Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 08-01-22, 11:58 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13690 Post(s)
Liked 4,513 Times in 2,498 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Has Benson been paddleboarding? Apparently large fluffy dogs enjoy it.

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/stat...12340428496898
She's been on a paddle boat.
Old 08-01-22, 12:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,965 Times in 4,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Damn. I don't think we have fire ants around here, but they don't sound like a lot of fun.
We do. There are many different types of fire ants. My ex worked in pest control and she said the main types of ants they dealt with were thief, fire, and Argentine ants.
To remember, they said "the thief set fire to Argentina".

Some say ants are going to eventually kill off everything on Earth. Happy Monday.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-01-22, 12:09 PM
big john

Following my buddy down a sweet singletrack on Saturday, he pushed aside a thin branch sticking out into the trail as he went by. I didn't see his evasive move, and the branch swung back just in time to for me to run into it. I'm not sure what it was, but it had long thorns and left two 3 inch long slashes across my forearm that oozed blood for the last half hour of our ride. Good times.
Where?
Old 08-01-22, 12:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,017 Times in 3,792 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Where?
Old Stables Trail off the west side of Sullivan Ridge Rd.
Old 08-01-22, 12:44 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
We do. There are many different types of fire ants. My ex worked in pest control and she said the main types of ants they dealt with were thief, fire, and Argentine ants.
To remember, they said "the thief set fire to Argentina".

Some say ants are going to eventually kill off everything on Earth. Happy Monday.
They'll have to get in line.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-01-22, 12:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
They'll have to get in line.
Marching two by two, hurrah?
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-01-22, 12:57 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

I had used the lower type end initially but now using the upper one.
The "tongue" is just to prevent water entry as far as I know. Not a problem at that location.
Old 08-01-22, 12:58 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Stuck my hands into a bed of fire ants yesterday, and am feeling it today. About 10 bites, mostly around the webbing of my fingers.
Was it on your property, because if it was you have to exact revenge to make sure they recognize who they’re dealing with.
Old 08-01-22, 01:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10393 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Was it on your property, because if it was you have to exact revenge to make sure they recognize who they’re dealing with.
Pour gasoline down the hole and light it. What's the worst that could happen?

I hear the underground fire in Centralia PA is still burning, BTW. 60 years, all from a fire in a landfill.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-22, 01:15 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
The ones that bit me ended up drowning.

It was on my property. The remainder will be nuked with Triazathon.
Old 08-01-22, 01:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey

I hear the underground fire in Centralia PA is still burning, BTW. 60 years, all from a fire in a landfill.

In the past, I had been known to do that. The location will remain undisclosed.
Old 08-01-22, 01:28 PM
big john

Old Stables Trail off the west side of Sullivan Ridge Rd.
Don't know that one.
Old 08-01-22, 01:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,017 Times in 3,792 Posts
Don't know that one.
Here's our ride...https://www.strava.com/activities/7555071572 It's at the lower end of Sullivan.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-01-22 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-01-22, 01:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,468 Times in 7,309 Posts

It started in trash, but it spread to coal seams. I rode through what was left of the town in 2014 while touring across PA. The USPS had long ago cancelled the town's zip code. There were only a few residents and houses left. They were occupied by people fighting the state's offers to buy them out. The last residents finally settled several years ago and left.

One neat byproduct of the mess was that the state had to reroute nearly a mile of PA 61. The abandoned stretch became covered with graffiti and came to be known as "Graffiti Highway." Some of the graffiti was pretty funny. It became a popular tourist attraction and was still walkable and rideable (with some care) when I passed through. I have a few photos at home. Wish I had taken more because a couple of years ago the owner of the land covered it over with earth:

The End of Centralia's Abandoned, Colorful, Anarchic 'Graffiti Highway' - Atlas Obscura

If you ever come back this way on I-76 the abandoned stretch of the PA Turnpike is worth a ride. I've ridden it twice. Last time was in 2020 while crossing the state. You can pick it up in Breezewood. The rideable stretch, which is about 8 ,miles long, is now an official, unofficial bike trail. I've ridden it twice heading east. Like Graffiti Highway was, it's covered in graffiti. Part of it actually has nice pavement because it was used for training snow plow operators and such before it was donated to some organization for trail use. There are two long tunnels towards the eastern end. One is around a mile. Neither are lit. The abandoned road was a filming location for he post-apocalyptic film "The Road" staring Viggo Mortensen.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-01-22 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-01-22, 01:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Marching two by two, hurrah?
I did intend a double meaning, yes.
Old 08-01-22, 01:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by indyfabz
It started in trash, but it spread to coal seams. I rode through what was left of the town in 2014 while touring across PA. The USPS had long ago cancelled the town's zip code. There were only a few residents and houses left. They were occupied by people fighting the state's offers to buy them out. The last residents finally settled several years ago and left.

One neat byproduct of the mess was that the state had to reroute nearly a mile of PA 61. The abandoned stretch became covered with graffiti and came to be known as "Graffiti Highway." Some of the graffiti was pretty funny. It became a popular tourist attraction and was still walkable and rideable (with some care) when I passed through. I have a few photos at home. Wish I had taken more because a couple of years ago the owner of the land covered it over with earth:

The End of Centralia's Abandoned, Colorful, Anarchic 'Graffiti Highway' - Atlas Obscura
I remember hearing about the Centralia Fire decades ago, so it is kind of amazing that it's still going. I'd have thought it would have exhausted all the oxygen, and the CO2 would have built up from the lowest level and smothered it, but it must be sucking air in from somewhere.

BTW, thinking about all the coal mines is giving my claustrophobia a workout. Just the idea of working with a mile of rock over your head while you chip away at what's keeping it up.........

Old 08-01-22, 01:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I did intend a double meaning, yes.
Double entendre time?
Old 08-01-22, 01:50 PM
big john

Here's our ride...https://www.strava.com/activities/7555071572 It's at the lower end of Sullivan.
Cool! You guys both ride XC hardtails. I thought about one before I bought the thing I have in 2018 but I was afraid it wouldn't like the rough rocky stuff. With the stuff I do these days an XC bike would be fine.
Old 08-01-22, 01:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Ah, yes! The abandoned Turnpike sections! Because Dad's family was in Pittsburgh, we'd drive there a couple times a year. I remember sitting in The Way Back of whatever Ford station wagon we had at the time, with my sister, counting off seconds through the tunnels. Then I remember driving it some years later, heading to college up in the upper lefthand corner of PA and thinking, "Didn't there used to be 5 tunnels?" But the thought never lasted long enough to ask anyone. Then about 10 years or so, somebody posted something on FB about riding on the Abandoned Turnpike, so I looked it up and had one of those "I WAS RIGHT!!!" moments.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube, some folks not only going through the tunnels but going through the buildings at each end, the ventilation tunnel above the tunnel proper, and checking out the remnants of the giant fans that used to suck out what must have been pretty damned poisonous air, given what cars USED TO spew back before 1970.

Old 08-01-22, 01:52 PM
indyfabz

I remember hearing about the Centralia Fire decades ago, so it is kind of amazing that it's still going. I'd have thought it would have exhausted all the oxygen, and the CO2 would have built up from the lowest level and smothered it, but it must be sucking air in from somewhere.

BTW, thinking about all the coal mines is giving my claustrophobia a workout. Just the idea of working with a mile of rock over your head while you chip away at what's keeping it up.........
Yeah. And anthracite coal is harder to put out once it gets going.

We provide rail service to a salt mine in the Detroit area. Big customer. A couple of people I work with have toured the mine. You have to go deep down in a small elevator. When you get down there there are open areas with pillars left behind for support. I have made it clear that I have no desire to take a tour because I don't want to have some folk song written about me when the roof collapses.
Old 08-01-22, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Ah, yes! The abandoned Turnpike sections! Because Dad's family was in Pittsburgh, we'd drive there a couple times a year. I remember sitting in The Way Back of whatever Ford station wagon we had at the time, with my sister, counting off seconds through the tunnels. Then I remember driving it some years later, heading to college up in the upper lefthand corner of PA and thinking, "Didn't there used to be 5 tunnels?" But the thought never lasted long enough to ask anyone. Then about 10 years or so, somebody posted something on FB about riding on the Abandoned Turnpike, so I looked it up and had one of those "I WAS RIGHT!!!" moments.
They started having drainage/leakage problems not long after the road opened. Also, they were only one lane in each direction. The PA Turnpike was far more popular than the state anticipated. Forcing traffic to squeeze down into ne lane in each direction often caused slowdowns. The abandoned stretch is longer than what is rideable. Beyond the eastern end of the trail at Pump Station Road is private property and fenced off.
Old 08-01-22, 01:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah. And anthracite coal is harder to put out once it gets going.

We provide rail service to a salt mine in the Detroit area. Big customer. A couple of people I work with have toured the mine. You have to go deep down in a small elevator. When you get down there there are open areas with pillars left behind for support. I have made it clear that I have no desire to take a tour because I don't want to have some folk song written about me when the roof collapses.
One of my favorite songs when I was a wee lad was Peter, Paul, and Mary's version of "The Ballad of Spring Hill".

Old 08-01-22, 02:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
In the past, I had been known to do that. The location will remain undisclosed.
I've mentioned this before, but I took a rather more conservative approach with an ant hole in my basement - boiling water, about 10 quarts of it, poured in to a funnel.

It actually didn't kill all of the ants, but it killed a lot of 'em. How do I know this? Because the survivors removed all of the dead and deposited them on to my basement floor - circular dispersion pattern centered on the hole, with much higher density in the middle; instead of mounding up the bodies, they carried them further and further out. The field of dead was prolly about a 4' radius. Easily thousands of 'em (they were on the smaller side of the ant spectrum).

The survivors weren't seen after their pallbearer services, thankfully.
Old 08-01-22, 02:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

They started having drainage/leakage problems not long after the road opened. Also, they were only one lane in each direction. The PA Turnpike was far more popular than the state anticipated. Forcing traffic to squeeze down into ne lane in each direction often caused slowdowns. The abandoned stretch is longer than what is rideable. Beyond the eastern end of the trail at Pump Station Road is private property and fenced off.
Part of me wants to ride it, because of the nostalgia and curiosity and part of me rebels at the idea of riding through an unlit tunnel over a mile long.

Old 08-01-22, 02:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've mentioned this before, but I took a rather more conservative approach with an ant hole in my basement - boiling water, about 10 quarts of it, poured in to a funnel.

It actually didn't kill all of the ants, but it killed a lot of 'em. How do I know this? Because the survivors removed all of the dead and deposited them on to my basement floor - circular dispersion pattern centered on the hole, with much higher density in the middle; instead of mounding up the bodies, they carried them further and further out. The field of dead was prolly about a 4' radius. Easily thousands of 'em (they were on the smaller side of the ant spectrum).

The survivors weren't seen after their pallbearer services, thankfully.
That is nuts!

I've never used gasoline in the vicinity of any buildings. When we did it it was in open fields we were preparing for events.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.