Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 09:58 AM
poetman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Bike Storage

I live in a place without any outside storage and without the means to bring my family's bicycles (3) in doors. What are some cheap (under$75) options for storing our bikes outside? I was thinking of getting a large piece of plywood and placing a tarp underneath to make a rough tent to protect them from the elements. Any thoughts?
Old 05-31-22, 10:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Not sure how a single piece of plywood plus a tarp will help. You need something to keep one of those two things upright(really not sure which is the one you describe as upright).

Can you affix something to the side of a building or fence? If so, that gets you started since its a vertical wall. The cheapest way while still being useful/reliable would be to get some plywood for both sides, affix that to the building wall, then lay a tarp over for the top and front of the 'shed'. You would need tie down points to keep the tarp secure.
Less than $75 doesnt get you much in terms of purpose built storage.
Old 05-31-22, 10:09 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Storing bicycles out side is easy if you have the room. Try to figure out a way to suspend the bikes off the ground. You can do that with a 2x4 and large hooks. That will be real be a plus. You can then get a large Poly Tarp, take some twine and run it through all the grommets, then throw it over the bikes and cinch down. Hopefully you do not live near salt water. If you do its gonna take allot more planning.
Old 05-31-22, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Buy a tent for the other family members. Bikes belong inside when not being ridden!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-31-22, 08:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I would never store bikes outside unless I lived in a very dry area with zero rain and reasonable temperatures and a way to protect against sun damage. Leaving them outside is bad in so many ways from easier theft to damage to components from humidity and elements to really hot or cold temps and just general neglect. If I absolutely was forced to store a bike outside and I truly had zero options for some odd reason then I would be basically cleaning and lubricating the bike probably at least once a week and probably doing a complete overhaul yearly or maybe more often and replacing a lot of rubber and plastic components.

If I could I would at least get a shed to store the bikes in and lock it up well and lock the bikes in the shed to a ground anchor or something and figure out a way to dehumidify the space and make sure I am still doing regular maintenance to the bikes. For $75 I would use that money for groceries or a nice bottle or two of whisky and store my bikes indoors where they belong. I could get various different hooks, freestanding racks, floor to ceiling racks, rear wheel stands, kickstands...so I don't even need to keep them outside. Plus plywood is expensive these days and one piece with a tarp is well I don't know what it is but it won't be anything useful for much aside from keeping the top of the plywood dry for the elements coming down I guess or if it is large enough you could wrap the whole sheet of plywood in it I guess?
Old 06-02-22, 03:40 PM
poetman

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for these replies! How were bikes stored in the 50 and 60s? Did people always have garages and sheds? Surely the various equipment to mount and suspend bikes had not yet been invented.
Old 06-03-22, 10:57 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I grew up in the 1950's and 60's. We had a garage and a shed
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-03-22, 11:39 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Could you fit them on a wall on a rack like this?

These are fairly inexpensive. https://www.etsy.com/listing/2347577...on0=1105473376

Old 06-03-22, 12:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Surely the various equipment to mount and suspend bikes had not yet been invented.
You are smiling big when you said that weren't you? Remember we had A- bombs before the 50's and airplanes long before then. So we weren't totally sharing a dwelling with our livestock and rubbing flints together to make a fire.
Old 06-03-22, 10:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by poetman
Thank you for these replies! How were bikes stored in the 50 and 60s? Did people always have garages and sheds? Surely the various equipment to mount and suspend bikes had not yet been invented.
Huh? Hooks have been around a while, They had bikes on cars for the various races back in the day. I cannot imagine that bikes were not being stored some how soon after invention.
Old 06-04-22, 05:05 AM
poetman

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Huh? Hooks have been around a while, They had bikes on cars for the various races back in the day. I cannot imagine that bikes were not being stored some how soon after invention.

I was referring to the various contraptions that allow you to mount bicycles from ceilings in homes
Old 06-05-22, 07:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I was referring to the various contraptions that allow you to mount bicycles from ceilings in homes
Ahhh those have probably been around for a good long time but maybe not as long. I have never really done the ceiling mounts as I don't love things hanging above my head but had seen them at least in the 90s.
Old 06-05-22, 10:27 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
If you must leave the bikes outside and have a limited budget, I suggest bike covers
https://www.amazon.com/Puroma-Outdoo...reation&sr=1-5
Old 06-06-22, 01:35 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
The solution will depend on some unknowns, like how valuable the bikes are, and, as mentioned, what elements you're concerned about. The foggy salt water air near a coast presents different problems than the desert sun or heavy drifting snow.
Old 06-06-22, 08:59 PM
poetman

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
If you must leave the bikes outside and have a limited budget, I suggest bike covers
https://www.amazon.com/Puroma-Outdoo...reation&sr=1-5
Is this any different than a tarp? I have a heavy-duty one covering the bikes now, and it's kept them dry through the rain.
Old 06-06-22, 10:26 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Is this any different than a tarp? I have a heavy-duty one covering the bikes now, and it's kept them dry through the rain.
Other than aesthetics, not much
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-07-22, 06:36 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I wheel mine right in the front door and lean it against the wall by the coat closet.
Old 06-07-22, 09:22 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
In the 60s, early 70s we just leaned our bikes against a tree. Uncovered. By the mid 70s bike theft became a problem. So we locked them to the tree.

In the 80s living in an apartment the bike came in with me. Mostly been keeping them inside since.

There's two problems; Protection from the elements. Security.

If you can't keep them inside and don't have a shed or other storage option then a tarp may be your best option. As to security, what are they locked to? Not my problem but you should think about it.