I'm referring to don't have wooden floors. The stores just take kind to our types...
Old 08-24-22, 05:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
40+ years ago a HS football teammate of mine observed a man walk into his neighbor's garage and steal (ride off) with his neighbor's bike.
My friend sprinted after him and tackled the thief onto the pavement and landed on him breaking the thief's femur.

Sometimes Good Samaritans do not get harmed in these instances.

​​​​​​Doesn't mean that it was a good idea, that story could easily have had a really bad outcome. If it were my bike, I wouldn't want your friend to put himself at risk like that.
Old 08-24-22, 07:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
Instead of confronting them and risking personal harm, just take a picture of the thieves and the bikes.
Taking a photo would likely be seen, by thieves, as "confronting them." And it would be utterly useless, since all the cops do in those situations is write a report and move on. It's not like they're going to put the thieves' pictures on milk cartons, or run facial recognition software, for a relatively trivial crime.
Old 08-24-22, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
It's my belief that in high crime areas, your best bet (if it's practical) is to take EVERYTHING inside with you and leave the car doors unlocked. Then the thieves won't break your window to get in. They can open a door, browse through the console and glove box, and go away empty handed. Oh wait, your stereo might get pinched. Or the whole car. Never mind.

Guy on the radio the other day gave an interesting but useless bit of trivia: there is a town in northern Canada or Alaska, don't remember exactly, where it's illegal to lock the doors of your parked car. The reason: someone might need to hop inside at any time to escape a bear attack.
I and a cousin used to live a couple of blocks from each other BITD. Car break in were common. She had a decent Acura. At some point she stopped locking the doors because she got tired or replacing windows, and her stereo had already been stolen. She would also leave a note on the window noting there was nothing of value to steal. The car itself never got stolen. That would probably be different today.

When I bought my Forester in 2016 it as only my second vehicle and the first with electronic locks. Early on I forgot to lock the doors with the key thingy. Someone stole the winter floor mats out of the back. WTH? What sort of resale market could there possibly be for them? I would imagine some shady guy standing on the corner in a trench coat. He opens one side of the coat, revealing the stolen good, and says "Who needs winter floor mats for a 2016 Forester? I got some winter floor mats here, cheap."

And the town you are thinking of is Churchill, Manitoba, Canada:

7 Things You Didn't Know About Canada · Kenton de Jong Travel
Old 08-24-22, 03:31 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And the town you are thinking of is Churchill, Manitoba, Canada:

7 Things You Didn't Know About Canada · Kenton de Jong Travel
Yep, that's the one. Good catch!
Old 08-24-22, 04:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Good catch!
Your mention of the law reminded me that I had heard about it a long time ago but had forgotten about it, so I used the Googles.
Old 08-24-22, 04:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've tried to be a good Samaritan in the past but it can be risky. You never know if the person is armed.
When The Older Boy was working as a Courtesy Jerk Clerk at Safeway, he was told DO NOT attempt to stop shoplifters.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.