Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2022 Kona Sutras.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2022 Kona Sutras.

Old 10-01-21, 09:49 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
2022 Kona Sutras.

I'm surprised no one else seems to have started this thread. There are 3 Sutra models. Interestingly, the "Sutra" has a GRX drive-train and a front rack, but somewhat puzzlingly no rear rack. The "Sutra SE" seems to be the standard classic low-maintenance touring specs that don't seemed to have changed the last couple years. The rear rack looks better than the 2020 and 2021 models, but I don't notice any other differences. The third option is the "Sutra LTD". I didn't pay much attention to this model, so I don't know if it's changed.

There was a rumor on this board 2021 would be the last year Kona offered the "classic" touring Sutra with bar-end shifters. I'm glad it's still available as the "Sutra SE", though I'm curious why they added "SE" to the title while titling the higher-end GRX version "Sutra".
https://www.konaworld.com/platform_sutra.cfm

Last edited by AlanK; 10-02-21 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 03:18 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
That Sutra LTD would make a heck of a gravel bike.
Old 10-02-21, 07:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Pretty interesting lineup, they clearly are aware of the market, and still aware that a triple is still useful for long tours with more stuff.
neat of how the drivetrains cover just about every base there is!
Old 10-02-21, 01:25 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
The rear rack on the SE as pictured on their website is the same rear rack that came on my '21 Sutra.

Of course, the '22 Sutra has the BEST color scheme out of the entire lineup...I'd trade for a '22, but I like how it rides, the MSRP on the '22 is way higher than I paid for my '21, and the '22 doesn't have bar ends...so, pass.
Old 10-02-21, 01:29 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by djb
Pretty interesting lineup, they clearly are aware of the market, and still aware that a triple is still useful for long tours with more stuff.
neat of how the drivetrains cover just about every base there is!
I agree, the lineup covers just about everything. The standard Sutra and SE are well suited for all-road touring and the LTD looks great for trails and other rough surfaces, so there's a model for any need.

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
The rear rack on the SE as pictured on their website is the same rear rack that came on my '21 Sutra.

Of course, the '22 Sutra has the BEST color scheme out of the entire lineup...I'd trade for a '22, but I like how it rides, the MSRP on the '22 is way higher than I paid for my '21, and the '22 doesn't have bar ends...so, pass.
Unless I'm hallucinating, the SE has bar-ends, and yes, I like the color scheme more than my 20', but that's not important to me. The price increase isn't surprising considering widespread inflation of most products.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-02-21 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 01:58 PM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by AlanK
Unless I'm hallucinating, the SE has bar-ends
You are not hallucinating; the SE does have bar-ends. I was referring to the standard '22 Sutra, which does not.
Old 10-02-21, 02:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
The LTD model reminds me very much of my troll, sloping frame, drops, ability to take wide tires. I see the stock tires are 2.25 on 27mm internal width rims, and a dropper post too, and obligatory one buy.
And speaking of buy, shheeeet, it's $3300 Canadian buckaroos, that comes to $3800 With tax--i find this bonkers expensive. No fd, no left shifter..... really?

price complaint aside, I've always found the sutra to be a classy looking bike. Colour schemes, paint job, general setup.
Old 10-02-21, 09:51 PM
ndrose

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Looking at the photos, the Sutra appears to have 32h wheels, while the Sutra SE maintains 36h. However, the rims are listed as the same. Looking at the WTB website, I’m only seeing 32h for that rim. But obviously Sutra has had 36h with that rim in the past. Anyone know what the story is?
Old 10-02-21, 11:02 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by ndrose
Looking at the photos, the Sutra appears to have 32h wheels, while the Sutra SE maintains 36h. However, the rims are listed as the same. Looking at the WTB website, I’m only seeing 32h for that rim. But obviously Sutra has had 36h with that rim in the past. Anyone know what the story is?
I don't know the story, but you're right. The "Sutra" and "LTD" appear to have 32h while the "SE" has 36h. The SE seems more intended for fully-loaded touring, while the Sutra and LTD are more gravel oriented, but still, it's puzzling they wouldn't just spec all of them w 36h.
Old 10-03-21, 12:08 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Looking at the pictures it appears that only Sutra and Sutra LTD have a tapered head tube, and Sutra SE does not.
Old 10-03-21, 03:07 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by csport
Looking at the pictures it appears that only Sutra and Sutra LTD have a tapered head tube, and Sutra SE does not.
The LTD geometry is different from others, with a more sloping tt. As best I can tell the Sutra and SE have the same geometry. Again, the SE is intended mainly for all road touring, the LTD more for off-road and gravel, while the 'Sutra' sort of splits the difference.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-03-21 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-04-21, 05:36 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by AlanK
As best I can tell the Sutra and SE have the same geometry.
What's curious is, before Kona announced the '22 Sutra models, there were actually geometrical differences between the '21 Sutra and the Sutra SE. Of course, Kona's website doesn't have (or I can't find) the '21 data.
Old 10-04-21, 10:47 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
What's curious is, before Kona announced the '22 Sutra models, there were actually geometrical differences between the '21 Sutra and the Sutra SE. Of course, Kona's website doesn't have (or I can't find) the '21 data.
I compared the 2022 SE, 2021 Sutra, and 2020 Sutra below. Since there were no changes between the 20 and 21, I incorrectly assumed the 22 SE has the same geometry, but it doesn't. The difference is fairly modest, but the SE has a longer wheelbase and more upright position, so is more stable when fully loaded.
https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=k...ona-sutra-2020.
Old 10-22-21, 04:51 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
How far out is Kona on actual "we have it in the store"?
Old 10-26-21, 10:25 AM
Whodat?
2 sober 2 care

Bikes: 2009 Orbea Gavia, 2013 Raleigh Sojourn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nomadmax
How far out is Kona on actual "we have it in the store"?
Mine has been on order for about a month and I am still getting sometime in the future.
Likes For Whodat?:
Old 10-26-21, 11:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
FWIW, I walked into a Trek store last month only to find out I could order a bike now for delivery in late summer of next year.

I was able to buy a spare tube on the spot, though.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-27-21, 12:17 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by pdlamb
FWIW, I walked into a Trek store last month only to find out I could order a bike now for delivery in late summer of next year.

I was able to buy a spare tube on the spot, though.

Yeah, I originally ordered a 2021 Sutra from my LBS in Spring of 2020. They originally expected it October of that year. It still hadn't arrived by early this year, so my LBS understood why I opted to look elsewhere. Fortunately I found a 2020 Sutra in my size about 300 miles away.

I'm really glad I got it and hopefully since parts and components are often warehoused locally they're easier to get than complete bikes which are usually manufactured, assembled and shipped from overseas via freighter. For anyone who might not know the ports are still a mess.
Old 08-31-22, 05:17 AM
labondadosa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I am a new owner of a Kona Sutra, I am waiting now to receive it. Excited is an understatement! I was planning to add a rear rack, but I am not sure if they are compatible or not. I was thinking on purchasing a Tubus rack, but not sure if they will fit? These two I liked because of a lower center of gravity for side panniers (kindly let me know if I'm wrong here): Tubus Cosmo / Tubus Grand Tour (can't post links yet)

Thank you! By the way, I named my bike "La Bondadosa". 😜
Old 09-02-22, 09:30 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Like the one I saw outside of the local REI I will admire it from afar. Gold Colored Version. Neat bike.