Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

SEATAC - Air France Oversize Baggage

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 05:17 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Anyone have any experience taking their bike on Air France out of SEATAC?

Where is the Air France oversize baggage counter? Next to the regular counter I hope. (bicycles in boxes must be checked there)
How much did they charge you to take your bike in an oversize box (Sum of 3 axes more than 62" but less than 118") My understanding is the fee varies according to the type of ticket and it is hard to know until you check your bike
I'm thinking of taking the FLIX bus from Portland to SEATAC. Hopefully luggage carts are available at the bus stop or I will need to unpack the bike to get everything the 1/4 mile to the check-in counter.
Is Air France known for having bicycle boxes?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-22-22, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Sounds like $55 for a flight departing outside the EU.

https://iran.airfrance.com/informati...rmat-airfrance

Also sounds like you need permission.

As for location, you might have better luck calling the airport and asking.
Old 09-22-22, 02:30 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Ouch!

I visited the link you sent earlier but you prompted me to visit again and this time I followed it a little deeper and selected my sporting equipment and read the definition of the geographic zones. It looks like $150 to ship the bicycle each way.

I'm delaying my trip until late October so I am sending inquiries to bike shops in Barcelona about renting a bicycle. I plan to be there about 3 weeks and I don't ride too many miles per day so I could get by on a hybrid and renting may save money and be less complicated.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sounds like $55 for a flight departing outside the EU.

https://iran.airfrance.com/informati...rmat-airfrance

Also sounds like you need permission.

As for location, you might have better luck calling the airport and asking.
Old 09-26-22, 12:18 PM
kevmcd

To close this thread out I will add the updated information.

I just bought my Air France tickets and there was an "add a bike" option which was $150.

I will probably just rent a bike for 21 days. It's 15 euros per day which is pretty expensive for 20 days but works out about the same as the round trip baggage charge of bringing my own bike and it looks like a pretty nice bike.
https://www.terrabiketours.com/bike-...ike-barcelona/

FYI tickets from Seattle on Air France are ridiculously inexpensive right now if you have the ability to get their frequent flyer miles. I recently traded out credit cards to get the 80k Chase Sapphire sign on bonus which allows points to be transferred to Air France among other airlines.