Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Only one Bike?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Only one Bike?

Old 03-21-19, 12:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Dschmale
I'd probably rephrase this question because one bike will never suit all your needs ideally. I'd ask, "If you had to spend good money on only one bike, would it be a fat bike?" In that case, absolutely. Relatively efficient roadies, for brewery cruises and such, can be had for cheap. The fat-bike does everything else well and you tend to get more as you spend more, relative to a road/gravel/hybrid.
If I could only spend a ton on one bike, it would be on a FS (non-fat, non-plus) mountain bike. Give me a $4K MTB and I can easily find another $2K worth of stuff I want and would completely appreciate the difference.

OTOH, $1500 has gotten me just about all the Fat bike I really feel like I want/need, including a dropper post. That might start to push $1,800 once I get new/lighter tires and replace the bar. Of course, the reason I don't feel the need to trick out the fat bike too much is that I have a much nicer FS MTB for non-winter A-game riding. I don't really care if the fatty is heavy, I'm not going all that fast in the snow and slop I bought it for, anyway.
Old 05-15-19, 09:44 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It really depends on your biking lifestyle. A fatty is #5 based on the number of miles I put on the bikes I own / ride.

1. CX
2. IGH Hybrid w/ rack, panniers
3. Road bike
4. Full sus MTB
5. FATTY!!!
6. Fixie
7. Vintage steel
Old 05-15-19, 10:55 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
In the USA I strictly ride road bikes, but when living/working in the Philippines I split riding duties between my carbon Muluk and Marin Four Corners Elite. My rides are usually on mixed surfaces and having chubby tires is a bonus. I could have done fine with a full suspension MTB, but where is the fun in that. For me the fatty is kind of a novelty/indulgence, but it sure puts a smile on my face and gets a lot of smiles as I roar by on Dillinger 5s. Moreover, my ability to get much of a workout riding the crowded, rough streets of Manila is limited, but the added rolling resistance of the fatty truly gives me a good workout in a shorter distance.
Old 05-16-19, 04:42 PM
flieger

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo, 2021 Fatback Corvus

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
I only get one bike, but I live an hour West of Las Vegas and ride open desert, washes and the like so a fatty is it for me!
Likes For flieger:
Old 05-16-19, 06:38 PM
Dr.Lou

Originally Posted by flieger
I only get one bike, but I live an hour West of Las Vegas and ride open desert, washes and the like so a fatty is it for me!
I am from the Reno/Carson City and never contemplated a fat bike for that area - plenty of snow in the winter too. Thanks for planting that seed.
Old 05-19-19, 09:29 AM
flieger

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo, 2021 Fatback Corvus

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
This is less than two miles from the house:

Likes For flieger:
Old 05-20-19, 08:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by flieger
This is less than two miles from the house:

You have plenty of riding right out your back door. Awesome.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 05-21-19, 08:32 AM
darwink1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
As the owner of a foes mutz I think I can honestly say yes, it could be my only bike. This is mainly because I have not ridden any of my other bikes since getting it. Its spring here btw.

I rarely of ever ride on the road and mostly ride the local rocky, rooty single track. I'm a bigger dude so Im hard on bikes.

I've read some of the responses here and I honestly think it's silly to compare a fully rigid fat bike to a regular fs trail bike. Apples and oranges man. If youre conna compare at least compare rigid to rigid, front suspension to front suspension and fs to fs. I laugh when I see all the comparison videos on youtube where a fattie with a ****ty bluto is put up against an fs trail bike with fox bits front and rear. Of coures the trail bike will do better than the fatty, thats just common sense and a test really shouldn't be needed to come to the obvious conclusion. Comparing a fatty to a road bike is just silly.

So far the mutz has turned out to be my dream bike and I'm not overstating things. Its fairly light compared to some of the steel cranked, 10" travel, triple clamped deals I've owned/own but also seems to handle rough terrain damn good. After I swapped the bluto for a wren 150 things only got better. Its surprisingly lively and loves to jump and can plow down chunk without breaking a sweat. In places where I'd be slowing down to pick through the rocks on a conventional skinny tired bike I just maintain speed and let the fat tires do their thing. If I encounyer a wet marshy or sandy area that would normally necessitate walking the bike I can just keep on truckin.

I honestly can't name one scenario on my trails where I'd choose another bike...

D
Old 05-21-19, 08:34 AM
darwink1

Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
I am from the Reno/Carson City and never contemplated a fat bike for that area - plenty of snow in the winter too. Thanks for planting that seed.
Theres a dude in your area who rides a foes mutz with a monster t up front. He races it in cyclocross events and sometimes podiums...

D
Old 05-21-19, 08:36 AM
Dr.Lou

Originally Posted by darwink1
Theres a dude in your area who rides a foes mutz with a monster t up front. He races it in cyclocross events and sometimes podiums...

D
Thanks, I’ll ask around when I home in July.
Old 05-21-19, 08:39 AM
darwink1

I have pics of him riding it but have to wait till I'm allowed to post on here.

D
Old 05-26-19, 05:44 AM
darwink1

Cyclocross on a Foes Mutz.