Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Walmart Bike - GOTRAX

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Walmart Bike - GOTRAX

Old 07-12-22, 10:09 AM
scottatl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Walmart Bike - GOTRAX

I decided to go for a GOTRAX Alpha. If I like the feeling and want an upgrade I bet I could sell this used for $500 and that would be well worth the $150 foray into eBike. It is a hub motor, I would guess off-brand motor and battery. Is there anything about this that will really annoy me?

This seems to be the most bike you can get for $650. I will put a review in after I get it, granted the only eBike i have tried was one of the ones you rent on the street, so I don't have much to compare it to. I am 6"3 and around 235lb. I measured my primary hills yesterday and they are at an incline max of 7%.
  • Motor: 350W high-speed brushless gear motors
  • LED Display: battery level, front light switch, 3-speed levels
  • Brakes: Front-rear disc brake and anti-lock braking system.
  • Transmission System: Shimano professional 7speed.
  • Battery: 36V 7.5Ah li-ion
  • Frame Materials: Aluminum alloy
  • Wheels Size: 29inch
Likes For scottatl:
Old 07-12-22, 11:33 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Max speed, climbing ability, range, etc.. all depends on rider/cargo weight, weather conditions, I wouldn't put much trust in advertised numbers for those.
Cheap bikes have plenty to offer for folks to get out and ride; their performance maybe lacking, but not all are out riding for performance.
As long as you're out riding and enjoying the ride; it's well worth the money, just as any $10k ebike.
Old 07-12-22, 12:25 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Looks like a solid deal. The Chinese seem to have developed motors that are almost universally proficient FME. Hopefully, the battery, while small, will be good since diminutive batteries
(36V X 7.5Ah = 270Wh) are stressed more heavily than larger ones. Try not to exhaust the battery and recharge to at least 20% STAT if it gets low IMO.
Old 07-12-22, 01:01 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I agree with 2old. The 270 watt/hour battery is the single item that might be disappointing to you. Hauling nearly 290 lbs up a 5 - 7% grade with an effective usable power reserve of about 160 watts based on a 75% efficient motor and keeping a minimum of 20% battery life (for longevity) could be problematic. Other then that the bike gets good reviews. Perhaps a 2'nd battery might be best, but they are very expensive. It might be best to go for a better bike with a 500 watt/hour battery right off.

For someone like myself who weighs 140 lbs, rides on flat land, and only want a bit of assistance for wind, or accelerating from a dead stop, That bike might be fine. Hence mostly good reviews. In fact I looked up similar e-bikes here in Canada where they're nearly 2x the price.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-12-22 at 01:04 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 07-12-22, 03:42 PM
scottatl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
well, the good thing about the smaller battery is maybe i won't completely rely on it. I want to get some exercise, i just cant make it up hills like i used to. I guess we will see.
Likes For scottatl:
Old 07-15-22, 10:35 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I don't own a Gotrax, but checked some youtube reviews. I think it's good.

It uses the 810LED display, and I've had two ebikes with the same display, similar motor, and a 36V battery. Three PAS levels, and PAS 1 takes you up to 12 mph, which might be a little fast for riding with friends on regular bikes. If you pedal a little harder, the motor tapers off, and you get pretty good exercise, plus you extend the range, You may want to buy a $10 bike computer to track your speed/range,

Battery looks like an easily replaced reention style case, If you're into exercise, and not throttled ebiking, you night get 25+ miles.