Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

no IGH commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

no IGH commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 08:57 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2008 Rocky Mountain Metropolis.

A IGH is a fantastic drivetrain for a commuter especially for foul weather. My Alfine has been flawless thus far.

Old 01-04-10, 09:05 PM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dynamic Synergy. Been out for about a year?

https://www.dynamicbicycles.com/buy/Bikes.php?prodid=75

World's first drop bar road bike to use an Alfine, according to the website.

Edit: D'oh! Already mentioned.

Last edited by Hot Potato; 01-04-10 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 09:21 PM
zoodude
Internal gears FTW!

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Reliant, 2010 Schwinn Sporterra NX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/b...os8/index.html

sheldon brown likes em.

i personally have a schwinn sporterria nx8. i like the flat bars for commuting no matter what the distance simply due to the amount of control and comfort it gives. In a tight situation i rather be upright than caught in the drops....
Old 01-04-10, 11:26 PM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing I have learned with my IGH is that you want to put more emphasis on having a robust tire. Fixing a rear flat on my Swobo Dixon is kind of a big deal - it isn't terribly hard to get the wheel off (though there is an extra step or two), but I have to worry about putting the axle back in the dropout in just the right place on each side to get the right chain tension and the wheel in straight. (I use allen bits for measurement). And for some reason, the disc brake often needs a little adjustment. Don't understand that one. I'm looking forward to the way I wear out the exisitng tire so I can replace it with one of my spares - a Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Come to think of it, the next time I take the tire off at home I'll just put the M+ on then, and save the weaker tires for the front. After the winter anyway, because I have studs on now. The Kenda Kwests that came with the bike are advertised as being highly puncture resistance but I wouldn't buy them alone.

Fixing a rear flat on a bike with derailleurs is also messy, but at least you don't have to fuss with any adjustments.

Last edited by kmcrawford111; 01-04-10 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 08:02 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Because they also understand that noone REALLY wants this bike.

We'll see how the Civia does. I've already heard the whining about no generator hub though. And if it did have a hub, there would be whining about whether it was the right hub, or whether they put a light on it, and if it was the right light, and if there was a rear light, and if THAT was the right light, and on and on and on down the theoretical BF ideal commuter bike list.

New riders aren't going to buy the Bryant, and people that have been around a lot of different bikes aren't either because they will likely find something they don't like about it. That leaves a fairly narrow group that *thinks* they know what they want.
Okay, but where you're talking about bikes, I'm talking about components. Ever since I outgrew the shiny new 1973 Schwinn Speedster I got for my 11th birthday, I have customized my bikes to suit my needs. Over the years I've learned what components I'm willing to pay extra for, and which ones I'm not. I wouldn't expect any commuter bike to come with a $300 LED lighting system, and frankly even the dynamo hub is a pretty minor upgrade. Regardless which one you chose, they exist. For example, if you want a dynamo hub that fits in a 16" wheel and doesn't blow up conventional lights, you get a Schmidt; it's pricey, but your LBS can order one for you, and problem solved. If you want to go cheap, you can put a conventional dynamo hub in a little wheel and build your own LED lights; all the electronic components are out there, and you can buy them over the internet. Of course most people aren't going to go to that level of aggravation, but the option is there for those who chose it.

The problem with the IGH / drop bar combination is real. No hub manufacturer makes an IGH hub shifter sized for road bike bars (15/16", AKA 23.8 mm). This is not a problem your LBS can solve, and the only DIY options involve a machine shop.
Old 01-05-10, 05:42 PM
tedi k wardhana
transport, not sport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, maybe slightly off topic,
the last one year I commute on my 3sp IG 16" wheel folder.
I am planning to convert my single speed roadbike to 3sp igh with coasterbrake, just like my folder.
I am no fan of dropbars, so I will not have problem with the gripshifter.
(but hey, I might hide the shifter somewhere under my seat, so my handlebar would be as clean as a beach cruiser bike.....)
Old 01-05-10, 06:03 PM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some DIY options to mount a twist grip shifter on drop bars.

One is a split handle bar with a mountain diameter section.

https://viksbigdummy.blogspot.com/200...-drop-bar.html

Another is a Minaura accessory bar.

https://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Space-.../dp/B000BMUF1G

Paul
Old 01-05-10, 09:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
Actually, boy and girls, riders used Sturmey three- and -four speed hubs & trigger shifters on dropped bar bikes for decades. Successful; nobody ever seemed to complain (this was the same era that derailleur users shifted from the downtube and didn't complain).

The modern paradigm equates drop bars with brifters. To that end, I've been shifting my T3 hub with a low end Shimano LH triple brifter for several years now - works fine, but a lot more expensive and IMO not any better than an SRF3 with a classic Sturmey trigger.

HTH,
tcs
Old 01-06-10, 08:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Actually, boy and girls, riders used Sturmey three- and -four speed hubs & trigger shifters on dropped bar bikes for decades. Successful; nobody ever seemed to complain (this was the same era that derailleur users shifted from the downtube and didn't complain).
Hey, you're preaching to the choir now! Here's the trigger shifter on my 1950 Norman.
But it's not so easy with a Nexus Inter-8 or SA XRF8.

I've tried the split handlebar thing, and I've used a flat bar with drop ends; both are workable solutions, but I haven't tweaked either one to perfection yet. DIY is fine with me, but I do wish the industry would tackle this problem for me.
Old 01-06-10, 09:42 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
That's what I though too They're too complex to maintain and repair. If I was riding in nice weather I'd get one again but I'm going to stick with regular gears for now, I just wipe them drivetrain after each messy ride.
They're not too complex. Just that most LBSes are stupid, lazy, and incompetent. So as usual if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.
Old 01-06-10, 11:01 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There may not be that many off the rack options is this niche category. But come to think of it, I don't own any off the rack bikes. I run Alfine 8 on my Crosscheck with drop bars and a Jtek shifter bar end. It's an awesome set up.

The Jtek shifter is perfect, precise, and bullet proof. When I first got it Jay Guthrie the owner of JTek was responsive and helpful when I had stupid questions. Unfortunatley he had to cease production for a time due to his battle with cancer. But JTek is now back in business being run by his son. Good people, and good products.

https://jtekengineering.com/
Old 01-06-10, 11:30 AM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone run a regular friction bar end shifter with a IGH?
Old 01-06-10, 11:43 AM
SlowRoller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
Has anyone run a regular friction bar end shifter with a IGH?
AFAIK, they won't work on anything with more than three gears. Not enough cable pull. I've also read that it can prematurely wear down your IGH.
Old 01-06-10, 01:46 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I put an Alfine on my utility bike. Liked it so much I decided to move it to a new commuter I am putting together.

IGH ... I'm a big fan.

Using the Shimano trigger shifters (RapidFire?).

Not a drop bar but old-fashioned "English Racer" bars. This is on a Robin Hood.

As for handlebars on the new bike, it will probably have ... I haven't decided. I like drop bars, but, to be honest, I rarely ride in the drops.
Old 01-06-10, 02:43 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For drop bars and Shimano 7 and 8 speed hubs the Jtek is an excellent solution that is also an option for the Sunrace Sturmey Archer 8 speed hubs. I am using one on a drop bar Alfine hub bike. Unfortunately it is not available for SRAM iM9 or Rohloff hubs as both use LOTS of cable pull to shift full range and the Rohloff uses a dual cable pull-pull shift mechanism design with the shifting indexing in the hub. For those either the split handlebar, Hubbub or something like the Minoura accessory mount to allow mounting the twist shifter are necessary. I am using a home machined version of the Hubbub with a drop bar and the SRAM P5 hub and shifter on one bike and it works fine.

If you have a bike with a old style stem then a short straight bar end clamped to the stem can also provide a mount for a twist grip style shifter. IIRC this is shown in a photo on the Harris Cyclery web site.

I agree that the manufacturers of IGH units are ignoring the needs of those who want drop bar IGH shifting but historically such riders have been a small minority of the market. Remember that historically IGH bikes have been city bikes or upright commuters in the major markets for IGH units, Europe and Japan. Historically Great Britain is the only country with a tradition of sporting bike use of IGH units and SA made a number of close ratio and medium ratio hubs for such use until the derailleur took over the sports bike market.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 01-06-10, 02:50 PM
SlowRoller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
... or something like the Minoura accessory mount to allow mounting the twist shifter are necessary.
Depending on your tastes, I think the Nitto Lamp Holder is a nice-looking, although more expensive, alternative to the Minoura: https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...roducts_id=873
Old 01-07-10, 10:20 PM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using the alfine with jtek adapter on my Trek 520 with drop bars and love it for long distance commuting. Mind you where I live is pretty flat, but I will never go back to a standard setup if I can help it....
Old 01-07-10, 11:52 PM
Lot's Knife

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 3 here, and we don't really have bad weather. It just looks elegant.
Old 01-08-10, 12:19 AM
ScottCarney

Bikes: 2010 Davinci JointVenture, 1994 Specialized Epic Comp, 2007 Steelhead custom road bike, Surly CrossCheck, 1999 Kona MuniMula MtB, Wife:Civia commuter, Steelhead custom road, 1993 Marin Mtb Extracycle , Kids:Trek tag-along, Jet20, Trek830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly CrossCheck, Nexus 8, Hub Bub bar-end adaptor and twist shift. I put about 3000 commuting miles on this bike between Leiden and Amsterdam and Leiden and Delft last spring. I now commute 8km rt in Illinois.

You might note that the terrain in both places has something in common. The IGH is really bloody heavy, but it's a good trade where I've used it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0343.jpg (73.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-08-10, 06:13 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my IGH commuter setup-

SRAM S-7 IGH shoved into the back of a Motobecane Messenger [formerly fixed gear]

Since I am currently unemployed (hence I have no job to commute to) and I also own a Detour Deluxe I took the S-7 wheel off and converted it back to SS and added a new form of 'utility' with a homemade front rack.
This is what the bike looks like today-
Old 03-21-10, 09:39 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been all over this forum trying to get an answer to a question about the Alfine 8. Mine seems to slip a tiny bit occasionally. Should this be expected? It's just a bit of a soft spot in the pedal stroke in certain gears. Or should it feel no different than a regular geared bike?
Old 03-21-10, 09:55 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Three of my four machines have IGS:

1. Trek Mountaineer, converted with a NuVinci CVT.
2. Surly Big Dummy, Rolhoff 14-speed IHG (and a Stokemonkey, so some may say it is cheating; in my defense, I use it mostly when I have to go up into the serious hills and/or have a very heavy load.
3. A Greenspeed tadpole tricumbent; Shimano 8 speed with a Schlumpf.

Number four is a Montegue Paratrooper; I plan to convert it to an IHG soon.
Old 03-21-10, 10:01 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elkhound
Three of my four machines have IGS:

1. Trek Mountaineer, converted with a NuVinci CVT.
2. Surly Big Dummy, Rolhoff 14-speed IHG (and a Stokemonkey, so some may say it is cheating; in my defense, I use it mostly when I have to go up into the serious hills and/or have a very heavy load.
3. A Greenspeed tadpole tricumbent; Shimano 8 speed with a Schlumpf.

Number four is a Montegue Paratrooper; I plan to convert it to an IHG soon.
So any chance you can help with my question? This is an oldish thread I resurrected after a search to try to get some answers. Thanks
Old 03-22-10, 03:50 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daredevil
So any chance you can help with my question? This is an oldish thread I resurrected after a search to try to get some answers. Thanks
Did you make sure the hub is adjusted as it should? If it is I think you should just ride it. If not do it, or have it done.
Old 03-22-10, 04:11 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badmother
Did you make sure the hub is adjusted as it should? If it is I think you should just ride it. If not do it, or have it done.
Took a couple days to finally get the answer but it turns out my hub is adjusted fine. The feel I get is typical of IGH I find because of the clutch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.