Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat post clamp filler fell out, should I be concerned?!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 11:56 PM
UnD3R0aTh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hello,

I found this in a new bike that I purchased, a tiny groove in the seat post clamp, it looks like the clamp is constructed with two sheets of metal and then towards the clamp, there looks to be some sort of filler, on one side, it looks like it had fallen out, should I be concerned?! How to fix it?! Any idea what filler this is?! I'm assuming it's this way from factory!

Old 08-05-22, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
A new bike? Or new to you but well used?

Looks like a corner of the seat tube broke off at the top of the slot. There are at least two pieces if not more at the top of that seat tube that are likely brazed together.

The slot is simply there to allow the bolt and clamp band to squeeze down on the seat tube when the bolt is tightened. Quite a common way to do that. Newer more expensive bikes sometimes use different solutions.

I don't think it'll be an issue for you if the seat post properly fits. I don't see a need to do anything other than just make sure it's not steadily getting worse over time.

If this is truly a new bike, I might investigate what the seller and manufacturer might say about it. Maybe warranty issue, maybe not.
Old 08-05-22, 08:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
This "new bike" sure looks to be a 1980s Asian made one by the tube decal and the rear brake routing. I would guess a Nishiki if I had to.

Iride1 has it right, IMO. Have you tried to fit a seat post yet? If so how does the best sized post work? Will the binder clamp the post well? If so than dab on some touch up paint and go for a ride. Andy
Old 08-05-22, 09:16 AM
UnD3R0aTh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
it's a sekine rm-10 1981, I just got it, this is what I mean by new! thank you, I guess I won't have to refill it? what type of filler do u think this is?!
Old 08-05-22, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I don't think there is any filler. Other than what was used to braze the clamp/lug onto the top of the seat tube and end of the top tube. The chip on the top right corner of the slot is where a tiny part of the seat tube is missing.

If you are talking about the circular line around the top, then that's probably just where the brazing didn't fill up all the space between the seat tube and the lug. Quite common on bikes that aren't bound for museum showpieces. They likely just let primer and paint flow into the crack hoping you wouldn't be faulting them 40 years later for it.

If you aren't going to put a seat post in there, then just do what ever you want to make it look pretty. However if you are going to put a seat post in there so you can ride the bike and have something to sit on, then don't worry about it.

It really shouldn't be any issues as long as your seat post isn't undersized. Which on a 40 year old bike that might not be all original is a possibility.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-05-22 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-05-22, 09:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Originally Posted by UnD3R0aTh
it's a sekine rm-10 1981, I just got it, this is what I mean by new! thank you, I guess I won't have to refill it? what type of filler do u think this is?!
Pretty much all the Asian brazed frames (production/factory) use a brass/bronze filler. I don't think any action is needed as long as my "how does the seat post fit and stay secured" question has a positive answer. Andy
Old 08-05-22, 09:34 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
I would just fill it with some JB Weld or similar to keep moisture from collecting in the hole and rusting out the clamp.
Old 08-05-22, 09:36 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Looks like that clamp has had some issues before. The damage most likely caused long before you got it. And hey man, its a new bike no matter how old it is. If the seat post is a propper fit I would just file/sand it down a little and continue its use...