Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Goldix hub

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 10:24 AM
FatInBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goldix hub

What do you think (and eventually experienced) of such Goldix hub, that boast a 36T Ratchet System?
It is in contest with an ARC hub, kind opinions are much appreciated.

Last edited by FatInBike; 08-06-22 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-06-22, 07:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Never heard of either of those brands but looking at where they are sold could not recommend either. Formula and Novatec make fine budget hubs and if I want nicer stuff, White Industries, Industry Nine, Phil Wood, Shimano, DT Swiss, Hope, Oynx, Chris King, Suzue... I wouldn't recommend no-name stuff from Alibaba and his forty thieves.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-07-22, 11:26 AM
FatInBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
... Novatec make fine budget hubs ..... I wouldn't recommend no-name stuff from Alibaba and his forty thieves..
Even Novatec has been a so called "no-name" hub for long. They sold (and sell yet) through your hated Alibaba all over the world, in your as well as in my country (Italy). To overcome the "western" prices, I started assemblying my wheels with Far Eastern rims (Farsport, 7-Tiger) and hubs (Novatec, Bitex and Powerway hubs). Great products, as good as the brands you named, but they are getting market, so it is time to explore new brands to recover money. At the moment ARC and Goldix seems to be the emerging brands, however they clearly still swim in deep water.
In any way, they are not new actors in this world, they already produce for several international brands.
Old 08-07-22, 08:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by FatInBike
Even Novatec has been a so called "no-name" hub for long. They sold (and sell yet) through your hated Alibaba all over the world, in your as well as in my country (Italy). To overcome the "western" prices, I started assemblying my wheels with Far Eastern rims (Farsport, 7-Tiger) and hubs (Novatec, Bitex and Powerway hubs). Great products, as good as the brands you named, but they are getting market, so it is time to explore new brands to recover money. At the moment ARC and Goldix seems to be the emerging brands, however they clearly still swim in deep water.
In any way, they are not new actors in this world, they already produce for several international brands.
Novatec has been around for a while and I have long seen their products on some lower end but decent stuff and even on some nicer stuff. Some people do sell on Alibaba that are legit products of decent quality it is not all knockoffs but a lot of bike stuff is knockoffs. Who is ARC and Goldix making stuff for? I have yet to see those no-names from anyone.

Let's not say that Novatec and Bitex and that other one I haven't heard are anywhere close to White or Phil or Chris King or Industry Nine. No need to elevate their stuff to ridiculous levels it is fine reasonable budget stuff but not the same.
Old 08-07-22, 08:33 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
I've been using another generic Chinese hub, a Koozer, without any problems for years.