Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sign of too little food on the ride?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Sign of too little food on the ride?

Old 04-23-22, 05:32 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
The voice of reason. But I won't be able to eat the whole bottle of oatmeal in one sitting. That means multiple stops.

I found a sports bottle with thick straw in aliexpress. Should allow me to eat oatmeal while riding but not sure if the 600 or 1000 ml will fit the bottle cage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch
Don't eat oatmeal while exercising. Eat it beforehand and let it digest.

It tends to be slow-releasing energy and has fibre so also digests slower. Not really something you want in your stomach when exercising. If you like oats that much, instead of water drink oat milk (with almond, I personally love that) and mix in tasteless maltodextrin for fast-absorbing carbs.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 04-23-22, 05:46 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Whatever floats your boat, but oatmeal through a straw seems like an inopportune choice for fueling during a ride, whether you are stopping or not. It's better to choose items that are easy to eat and swallow, and there are plenty of options around that are rather easily eaten whilst riding.

Also, as has been mentioned in other related threads, once you begin taking in nutrition during a ride, it's better to eat a little bit at relatively short intervals - every 15 minutes or every 30 minutes, depending on the ride intensity. There's nothing wrong with stopping to eat occasionally, but a solution that allows small portions repeatedly while underway has multiple advantages.
A thick straw would allow me to eat oatmeal without stopping and I definitely won't consume more than half a cup per eating interval. Once I worked out immediately after eating 1 cup oatmeal, I didn't feel good afterwards.
Old 04-23-22, 06:05 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Anyway, I went for a 40 minute ride today. Not much, but temperatures are soaring above 100F on the road with over 60% humidity.

I did a little experiment. I did not bring any bottle of drink nor food but instead, I took my tube bandana, put 8 pieces of ice cubes in it and rolled it into a donut and then wore the rolled bandanna with ice cubes in it on my neck. Basically, I turned my tube bandanna into a neck ice pack. Additionally, I wet my shirt before going heading out.

The results are actually pretty good. I did not feel the 100F heat at all during the ride. I actually felt cool and comfortable with my whole body the entire 40 minutes! The ice cubes fully melted in 40 minutes. However, the melting ice also provided controlled supply of water to keep my shirt wet so I don't have to pour water on myself. It's diabolically effective. I did not feel exhausted nor fatigued afterwards and it seems to be the best result I got so far.

It really seems to be a good idea for longer trips in 100F to bring insulated bag or container with bandannas inside containing ice cubes or make quick stops at gas stations to re-fill neck bandannas with ice tubes. You have to keep the ice cubes or ice tubes behind your neck though. They don't have problems staying at the back of the neck but if they end up on front of your neck, the bandanna would start dripping water on the bike and into the chain.