Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-22, 09:51 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I knew that if I followed it long enough, the thread would focus on more fat shaming.
It's about time, amIright?
Likes For big john:
Old 07-29-22, 10:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's about time, amIright?

....it's a good distraction from all the other things I should be ashamed of.
Old 07-29-22, 10:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....it's a good distraction from all the other things I should be ashamed of.
That damned shame is a heavy burden to carry around all your life.
Old 07-29-22, 10:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I think it would be a good idea if the UCI held some time trials on road bikes and I have set up a petition to ask that this be carried out.
ime-trials-on-road-bikes?recruiter=1228368375&recruited_by_id=dfd841e0-23b4-11ec-82dd-b35053c1cda3&utm_source=share_petition&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_medium=copylink&lang =en-GB
So, you're advocating that the pros should ride road bikes in time trials because TT bikes are too dangerous, yet you're insisting that recreational cyclists should ride road bike that are set up to mimic TT bikes? You are truly the king of all trolls.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-29-22, 11:37 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10414 Post(s)
Liked 11,875 Times in 6,082 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, you're advocating that the pros should ride road bikes in time trials because TT bikes are too dangerous, yet you're insisting that recreational cyclists should ride road bike that are set up to mimic TT bikes? You are truly the king of all trolls.
I believe what he wants is for the UCI to do a big experiment for him, to prove what we already know, which is that TT bikes are significantly faster for the same power than road bikes.

But nobody rides a TT bike for 220 km, which is how long the longest road stage of this year's TdF was, whereas the longest TT was 40.7 km, so it makes no sense to set up your road bike like a TT bike unless you only ever ride it less than 50 km.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-29-22, 12:00 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I really think Tim was hoping to add signatures to his petition for UCI to test bikes. So far there is one signature.

John
Old 07-29-22, 12:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I really think Tim was hoping to add signatures to his petition for UCI to test bikes. So far there is one signature.

John
I don't think they test bikes. I think they just ban them.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-29-22, 12:24 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by genejockey
I don't think they test bikes. I think they just ban them.
Hopefully they also ban petitions.

John
Old 07-29-22, 01:07 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The other thing is, Timtak's repeated references to lowering BMI as a way to get low on the bike overlooks something that's even more crucial - flexibility.
I brought it up and he denied its relevance. People it doesn't affect tend to struggle to understand the way it impacts road fits (and why TT/Tri fits are nearly-ubiquitous in using forward saddle positions).
Old 07-29-22, 01:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I brought it up and he denied its relevance. People it doesn't affect tend to struggle to understand the way it impacts road fits (and why TT/Tri fits are nearly-ubiquitous in using forward saddle positions).
Yes. If you look at the pic of my Litespeed, you may note I have a zero setback seatpost, with the saddle clamped in about the middle. I may have even moved it forward since then.

Old 07-29-22, 03:18 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I've been recently trying Mark Cavendish posture out of the saddle because I start to see lower back (core muscle) pain at the 10 minute mark out of the saddle...

It would seem with further training on the posture, I'll finally be able to break my current 15 minute OOS (out of saddle) limit. It was the pain on my lower back limiting me to 15 minutes. I can't tolerate the pain beyond that.
What's your intention for these 15-minute standing drills of yours? That's a long time to be out of the saddle.

On a road ride, there's very little need to stand for more than, say, 30 seconds at a time. For example, to take off from a standing start, to push up a short grade without down shifting, or to give your butt and lower back a rest.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-29-22, 05:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by terrymorse
What's your intention for these 15-minute standing drills of yours? That's a long time to be out of the saddle.

On a road ride, there's very little need to stand for more than, say, 30 seconds at a time. For example, to take off from a standing start, to push up a short grade without down shifting, or to give your butt and lower back a rest.
Unless you're Marco Pantani climbing Alpe d'Huez, in the drops, dancing on the pedals.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-29-22, 06:45 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Flexibility does not seem to be an issue for me, but I accept that it is an issue for some.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I really think Tim was hoping to add signatures to his petition for UCI to test bikes. So far there is one signature. John
Yes. Still only one alas ;-;

I believe what he wants is for the UCI to do a big experiment for him, to prove what we already know, which is that TT bikes are significantly faster for the same power than road bikes.But nobody rides a TT bike for 220 km, which is how long the longest road stage of this year's TdF was, whereas the longest TT was 40.7 km, so it makes no sense to set up your road bike like a TT bike unless you only ever ride it less than 50 km.
Not an experiment exactly. I would like there to be a pro model for the solo amateur rider. I would not have to be any difference in length to current time trials. 44km would be fine. I ride my bike for generally less than 50km and I guess that a lot of other amateur riders do also. Would the pros use lots of saddle to bar drop or go back to old school low, rear offset and forward thrusting legs? Would they ride on the drops, in the hooks, or resting on the tops? In any event, if their were a pro road-bike time trial then it would be a lesson in road bike set up and form for hard riding solo amateurs.

I am not sure why you think that is trolling. Mimicking a TT bike is not as dangerous as riding one. Robbie's bike in a sense mimics a time trial bike but he still has his hands on brifters that are about 40cm apart. I think I could still ride in traffic with some 36cm road bike bars, but the "skis" (the narrower of the two sets of TT bars) are only about 10cm apart, and they do not have brakes.

Chris Froome opined that time trials are too dangerous for pros mainly because it is difficult to find a place to practice or ordinary roads at 6:30 in the following video

If pro time-trials were held on road bikes then their innovations would be a better bargain for solo amateur cyclists wishing to ride fast.

Last edited by timtak; 07-29-22 at 07:20 PM. Reason: time in video
Old 07-29-22, 06:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Can I interest some of you in a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn?
Old 07-29-22, 07:07 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
...I really like that bridge. I think it's beautiful. All that steel.
Old 07-29-22, 07:09 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ll buy your bridge if you buy my crypto.

John
Old 07-29-22, 10:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Not an experiment exactly. I would like there to be a pro model for the solo amateur rider. I would not have to be any difference in length to current time trials. 44km would be fine. I ride my bike for generally less than 50km and I guess that a lot of other amateur riders do also. Would the pros use lots of saddle to bar drop or go back to old school low, rear offset and forward thrusting legs? Would they ride on the drops, in the hooks, or resting on the tops? In any event, if their were a pro road-bike time trial then it would be a lesson in road bike set up and form for hard riding solo amateurs.
If your position is as comfortable as you say and as advantageous as you say, the pros would have adopted it. They haven't.

The design of their bikes and their position on them is already optimized and tested with wind tunnels and power meters. Clearly, if sitting way back and bending like a jackknife, with their hands down around the fork crown - like the old "funny bikes' of the 1980s - were more efficient, they'd be doing that. They WERE doing that, and they stopped, because your position is not, in fact, optimal for a EITHER a TT bike or a road bike. TT bikes do not replicate your position - the saddle is farther forward to open up the hips and allow the rider to apply power to the pedals. The hands and arms are not down around the top of the fork, but rather are up and forward. Indeed, the stack has gotten HIGHER as speeds have gone up.

So, your bike doesn't try to adapt TT bike thinking to a road bike but rather actually takes all the lessons learned in the last 30 years with actual empirical testing and throws them out the window. Again, if there were anything to your arguments, empirical testing would have shown it. It hasn't, so there isn't.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-29-22, 11:10 PM
tomato coupe

If your position is as comfortable as you say and as advantageous as you say, the pros would have adopted it. They haven't.
Reason and rationality have no place in this thread.
Old 07-29-22, 11:53 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Remember the climbing speed vs energy thread I started. It got me convinced to hit climbs faster and looked to improving my FTP.

One thing led to another while trying to improve my FTP and found myself standing more often during the hard intervals. I found it suits me well. I can keep higher HR in the 15 minute hard intervals and burn more calories.

As long as my back and legs didn't hurt.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-30-22, 02:51 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Reason and rationality have no place in this thread.
I am beginning to wonder.

The design of their bikes and their position on them is already optimized and tested with wind tunnels and power meters. Clearly, if sitting way back and bending like a jackknife, with their hands down around the fork crown - like the old "funny bikes' of the 1980s - were more efficient, they'd be doing that. They WERE doing that, and they stopped, because your position is not, in fact, optimal for a EITHER a TT bike or a road bike. TT bikes do not replicate your position - the saddle is farther forward to open up the hips and allow the rider to apply power to the pedals. The hands and arms are not down around the top of the fork, but rather are up and forward. Indeed, the stack has gotten HIGHER as speeds have gone up.

So, your bike doesn't try to adapt TT bike thinking to a road bike but rather actually takes all the lessons learned in the last 30 years with actual empirical testing and throws them out the window. Again, if there were anything to your arguments, empirical testing would have shown it. It hasn't, so there isn't.
You may be right that the current style of bike and pedalling in the pro tours is just plain superior to previous styles of "funny bikes" and bent over like a jackknife riding style, but that depends on the assumption that there is only one effective style of riding a road bike in each era which is applicable in all contexts. I have been trying to persuade you and other members, that the current (by turns, rather upright by comparison) style of riding evolved due to changes in the pro tour to being a more group orientated race, which is neither suitable to pros in the past, nor to solo amateurs, nor to pros riding time trials on road bikes.

Thus, if road bike riding time trials were reintroduced, the pros might go back to their "funny bikes" and jackknife style of riding. There is nothing illogical about this hypothesis and there is no proof that the current style would be superior in such a context, unless you have proof that the current style is context independent, and that the pros, the pros, are always universally right. Perhaps you will mention how much the pros spend again, and their socks?

Incidentally the bunched up like a jackknife style was prevalent even into Armstrong's era not just the 1980's. The famous photo of Armstrong naked on his bike shows him utilising the style.

Lance Armstrong (without socks) by Annie Leibovitz
Old 07-30-22, 04:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I am beginning to wonder.

You may be right that the current style of bike and pedalling in the pro tours is just plain superior to previous styles of "funny bikes" and bent over like a jackknife riding style, but that depends on the assumption that there is only one effective style of riding a road bike in each era which is applicable in all contexts. I have been trying to persuade you and other members, that the current (by turns, rather upright by comparison) style of riding evolved due to changes in the pro tour to being a more group orientated race, which is neither suitable to pros in the past, nor to solo amateurs, nor to pros riding time trials on road bikes.

Thus, if road bike riding time trials were reintroduced, the pros might go back to their "funny bikes" and jackknife style of riding. There is nothing illogical about this hypothesis and there is no proof that the current style would be superior in such a context, unless you have proof that the current style is context independent, and that the pros, the pros, are always universally right. Perhaps you will mention how much the pros spend again, and their socks?

Incidentally the bunched up like a jackknife style was prevalent even into Armstrong's era not just the 1980's. The famous photo of Armstrong naked on his bike shows him utilising the style.

Lance Armstrong (without socks) by Annie Leibovitz

Oh ffs. That's obviously not a good posture for breathing and you're citing a guy who was using epo? You have no business telling people to look at the context of racing practices.

How many times do you have to make a fool of yourself before you cut out the crap? Nobody is buying the crap you're selling.
​​​​​
Old 07-30-22, 08:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The horse, standing ankle deep in the water, dies of dehydration.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-30-22, 09:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Imagine using a posed picture as proof of a rider's position, when there are multiple pictures of that rider in action, as well as numerous pictures of the bikes he rode, none of which have slammed, extra-long, negative rise stems.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-30-22, 10:19 AM
tomato coupe

I had a bike fitting done by Annie Leibovitz several years ago. She's really good, but kind of pricey.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-30-22, 10:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The horse, standing ankle deep in the water, dies of dehydration.
Temba, his arms wide.
Likes For Trakhak:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.