Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Another saddle question.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Another saddle question.

Old 05-24-22, 05:06 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Another saddle question.

Just about to dump my second and final Brooks.

The bike I rode for the longest period was a mountain bike and I used and replaced with the same saddle that came with it. It was wide and padded and pretty cheap. I was also comfortable and long lasting. Finally the other day I saw a discussion about

Selle Royal saddles. It seems they are popular with European bike tourers. So I checked out the company and they have a bewildering number of models. I checked the one linked below and it looks about the right shape for me. Does anyone know anything about this model or another by the same company?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QNDGJQ...ehikesafari-20
Old 05-26-22, 08:01 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
When my old Brooks tore at the rivets on a tour I purchased a saddle much like the one in your link, one with the center cutout. I was unimpressed. It just did not feel comfy to me and I wound up not using it for long. I'll have to check the brand and model for reference.
Old 05-26-22, 10:34 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
I cannot remember if I purchased a Selle Royal or Selle Italia, but it had gel and was very cushy. Turned out to be the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever owned
Old 05-27-22, 06:07 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I am wondering if there are one or two saddles (not Brooks) that many people would agree make a good touring saddle. Selle Royal does seem to get high ratings on Amazon, though a UK touring board also is mostly negative.
Old 05-27-22, 06:17 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
I am wondering if there are one or two saddles (not Brooks) that many people would agree make a good touring saddle. Selle Royal does seem to get high ratings on Amazon, though a UK touring board also is mostly negative.
I'd say no. It is a very individual choice. Brooks has an almost cult like (retro grouch?) following, but even they are not a huge chunk of the overall touring community IMO (despite looking like it here at times). I have a favorite (WTB Volt) but am not delusional enough to think it is widely accepted as the choice of an especially large portion of the touring community.

How upright you sit will affect the choice. Personally I find the same saddle I'd use on a race bike is comfortable on a touring bike. I find the same saddle comfortable on MTB, road bike, and touring, but my posture is nearly the same on all three.. Someone who sits much more upright on their touring bike may not.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-27-22 at 06:23 AM.