Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-bike Rental Service

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

E-bike Rental Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 08:53 AM
TrueWheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-bike Rental Service Insurance Policy

Hello, my brother and I are starting an e-bike rental service in rural MA, and we are currently looking for information on the best way to go about finding the right insurance policy. Currently we only have 6 e-bikes that would technically be loaned out privately. We initially received one insurance quote that blew our minds considering it was over 10k per year. Is this number totally outrageous? Should we be looking into any specific agencies that accommodate for this asset sharing business model?

Looking forward to hearing different thoughts.
Old 08-01-22, 10:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
That probably isn't far out from the actual number. It is a lot to do rentals and insurance isn't cheap.
Old 08-04-22, 09:21 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
What you are quoted on is a general liability policy and usually they have a $2 million dollars of coverage. $10,000 though is very high and usually a sign that the company is not in that part of the market. Check with your local bike shop and see who provides them with insurance as they have the same potential liability issus with bikes they sell to their customers.

Important to set up a limited liability corporation so that your own assets (house, car, etc.) are protected if there is a lawsuit for any reason. With accidents the attorneys look for as many people to blame and in particular who has deep pockets. Two teenager in San Jose CA bought beer at a liquor store and then later in the day bought more at a 7-Eleven store and the driver drove off the road and into a wall and killed his friend. The lawers sued the liquor store owner and sued 7-Eleven and sued the used car dealer that sold the car to the teen and sued the parents of the teen who was driving and they sued the city of San Jose as it was a wall built by the city. The reason to have insurance is so the insurance company's lawyers to the work on the company's dime.
Old 08-07-22, 01:08 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Yep, rental insurance can be crazy. Keep calling.Keep looking. you will find one. I do have a bike rental company that sends me emails, but I cant find their messages at the moment. If I find it I will post here.

-SP
Old 08-08-22, 09:03 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
And today I have an email from that company-

https://www.rentle.io/

I hope they have some usable info for you. I havent looked at it much since I am not actively renting product.

-SP
Old 08-08-22, 01:43 PM
klevin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TrueWheels
Hello, my brother and I are starting an e-bike rental service in rural MA, and we are currently looking for information on the best way to go about finding the right insurance policy. Currently we only have 6 e-bikes that would technically be loaned out privately. We initially received one insurance quote that blew our minds considering it was over 10k per year. Is this number totally outrageous? Should we be looking into any specific agencies that accommodate for this asset sharing business model?

Looking forward to hearing different thoughts.
Where in rural MA? I'm just north of you in SW NH.