Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 04-30-20, 06:43 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Didn't have a lot of time this afternoon, and somewhat less ambition. Many's the time those circumstances would have conduced to a quick spin on the Minuteman, but under the circumstances I took the Trucker DeLuxe up Mass. Ave. to Lexington Center and back. Low 50s and a tail wind to start, and a surprisingly spunky headwind on the return.

Arlington Heights: a decorative hearth out left out on the street for the pickers.

Arlington Heights: how to shovel your front steps without a shovel.

East Lexington: morale-building propaganda in the front yard.

Mal's yard: Any time, any place, any size!

East Arlington: home again.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-01-20 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-30-20, 07:54 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
One advantage of gloomy days is the Minuteman is a very quiet time.

First time in weeks I could go all out with little to worry about but the squirrels and the bunnies. No retimed lights. No cars. Few people. Just an empty ribbon of macadam.

(Maybe I’m overthinking, but the squirrels in particular seem to have forgotten how to cross the road.)

Anyhow, I always say hi. This time I stopped to take a picture.

-mr. bill

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Cary is a friend of friends. I taught my friends’ child soccer, he taught them bikes.

On March 24, 2019, showers ended before dawn and it was the first glorious spring day, hitting 60s but with some gusty winds. Cary headed out for his first ride of 2019 on the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway, heading towards Bedford from his home right off the Minuteman in Arlington center. Early afternoon in Lexington he clipped handlebars with another rider heading in the other direction. They both crashed badly, both were taken to Lahey Hospital. The other rider was released a few days later. Cary didn't make it.

Next Mission: Since it's spring, a garden center

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-30-20 at 08:04 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-01-20, 06:57 PM
rholland1951

Thought I'd do another race-the-weather ride this afternoon, and I guess technically speaking I did that, but the weather was just so beautiful that it didn't feel like it. Rode the Rawland out Mass. Ave. to Lexington Center, then enjoyed the rolling hills on Woburn Street as far as Solomon Pierce Road, pedaled past any number of Mickey Mansions and a few well-designed and well-built houses, diffusing through back roads to Maple Street, then onto Lowell Street and down past the Lexington Community Farm (formerly Busa Farm), the Arlington Reservoir, and the Schwamb Mill, then onto Mass. Ave. at the Foot of the Rocks and rolled down the hill to East Arlington and home. Stunning day!

Broadway, East Arlington: best exemplar of the Greek Revival style remaining in the neighborhood, set off with cherry blossoms.

Arlington Center: minimal traffic, 4-to-1 ratio of Minuteman riders to Mass. Ave. riders. I stayed on the road.

Lexington Community Farm. I've lost track of what these people actually do, but I gather they have a CSA. Guess I should look into that.

Arlington Reservoir Beach: nominally, this opens June 13th. In its deserted state, I found it reminding me of the polio epidemics of the 1950s, and having my father explain to me why we couldn't go swimming on a hot summer day.

East Arlignton: home, and on to the next thing. Always something.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-02-20, 07:09 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
It was nice to get out but I quest I went later in the day

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Thought I'd do another race-the-weather ride this afternoon, and I guess technically speaking I did that, but the weather was just so beautiful that it didn't feel like it. Rode the Rawland out Mass. Ave. to Lexington Center, then enjoyed the rolling hills on Woburn Street as far as Solomon Pierce Road, pedaled past any number of Mickey Mansions and a few well-designed and well-built houses, diffusing through back roads to Maple Street, then onto Lowell Street and down past the Lexington Community Farm (formerly Busa Farm), the Arlington Reservoir, and the Schwamb Mill, then onto Mass. Ave. at the Foot of the Rocks and rolled down the hill to East Arlington and home. Stunning day!

Broadway, East Arlington: best exemplar of the Greek Revival style remaining in the neighborhood, set off with cherry blossoms.

Arlington Center: minimal traffic, 4-to-1 ratio of Minuteman riders to Mass. Ave. riders. I stayed on the road.

Lexington Community Farm. I've lost track of what these people actually do, but I gather they have a CSA. Guess I should look into that.

Arlington Reservoir Beach: nominally, this opens June 13th. In its deserted state, I found it reminding me of the polio epidemics of the 1950s, and having my father explain to me why we couldn't go swimming on a hot summer day.

East Arlignton: home, and on to the next thing. Always something.

rod

18/30/30/25/15 Yesterday I left Sherborn at about 18:00 thinking 30% chance of rain rather than 30% water but did get in 25 miles averaging 15 mph. Only saw three others out and about as many cars doing a loop through Dover, Westwood and back. My rain jacket worked well. Today I’m hoping my shoes dry out and my feet forgive me.
Likes For sherbornpeddler:
Old 05-02-20, 07:50 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler

18/30/30/25/15 Yesterday I left Sherborn at about 18:00 thinking 30% chance of rain rather than 30% water but did get in 25 miles averaging 15 mph. Only saw three others out and about as many cars doing a loop through Dover, Westwood and back. My rain jacket worked well. Today I’m hoping my shoes dry out and my feet forgive me.
Oh man, all-weather riding, the real thing! May all your downpours be pleasantly warm.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-02-20, 01:37 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
I took an early morning ride from East Arlington to Bedford this morning. The weather was beautiful. I took the Minuteman outbound (fairly quiet), but to avoid the increasing activity in Lexington and Arlington centers on the way back, I switched to Bedford St where it crosses the bike path and followed that to Mass Ave and then home. As others have started, there's a lot less congestion on the streets than the bike path.

The flowering trees at the Bedford Depot are near peak and look great:

Do you remember when those trees were too small to provide any shade? (it wasn't that long ago!)
I kept my distance from my fellow riders.

The Lexington Green was unnaturally quiet:

I'm glad I went out early, I'm guessing the Minuteman would later have been uncomfortably busy in these scary times.

I need to try Rod's loop that goes under 128 via Middle and Lincoln Streets. I had not been that way in many years and had forgotten about that route.
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 05-02-20, 02:40 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
John, I thought about you as Sharon and I did our morning walk wearing masks at 8:30 AM. Waltham now requires masks on everyone over 5 in any public space. Was wondering how you and Susan were doing. It's good to see your name here again! We are doing okay but Sharon won't let me ride now. Instead, we stay in our fortress. I sit by the front door with a shotgun across my lap watching carefully for viri particles which happen to waft by. So far I haven't seen any but you never know...

I did get a nice ride outside this afternoon but didn't go anywhere. Just spun a Cycleops' trainer's resistance mechanism around and around and around.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 05-02-20, 06:25 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Wednesday morning I rode 26 miles on my Allroads. It put me up to and just over 2000 miles for the year. Thursday I rode 28 more and although it wasn’t supposed to rain until 8:00 AM. I got rained on at 6:00 AM. No biggie, it wasn’t down pouring so I managed to keep from being overly uncomfortable as I didn’t bring one piece of rain gear.

Today I set out mid morning on my Seven Redsky. I tried to wear a bandana around my neck as the new norm. Surprisingly it worked out well. I was certain my glasses would fog over like happens with my winter balaclava. Luckily that didn’t happen. I pulled it down on lone stretches of road. The highlight was riding the backroads through Carlisle into Acton. The pleasures of Springtime were enjoyed as I soaked in the greenery listening to the birds and smelling freshly cut grass. 53 miles in all.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-02-20, 07:58 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Very nice to hear from you and good to know you are keeping an eye out and free range cycle-ing. Sharon is right. Susan reminds me better to regret being a little too cautious than to look back and wish we were a little more cautious. Like you, we go out for morning masked walks. I have gone out for a few rides. Last week, masked the whole time, rode 5 miles on the new, very nice Wayland West part of the Central Trail. There were times I felt like I was contributing more than I should to the population density so I'll save a return for a downpour. Out here on the metrowestern frontier I've gone out for a few solo rides with mask ready to pull up whenever there is company within 50 meters. I think about wind direction, relative wind speed, turbulance and then a car full of people goes by. Masking up hills is difficult and dubious so yesterday's as-solo-as-cycleops rain ride was relaxing with a few doses of wet brakes and wet glasses.
Likes For sherbornpeddler:
Old 05-03-20, 04:38 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Probably the wrong forum to post this but I did my first commute to work this year on Saturday. It was 6.44 miles to work, On the way home I took the long way home 11.84 miles home. What I want to say is how much I enjoyed the ride home. Its just a different feeling riding home. Have not had that feeling for a while. Can't wait to do it again on Monday.
Likes For jsilvia:
Old 05-03-20, 02:45 PM
mr_bill

The “busy” times out in the world on Saturday.

At Arlington Center, social distance two-stage turn box:

At The Middle East in Central Square:

Harvard & Beacon in Allston:

Back to Arlington Center, a “huge” social distancing crowd:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-03-20, 03:01 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by jsilvia
Probably the wrong forum to post this but I did my first commute to work this year on Saturday. It was 6.44 miles to work, On the way home I took the long way home 11.84 miles home. What I want to say is how much I enjoyed the ride home. Its just a different feeling riding home. Have not had that feeling for a while. Can't wait to do it again on Monday.
Any post about bike commuting is a good one regardless of where it is posted.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 05-03-20, 03:07 PM
mr_bill

But generally riding during a quietine is very lonely:

Kenmore crickets:

By Fenway:

Deep end is shallow now (Paula’s ghost bike):

Heroes here:

Never, ever, has Riverway been this vacant:

EVER (turning left onto Longwood at Temple Israel:

Extra lane in Coolidge Corner:

Harvard Square (with a huge headwind):

p.s. One lonely Lime reappeared:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-03-20, 03:19 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Today I set out much earlier than yesterday, 0630 on my Seven Redsky. I sorta retraced yesterday’s route but I added extra side roads in Weston and in Carlisle. I stopped in at Ferns for the first time this year for a snack. It was absolutely everything that I seek in riding around here. Beautiful Spring scenery, warm weather and endless miles of roads to be enjoyed. 61 miles in all.

Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-03-20, 06:59 PM
rholland1951

Set out on the Surly Trucker DeLuxe in the late afternoon, no particular route in mind, and ended up improvising a ride that more or less traced the convex hull of Belmont Hill, approximated as a triangle, 12 miles through Arlington, Lexington, and Belmont. Threw in an architectural excursion up Peacock Farm Road, and crossed the Clark Street footbridge in Belmont, which I have fond memories of as a one-lane bridge I could drive my Fiat 128 across back in the day.

Arlington Center: Wash your hands, everything will be alright. Sound advice regardless of context.

Pleasant Street, Lexington: riding past the Wilson Farms fields.

Peacock Farm Road, Lexington: I had been meaning to ride here for some time. "Peacock Farm house" denotes a particular affordable modernist style of house that was instantiated in a number of Lexington neighborhoods, but first on Peacock Farm Road. I've known a couple of people who lived in them, and they were happy with them. Peacock Farm even has a Wikipedia page. The houses in this photo are typical of the type. Peacock Farm Road curled and climbed, without an end in sight, and I turned and rode down the hill after a bit of climbing. I'll return another day to explore the top of it, and see where it goes.

Winter Street, Belmont: riding through the Belmont Country Club. The golf course was as green as the Wilson Farms field, but less productive. Declined the opportunity to climb the Marsh Street incline.

Mill Street, Belmont: this was once McLean Hospital, a damned fine mental hospital. Some of it may still function, but a great deal of the campus has been developed as cushy residential property. Personally, I think that's nuts. But at least it's close to the golf course.

Beaver Brook Reservation, Belmont: fresh air, running water.

Clark Street footbridge, Belmont: this connects Route 60 with Royal Road. I'm so glad it's been preserved; sometimes the angels win one. The Library of Congress remembers this.

Cross Street, Belmont: many signs saying "Hope". Seems to me we had Hope for awhile, and then somehow elected Hopelessness.

Cross Street, Belmont: this tricks the eye better than it tricks the camera, but the kids shut out of the elaborate wooden climbing structure in the closed playground do get the point.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-03-20 at 07:37 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-04-20, 06:05 PM
rholland1951

Quick ride on Mass. Ave. to Lexington Center and back on the Nordavinden before dinner, enough wind to fly the flag, clouds like brocade.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-05-20, 07:20 PM
rholland1951

Wherein the bear went over the mountain, pursued by peacocks...

I had bailed on getting to the top of the hill on Peacock Farm Road the last time I was out there, and was curious about what I'd find. It being the 21st Century and all, I got a few hints from Mr. Google, and decided to go see for myself this afternoon. After all, it was a fine day for a ride, sunny, breezy, and one of the several perfect temperatures for pedaling in circles. I ended up riding a 10-mile loop that climbed Peacock Farm Road, went over the hill to the East Lexington ridge that lies between Mass. Ave. and Route 2, and finished with a fast descent through Arlington Heights, much of it on Appleton Street; this last had a large wheee!!! factor. Mass. Ave. served its usual back-and-forth function.

I paused at the Robbins Cemetery on Mass. Ave. If a boneyard can be said to be intimate, this is it.

Climbing Peacock Farm Road, which goes snaking up the hill. The architectural idiom of the houses is consistent right to the top.

Over the crest of the hill, and Peacock Farm Road becomes Baker Ave., still in Lexington but a different gestalt, like going from Oz back to Kansas.

Took Bennett Ave. to Tarbell Ave. (every street is an avenue in that neighborhood), and used Southerland Woods to cross from Lexington's parcel of the ridge to Arlington's, which have no road connection.

The Arlington passage through the fence seems to be a trifle informal. Narrow, but the bike fit.

This put me on Udine Street, Arlington, the beginning of a series of brisk descents that got me home in a trice.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-06-20 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-06-20, 08:52 PM
rholland1951

Took the Rawland on a 10-mile loop up through Arlington, Medford, and Winchester, up the Mystic Valley Parkway along the Mystic River, the Mystic Lakes, and the Aberjona, then climbing into the Fells; at some point the name changes to South Border Road, and trail heads and fire roads suggest other rides on other bikes, but I turned onto Governors Ave. for a step descent, then picked up High Street for another hill to climb, crossing the tracks in West Medford to pedal home on Harvard Street.

Looking across the Upper Mystic Lake from the Mystic Valley Parkway.

Continuing up the Aberjona towards Winchester Center.

Winchester: gingerbread and a cupola as the Mystic Valley Parkway starts to climb up into the Fells.

Into the Fells, and the initial climb gives way to a series of rolling hills.

The top end of Governors Avenue is unprepossessing, but what unfolds is a staged descent on an avenue with aisles of mature trees and lovely old houses in a variety of styles, a record of local history if one could read it. Down I went, rolling fast on smooth pavement and no traffic. Too much fun to stop and take photos.

As I headed up High Street, an awkward shift resulted in my chain folding back and catching a link in the front derailleur cage. It never did that before. After a little inspection, and some gentle trial-and-error, I tried putting a little counter-clockwise torque on the non-drive-side pedal, and that freed the chain. I resumed riding the bike, and was pleased that I was able to perform the High Street climb and descent with no drive train malarky. I rolled home without further incident.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-07-20 at 10:48 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-07-20, 12:22 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

As I headed up High Street, an awkward shift resulted in my chain folding back and catching a link in the front derailleur cage.
What in some circles is referred to as chain suck. With just the right combination of tooth spacing, chain ring separation, chain flexion, and stretching the chain gets stuck on a tooth on both chain rings. If you do it with enough force on the pedals it can get suck pretty hard.

The unfortunate consequences include dragging the chain against the chainstay and if you were pedaling hard enough pulling the RD forward hard enough to break it. That happened to me on a commute one rainy night about 1/10th of the way home. In the blink fo an eye the rear wheel locked and spun out and I hit the ground hard. Fortunately only the RD and my headlight mounted on the left side of the handlebar came away hurt too badly to be fixed. I had to rebuild the wheel but that was easy.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 05-07-20, 01:37 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by jimmuller
What in some circles is referred to as chain suck. With just the right combination of tooth spacing, chain ring separation, chain flexion, and stretching the chain gets stuck on a tooth on both chain rings. If you do it with enough force on the pedals it can get suck pretty hard.

The unfortunate consequences include dragging the chain against the chainstay and if you were pedaling hard enough pulling the RD forward hard enough to break it. That happened to me on a commute one rainy night about 1/10th of the way home. In the blink fo an eye the rear wheel locked and spun out and I hit the ground hard. Fortunately only the RD and my headlight mounted on the left side of the handlebar came away hurt too badly to be fixed. I had to rebuild the wheel but that was easy.
Aye. I'm used to an instance of chain suck on the Surly Trucker DeLuxe, in which the chain gets lodged between the small cog and the chainstay. This thing with the Rawland was more exotic, involving as it did the FD cage and an origami fold of several inches of the chain on two chainrings of the crank. In either case, the pedals lock, but free wheeling continues, so no crashing so far. Calling the dance of chain links and gear teeth with derailleurs and shifters perhaps deserves its own muse.

rod
Old 05-07-20, 08:02 PM
rholland1951

Another afternoon with better than anticipated weather had me out on the Surly Trucker DeLuxe again, up to Lexington Center and back on Mass. Ave.

Mass. Ave. and Appleton Street, always a caution, turned deadly this week. The guy standing across the street arrived on a bicycle, and appeared to be gathering traffic data.

East Lexington: it's Spring, anyway.

Turned around at Depot Square, Lexington, just to give an identity to the turnaround point. In the process, I found that the Yangtze River restaurant is gone, probably for years. That was my "third place" during a period of my professional life, decades ago now. It seems odd that it's gone, and even odder that I didn't notice.

Speaking of third places, I read recently that Toraya in Arlington has lost its lease and closed April 30th. Seems the landlord is going to knock the building down and build a vile enormity. May he suffer a case of galloping eczema, and may the Toraya folks find another restaurant space, preferably in Arlington.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-07-20 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 05:35 AM
russtopherb

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2019 Jamis Allegro Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Alas, no riding for me this week southeast of Boston. Picked up some food poisoning earlier this week that's wiped me out. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get out a few times this weekend to make up for it.
Old 05-08-20, 07:08 AM
mr_bill

Another afternoon with better than anticipated weather had me out on the Surly Trucker DeLuxe again, up to Lexington Center and back on Mass. Ave.

Mass. Ave. and Appleton Street, always a caution, turned deadly this week. The guy standing across the street arrived on a bicycle, and appeared to be gathering traffic data.

rod
That's almost certainly Tom, the admin of a cambridge bike facebook group. We are a small large community, or a large small community. This hurts.

Originally Posted by Charlie Proctor's brother
Charlie was killed last night, just nineteen days before his twenty-eighth birthday. He was a kind, adventurous man who spread his joy and zest for life to everyone he knew.

Charlie loved the outdoors. Winters he could always be found in the mountains, backcountry skiing and ice climbing, and summers bicycling, climbing, and sailing. He spent his last birthday on mount Denali, climbing the Kasin ridge. Charlie loved sharing his passion with those he loved. He was always pushing us to push our own limits and exit our comfort zones. He was always encouraging, caring, and loving in his support. We have heard from countless friends of his telling of the adventures that he took them on that they never would have embarked on without his encouragement.

Charlie worked at Architectural Engineers, Inc. He had just achieved his Professional Engineer certification, and had worked on HVAC building designs on projects around the Boston area, including Logan airport the Tufts University library, and the Worcester tourist center.

Charlie was killed at the corner of Appleton Street and Massachusetts Avenue in Arlington, just ten minutes away from his home in Somerville. It is a busy, four way forked intersection. The only traffic control is four flashing yellow lights which did nothing to protect him as a driver turned left though the fork and hit him head on. We visited the scene of the crash this afternoon, where a resident told us that crashes at this intersection are a chronic problem.

The family hopes that effective traffic control can be installed at this intersection, so that no others need to suffer through the grief and terror that we have. He is survived by his parents, Ched and Judy Proctor, his brother Tom, sister-in law Sandra Voss, his girlfriend Alison Piasecki, and many cherished friends.
-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-08-20, 07:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Took the Rawland on a 10-mile loop up through Arlington, Medford, and Winchester, up the Mystic Valley Parkway along the Mystic River, the Mystic Lakes, and the Aberjona, then climbing into the Fells...

I turned onto Governors Ave. for a step descent, then picked up High Street for another hill to climb, crossing the tracks in West Medford to pedal home on Harvard Street...

The top end of Governors Avenue is unprepossessing, but what unfolds is a staged descent on an avenue with aisles of mature trees and lovely old houses in a variety of styles, a record of local history if one could read it. Down I went, rolling fast on smooth pavement and no traffic. Too much fun to stop and take photos.

As I headed up High Street, an awkward shift resulted in my chain folding back and catching a link in the front derailleur cage. It never did that before. After a little inspection, and some gentle trial-and-error, I tried putting a little counter-clockwise torque on the non-drive-side pedal, and that freed the chain.

I resumed riding the bike, and was pleased that I was able to perform the High Street climb and descent with no drive train malarky. I rolled home without further incident.
Originally Posted by jimmuller

The unfortunate consequences include dragging the chain against the chainstay and if you were pedaling hard enough pulling the RD forward hard enough to break it.

That happened to me on a commute one rainy night about 1/10th of the way home...
Aye. I'm used to an instance of chain suck on the Surly Trucker DeLuxe, in which the chain gets lodged between the small cog and the chainstay.

This thing with the Rawland was more exotic, involving as it did the FD cage and an origami fold of several inches of the chain on two chainrings of the crank. In either case, the pedals lock, but free wheeling continues, so no crashing so far.

Calling the dance of chain links and gear teeth with derailleurs and shifters perhaps deserves its own muse.
Hi @rholland1951 and @jimmuller,

I LIKED the above particular travelogue by rod because riding through Medford, Winchester, and the Fellsway is a favorite ride I don’t do too often since most of my riding is south of Boston through many roads well-known to our OP, @sherbornpeddler. Governor Street was a particularly pleasant discovery.

I overlooked the episode of “chainsuck, and passed by the photo (BTW, how pristine is your drivetrain, rod.)

Nice description of "an origami fold of several inches."

I once posted about my worst case of chainsuck a few years ago:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Riding versus Training"

One other thing I learned during my trial phase of this training program is not to underestimate hills when doing intervals. I once was riding up a hill in too high a gear, barely pedaling to stay upright, and my chain fell off the front cog and got wedged between the seat tube and pedal crank.

I had to pull so hard to remove it that I bent a link, causing the chain to skip with each rotation.
I had posted about my last mountainous road ride in Pennsylvania in 2015:
…Compared to the hills of Metro Boston, I consider that I rode over two mountains, shorter perhaps, but with grades as challenging as I had encountered in Colorado (but that was 35 years ago) .
Now there are plenty of nice rides around Boston, but what made this ride special were the mountains; see BD’s Ride with GPS.
There were also some steep backroad hills,

and I occasionally got stuck in too high a gear, saying to BD, “I gotta learn to respect these hills.”
↓↓↓↓

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-08-20 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-08-20, 08:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
ɅɅɅɅ
I LIKED the above particular travelogue by rod because riding through Medford, Winchester, and the Fellsway is a favorite ride I don’t do too often since most of my riding is south of Boston through many roads well-known to our OP, @sherbornpeddler.

Governor Street was a particularly pleasant discovery.
.FYA, I found this post from 2013:
Only had an hour to ride today. Tried something new, extending a recent ride out the Mystic Valley Parkway to South Border Road in Winchester with a return on Governor's Avenue, High Street, and River Street in Medford.

This made for a 9-mile loop, with an interesting mix of parkway, suburban, and urban riding conditions, one long, steep (11%) climb, lots of rolling hills, 663' of climbing, and some new insights into Medford, a city I've lived next to for decades, but never much explored.

This ride feels like a keeper, with a lot of variety packed into an hour, a less homogeneous alternative to my standard 10-mile Minuteman thing. It may also be the beginning of more rides that go East, rather than West.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-08-20 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.