Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Off road touring bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Off road touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 07:14 AM
Sjoerd2121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off road touring bike

Hello,

I would like to buy an new bike and I don't have much knowledge about bikes.

I am planning to do daytrips and multi day trips on the bike on different terrains, like cities an nature.

So I am thinking about getting an off road touring bike, something like a bomtrack beyond, kona sutra ltd, salsa fargo, surly bridge club.

I bought an Giant toughroad slr 1 but brought it back because it is more like a gravel bike and the steap head angle I don't like.

I am interested in a Cube travel because I think is has a more comfortable head angle and it is cheap. Only I think the bike is not really potent.

So I am searching for a pontent off road touring bike that has a comfortable head angle, more like a moutain bike without a suspension (makes sense?).

A bike that can handle different terrains well with a comfortable riding postions without sacrificing too much when we talk about speed. A bike with around 2.0 inch tires.

My budget is under 2000 euros.

I am 1,95-2,00m in lengh so it needs to be a xl or xxl bike.

Thank you for taking the time to think about it and help me.

Greetings,

Sjoerd Gehrels
Old 09-04-22, 09:13 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Sjoerd2121
...So I am searching for a pontent off road touring bike that has a comfortable head angle, more like a moutain bike without a suspension (makes sense?)....
so get a mountain bike without a suspension.

lotsa folks have taken older mountain bikes (longer chainstays) and converted to touring.
Old 09-04-22, 12:18 PM
Sjoerd2121

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a great idea.

I see that the Vitus Sentier has a chainstay length of 439mm an for some reason I know that that is great for a travel bike.

The Vitus has also an stack hight of 661mm what gives the bike a more upright body position on the bike I think, what I like.

I think the Vitus Sentier is a great value for money bike.

I assume I can always swap the suspension fork for a rigid fork an put less wide tires on it?

The rims on the bike are 'WTB i30 TCS 2.0'. Can I put 2,0 inch tires on these rims or do I need to buy other rims to fit 2,0 inch tires? If so, can I fit those rims underneath the vitus?

What are more inportant geometry specifications for a travel bike?

Thanks
Old 09-04-22, 03:24 PM
OneGearIsEnough

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love my Salsa Fargo for touring. I first used it on the southern half of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (in New Mexico and Colorado). It did great.

Since then I've used it on other tours, even when the majority of the roads are paved. At this point, I don't think I will ever go back to a traditional touring bike for touring. The Fargo is so much more flexible, since you can ride it on any surface.

I use it with Teravail Sparwood tires, which I also recommend. I've never had a flat tire with them.
Likes For OneGearIsEnough: