Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

33 Weight Status

Old 03-23-22, 09:02 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
166 this AM.
Old 03-28-22, 05:29 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
I'm at 160. Still. Saw a book review on the Frank Vandenbroucke and he was about my height and 140. That's pro weight, and I'm 46, but still, I'd like to split that difference. I think over the years not being about to lose that last 5 to 10 pounds has kept me from better results.
Old 07-07-23, 09:23 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

166. 8 and 8.6% body fat per InBody test https://inbodyusa.com/products/inbody570/. We have the machine at the gym.
Old 07-08-23, 12:01 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Holding at 155lb. Unexplained rapid weight loss stopped so maybe I don't have cancer.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-08-23, 10:13 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 159 Posts
Stuck at 170 at the moment. Way too much muscle from lifting still hanging around.
Likes For procrit:
Old 07-08-23, 04:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Liked 3,117 Times in 1,643 Posts
still at my normal 145 - 150 lbs each morning. Was 155 - 160 prior to 2019.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-08-23, 11:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
165.5 this morning. Lightest since before the pandemic.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-09-23, 09:53 PM
Surfer3287

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Weighed in 61.1kg; that means I’ve broken 135 for the first time since 2021. Completely lost the weight training gains since moving back to Korea last August.
Likes For Surfer3287:
Old 07-12-23, 08:34 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Just hit 142; I peaked at 158 when I was out but crawled my way back. I still have about 3-5 to go, but for the most part I measure using bodyfat calipers.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-24-23, 07:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

164.2 - new low for me but no apparent change in muscle mass. Feel great.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-08-23, 09:09 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I have been on the new nutrition a.k.a. diet program for a month. Weight is 165.6 this morning. So far, the new plan has been transformational for me - hard to believe. I am much stronger in the gym, riding out of my mind on bike. I did 4 interval sessions this week and feel great. Some of my old guy aches and pains just vanished, skin is better/tighter, and my left knee that was starting to hurt on hard efforts just healed up. And this is just phase one of the program - adaptation without changing too many things.

The doc predicted the above result but I was skeptical and still am to a point. Let's see how it plays out long term.

The changes to my diet were pretty massive. I ate the same thing most of the time at meals and he eliminated 80% of the foods and replaced them with others in different combinations and forbid me, yes forbid me, from eating certain things - some of which I like and thought were healthy. And I have to eat constantly. 3 meals and 3 snacks per day. It is hard to eat all the food specified on my meal program per day. I am never hungry.

Water - drinking the required water per day is very hard to do. I am finally up to 85% of what is required. I pee all the time which is annoying. But I feel fabulous and I am scary fast on the bike.
Old 08-08-23, 10:22 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by Hermes
I have been on the new nutrition a.k.a. diet program for a month. Weight is 165.6 this morning. So far, the new plan has been transformational for me - hard to believe. I am much stronger in the gym, riding out of my mind on bike. I did 4 interval sessions this week and feel great. Some of my old guy aches and pains just vanished, skin is better/tighter, and my left knee that was starting to hurt on hard efforts just healed up. And this is just phase one of the program - adaptation without changing too many things.

The doc predicted the above result but I was skeptical and still am to a point. Let's see how it plays out long term.

The changes to my diet were pretty massive. I ate the same thing most of the time at meals and he eliminated 80% of the foods and replaced them with others in different combinations and forbid me, yes forbid me, from eating certain things - some of which I like and thought were healthy. And I have to eat constantly. 3 meals and 3 snacks per day. It is hard to eat all the food specified on my meal program per day. I am never hungry.

Water - drinking the required water per day is very hard to do. I am finally up to 85% of what is required. I pee all the time which is annoying. But I feel fabulous and I am scary fast on the bike.
Purposely vague on what foods you are eating? I'm guessing you are going somewhat lower-carb or paleo.

I'm 152lb today.
Old 09-17-23, 09:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Been on the low end for me the past few days, right at 145 lbs. I seem to weigh less when I'm not training heavily. On paper it seems counter intuitive, but to me it makes sense somehow, or at least feels correct. Like I'm not bloated from having to eat and drink all the time. Lower consumption in and out, but still enough exercise to be lean and have a high metabolism. More even baseline energy too. This is probably what a healthy person is supposed to feel like.

When the training and overall consumption go up, I tend to creep up a few lbs closer to 150. That's usually not till mid November or so.
Old 10-30-23, 03:02 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Post body weight and trends - gain or loss and any relevant comments on weight loss or gain strategies. Does weight loss or gain impact your power?
For me, the slow and steady, calculated approach is the best for balancing performance and weight management. What I notice is that if my daily calorie deficit is too low, regardless of weight, my power output and endurance suffers. More than 200-400 calories a day deficit and the drop in performance is pretty noticeable after a while. At 700+ cal deficit for even just a few days, on bike performance suffers tremendously. The problem is that to get that accurate with calories, you have to weigh / measure everything that goes in your body and keep a good log of your training. Kind of tedious, but I don't think you'll find your optimal w/kg without doing that. In general, I think this is one of the harder problems to solve, and one that I've struggled with (both knowing and unknowingly) for a while.

I also think weight loss is doable during the race season, but the window of concurrently having high performance with steady weight loss is so slim it is best left to the off season where having bad days on the bike aren't as detrimental.
Old 11-06-23, 08:15 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Been on the low end for me the past few days, right at 145 lbs. I seem to weigh less when I'm not training heavily. On paper it seems counter intuitive, but to me it makes sense somehow, or at least feels correct. Like I'm not bloated from having to eat and drink all the time. Lower consumption in and out, but still enough exercise to be lean and have a high metabolism. More even baseline energy too. This is probably what a healthy person is supposed to feel like.

When the training and overall consumption go up, I tend to creep up a few lbs closer to 150. That's usually not till mid November or so.
Your body starts storing more gycogen for one with more training stress. Second, training stress increases water retention or weight to facilitate recovery.

I weigh most at the first “peak” in TSS after a slump caused by “life”. Then as load becomes regular the weight comes back off.

I knew none of that, that’s what slowtwitch told me a couple times.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-29-23, 09:27 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Ate very clean yesterday, lots of water, no wine with dinner, and was 143# this morning . Almost feel like adjusting my weight down in Zwift (from 145) but I'm too lazy / don't care enough to do that. Plus, it's probably karmic payback for having it set there for years and usually being a couple lbs heavier, lol.
Old 12-03-23, 07:36 PM
Surfer3287

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Winter is here, and I have no trainer (it's at my wife's apartment an hour away), so lots of gym work for me. I was down to 60.5kg at the beginning of October (lowest ever) and now building back up with some muscle - scale said 61.8kg on Friday night at the gym.
Old 02-22-24, 09:10 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

156.4 this AM.
Old 02-23-24, 10:01 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

156.4 this AM.
That's a lot of weight loss in 6 months! I'm curious how you are doing it, and what you are "forbidden" from eating, and if you are still doing that, and how the energy levels, sleep, mental state, etc are doing as well.

I've been slowly shifting to a much higher carbohydrate percentage, with lots of fruits, potatoes, rice, juice, etc. I eliminated pretty much all vegetable oils, which has nixed all pre-packaged foods, fried foods, etc. Your results sound very similar to what I'm seeing, so I'm wondering how close our diets are.
Old 02-23-24, 01:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

procrit My weight loss was due to the cycling accident / crash and hospital stay last year. I went into the hospital at 165 at 9.5% BF and came out at 146 with my muscles and neurology shredded. Everything was shredded including chest wall, abs, postural, coordination and etc. It was pretty awful. Think concentration camp. The details are too gruesome, boring and quite frankly demotivating to post. They are behind me.

This AM 156.8 with a BF of 7.5% measured at the docs via skin calipers and with an InBody resistance machine. My legs are back but my ass needs some more work. This weight is too light for me. I am thinking more like back to 162 - 165 but maintain the lower BF. So I am not far off the mark. My endurance is still awful but improving. Blood is improving and not bad. Neurology is normal.

The problem with comparing diets is that genetics, blood markers, family medical history and past performances, according to my doc, play a key role in setting up an optimum diet. Broadly, he places people in three buckets - those the utilize carbs, those that utilize fat and protein and those that can utilize either.

I am in the dual bucket and can equally use carbs or fat and protein. So my diet is set almost equally of carbs, fat and protein and biased to carbs when riding. More than likely, you are the same but maybe not. And dual metabolisms only make up 2% of the population with most being in the protein / fat group followed by the carb group.

So my diet is set by the protein and since I am an elite athlete, my protein multiplier is 1.1 versus a sedentary person who would use .5. My lean body mass sets the protein level and everything else follows.

On the bike, I do splits, gel/peanut butter together, after 90 minutes. If it is going to be a long ride, I have a special snack before bed and a pre workout cocktail and mini breakfast before the ride. Even though, I metabolize carbs effectively, too many add body fat and too few result in lower performance.

The goal is to be very consistent on the diet and eat the same things all the time and then measure performance, body fat and blood metrics to see how the diet is working. Then modify if required. If you are all over the place on the diet, then this program is a meh. You are either in or out. The diet is not very functional in social / restaurant settings and a family with children would seem impossible. Not that it would not be excellent for all.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-23-24, 04:50 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Broadly, he places people in three buckets - those the utilize carbs, those that utilize fat and protein and those that can utilize either.
Short of outright disease states (diabetes, PKU, liver, pancreas, or intestinal problems (gastric bypass, Crohns) people can thrive under an impressively wide range of macronutrient percentages. I disagree with this 3 bucket theory for generally healthy people.

Glad you are feeling better.
Old 02-23-24, 04:58 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Short of outright disease states (diabetes, PKU, liver, pancreas, or intestinal problems (gastric bypass, Crohns) people can thrive under an impressively wide range of macronutrient percentages. I disagree with this 3 bucket theory for generally healthy people.

Glad you are feeling better.
Why don't you post up your nutritional credentials, years experience in the field, licenses and client base if you have any.
Old 02-23-24, 05:59 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Why don't you post up your nutritional credentials, years experience in the field, licenses and client base if you have any.
That is an illogical appeal to authority.

If you want to debate the topic at hand (the 3 buckets theory) show publications supporting that concept. We can tell what people are metabolizing from their breath, outside of diseases peoples breath are very similar despite consuming different diets. . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respir...exchange_ratio

If you want to show us this Dr 3 buckets credentials please do. Perhaps I can learn from his literature.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 02-23-24 at 06:06 PM.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 02-25-24, 10:14 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

The diet is not very functional in social / restaurant settings and a family with children would seem impossible. Not that it would not be excellent for all.
So you are going to tell us about a diet "[that would be excellent for all]" and then keep it a secret?

Post Dr three buckets references. If you won't you don't have any real faith in his/her system. Why not help build up their client base?

Science is meant to be critiqued.

You probably pay money for it and therefore have a biased opinion due to cognitive dissonance
. If it is garbage, and you pay for it, that means you are stupid for paying for garbage; to protect your ego you won't let others examine it and potentially point out flaws. You can't simultaneously be a smart person and a person who buys crap... show me it is not crap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Last edited by Enthalpic; 02-29-24 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-29-24, 12:07 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
That felt needlessly harsh
Likes For ridethecliche:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.