Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Just finished a brief tour in Ireland

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-10-22, 12:45 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts

I just spent 2 weeks riding (and busing) in Ireland. Mostly, on the Wild Atlantic Way, the west coast. I sent out 3 updates during this trip.

The first one described my train, bike, ferry, bike, bus, bike trip from near Heathrow to Kinsale, where the real biking portion of the tour started.

The second one described the 5 days riding from Kinsale to Killarney, the bus from Killarney to Galway and the riding from Galway to Leenane.

The third one described the last day's ride to Clifden, an off day hiking in Clifden, and the bus, train rides to Belfast, a day exploring Belfast.

I am a US citizen and I only had to show a passport when arriving at LIverpool from Northern Ireland!

A few random observations:

Ireland is very hilly. One day, I did over 3400 feet of climbing but never got higher than 400 of elevation.

Ireland's driver's are very patient. I wasn't honked at once nor felt particularly unsafe, even on National roads.

While Ireland's coast are interesting, they are not dramatic.

The Irish are very friendly.

I'll write up a detailed journal with hundreds of photos soon and post a link here when I have.
Likes For raybo:
Old 09-12-22, 07:04 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
....While Ireland's coast are interesting, they are not dramatic.....
Im going to have to strongly disagree on this point, and Ive got the photos to prove it!

Looking forward to seeing your pics.