Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Consumables?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
If the term is to have any usefulness, it needs to be connected to a relatively short replacement cycle necessitated by the wear of the part--I think a consumable is a part of the machine we can expect to wear out several times during the machine's useful life. Any part of the bike can be replaced, but there are only certain ones that people expect to replace several times due tio wear during the normal usage of the bike. I wouldn't include hubs, cranks, brakes, handlebars, derailleurs, shifters/brifters, seat posts, stems, or wheels in that category. Chains, tires, tubes, cassettes, brake pads, cables and maybe chain rings would be the consumables. An argument could be made that saddles and pedals are sort of category straddlers, but I don't think they are really consumables, I just think it's incredibly common to replace them once, not usually for wear.

ClydeClydeson beat me to the listing process and his list of consumables is better than mine. I do think my list of non-consumables is pretty good, and I think it includes several moving parts we don't expect to wear out.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-28-22 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-28-22, 02:57 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Funny you mention "consumable" bike parts. In about 20 years I've cycled I had a road bike, a mountian bike, and my current comfort bike. While hardly a cycling enthousiast, I've put a several thousand km on all of them. The only things Ive replaced was one seat, because one of them was uncomfortable, one tube, and the rear derailleur because clumsy me stepped on it once when I dropped the bike. Never tires, brake pads or chains.

Untill I joined BF I didn't even know chains wore out. Yesterday I noticed a fellow picking something up in the middle of the road. Sure enough it was his chain. Theres about 4,000 km on my chain now, and it doesn't look like it has stretched much. I will certianly pay more attention to cleaning and lubricating it after seeing one snap.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-28-22 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-28-22, 03:18 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I didn't hear of this term back in the day so now I'm going to feign ignorance is as lame as Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/TicToc is communism.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-28-22, 05:16 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I didn't hear of this term back in the day so now I'm going to feign ignorance is as lame as Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/TicToc is communism.
Better than feigning intelligence, I guess.
Old 07-28-22, 07:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Funny you mention "consumable" bike parts. In about 20 years I've cycled I had a road bike, a mountian bike, and my current comfort bike. While hardly a cycling enthousiast, I've put a several thousand km on all of them. The only things Ive replaced was one seat, because one of them was uncomfortable, one tube, and the rear derailleur because clumsy me stepped on it once when I dropped the bike. Never tires, brake pads or chains.

Untill I joined BF I didn't even know chains wore out. Yesterday I noticed a fellow picking something up in the middle of the road. Sure enough it was his chain. Theres about 4,000 km on my chain now, and it doesn't look like it has stretched much. I will certianly pay more attention to cleaning and lubricating it after seeing one snap.

It's not snapping that happens first, it's skipping and slipping. It's more like random shifting and/or suddenly feeling like your pedals skipped a few cogs. Lots of grindy noises. It's a bit hard to explain, but it wouldn't surprise me if you actually have some of the effects, but kind of think that stuff is normal.

If you've already gone 4000 km on this chain, you should probably also change the cassette when you do change it.
​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-28-22, 07:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by smd4
Better than feigning intelligence, I guess.

I don't think you were feigning or displaying ignorance. We're old enough that we remember when this term wasn't used to describe any bike hardware so I think the linguistic shift is a pretty interesting topic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-28-22, 07:23 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think you were feigning or displaying ignorance. We're old enough that we remember when this term wasn't used to describe any bike hardware so I think the linguistic shift is a pretty interesting topic.
Definitely. Thanks.
Old 07-28-22, 07:26 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
headsets wear out
Do they? I always think it’s funny when people say, “You should buy a Chris King headset, because it’s the last headset you’ll ever buy.” Honestly, every headset can be the last one you’ll ever buy if you keep it adjusted. I’ve had Cane Creek and Ritchey units that have outlasted the frames they were installed on.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-28-22, 07:29 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Rolla
Do they? I always think it’s funny when people say, “You should buy a Chris King headset, because it’s the last headset you’ll ever buy.” Honestly, every headset can be the last one you’ll ever buy if you keep it adjusted. I’ve had Cane Creek and Ritchey headsets that have outlasted the frames they were installed on.
I’ve personally never worn out a headset, but I did work on ones that were indexed precisely for “straight ahead.”
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-28-22, 07:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Do they? I always think it’s funny when people say, “You should buy a Chris King headset, because it’s the last headset you’ll ever buy.” Honestly, every headset can be the last one you’ll ever buy if you keep it adjusted. I’ve had Cane Creek and Ritchey units that have outlasted the frames they were installed on.
In my racing days of 5k New England miles per year on a steep head tubed criterium bike, headsets went one year. Still ridable at that point but "brineling" past no-handing wasn't far away so each March a new one went in. (Yes, just Tanges, but a NR would only go a few months longer and die mid-season.)

Headsets have gotten a lot better. Stronglight's roller HS on my Mooney is as good as it was in the '90s when I put it on. The Chris King on another bike has 20k and is going strong. But I still ride Tanges on three bikes and just replace them as needed, every 8-10k.
Old 07-28-22, 07:57 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
livedarklions and ClydeClydeson have it right, 'consumables' is just a fancy way to say "wear items"; the stuff that typically gets replaced due to wear or age. Things like tires and grips/bar tape and even chains have always been there; cables too, especially on bikes that have seen many seasons; although modern STI cable routing and the the more demanding nature of 10/11+ -sp drivetrains require 'fresh' cables more often

Bike forums also has a high concentration of high-mileage all-conditions users, and spreadsheet-and-logbook 'maintenace obsessives' (who also probably ride a lot more than me) who replace components like BBs, cassettes and wheel rims far more often than a typical cyclist.
It's just that there's more of them here, so you hear about it a lot more.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by genejockey
But also, aluminum bars, like aluminum frames, have finite fatigue strength (I think that's the term) and may eventually fail, and the lighter they're built, the more likely that is.
The lighter you build anything, the more likely it is to break, that's the trade-off.
Aluminum bars have been common on light weight bicycles since the 1970s, I think the real reason you're seeing more broken handlebars now is that trainers are more common/popular than, say 15 years ago, and they're a lot harder on the bike than being on the road, and add the sweat/corrosion issues in on top of that.
So far, since I learned to ride a bike in the early 1980s, I've had two handlebars fail, one was a crash on an ultralight 140g Scott bar; but the one that failed JRA, was steel (it bent during a fast slalom -turn)
Old 07-28-22, 08:43 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I had never heard of rims being regarded as consumable until reading this forum, but I'll believe it.
Aluminum rims definitely have a finite life. Eventually, cracks form at the spoke holes, then the spoke nipple pulls through, which makes it impossible to true the rim.

Carbon rims? If not bashed or crushed, and free of defects, they potentially can live a very long time.

Old 07-28-22, 09:16 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I’ve personally never worn out a headset, but I did work on ones that were indexed precisely for “straight ahead.”
Same here, but only standard 1” threaded ones.
Old 07-28-22, 09:34 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Still trying to consume the frame on my 71 Schwinn.
Tim
Old 07-28-22, 09:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
try A1 with a little horseradish sauce.
Old 07-28-22, 10:41 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
To be honest, most people aren’t going to ride a bike far enough to wear out a chain. The vast majority of bicycles are Big Box Store bikes and don’t see more than a few hundred miles before they are put out of the way…some more than others.

The limb had 10 to15 rings.

Enthusiasts are going to go through a whole lot more wear items…aka “consumables”…than casual riders
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-28-22, 10:48 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

How much did you mountain bike during the 80s into the early 90s? I’ve replaced dozens of them. Keeping a threaded headset “properly adjusted” was difficult to impossible due to the pounding that they took. They could be ruined in a single ride. We rode with cheap headsets because there was no sense spending money on a headset that was likely to get quickly ruined. There was even a rather large cottage industry of locking locknuts for headsets that had varying success. Chris King’s Grip Nut was actually a little bit better than other headsets at staying adjusted. Threadless solved all those problems.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-28-22, 11:05 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
I’ve managed to consume 4 frames. Two steel and two aluminum. And before anyone goes thinking that the steel was “better”, one of the steel frames had about 6000 miles before I got rid of it but it had broken the (steel) fork within a year of purchase and cracked the frame at the chainstay bridge within 3 years of purchase (repaired), broke a dropout within 4 years of purchase, and then cracked the chainstays again by year 5, when it was tossed. None of this was covered by warranty even though the sales rep suggested replacing the fork because they “were all breaking”. The other steel frame lasted just a little over 3 years (3800 miles)and broke at the dropout.

Of the two aluminum bikes, one was a Specialized M2 that cracked at the chainstay bridge after about 6600 miles after 5 years (replaced under warranty). The other aluminum frame broke due to a hyper setback seatpost because the frame was the wrong size. It was repaired and given to someone after 8 years (only about 1500 miles).

Old 07-29-22, 04:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cyccommute
To be honest, most people aren’t going to ride a bike far enough to wear out a chain. The vast majority of bicycles are Big Box Store bikes and don’t see more than a few hundred miles before they are put out of the way…some more than others.

The limb had 10 to15 rings.

Enthusiasts are going to go through a whole lot more wear items…aka “consumables”…than casual riders

I'm pretty sure I've never heard a casual rider refer to bicycle "consumables.". I have known some who stop riding because they don't want to get a flat fixed.
Old 07-29-22, 06:26 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I call something consumable if I normally wear out one or two in a season, and I keep it in stock. I have several tubes and patch kits, two tires, handlebar tape, brake pads, two chains, one cassette, one shifter cable. Pretty much a year's supply. I've been doing that since the 80s. I'm don't remember if I used that word back then, but it sure was a concept.
Old 07-29-22, 06:54 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The term dates from long before bicycles. From Merriam-Webster:

First Known Use of consumable

Adjective - 1547, in the meaning defined above

Noun - 1722, in the meaning defined above
Old 07-29-22, 07:05 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by thumpism
The term dates from long before bicycles. From Merriam-Webster:

First Known Use of consumable

Adjective - 1547, in the meaning defined above

Noun - 1722, in the meaning defined above
No one's debating when the term originated. But thanks.
Old 07-29-22, 09:21 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Chains? My nice road bike that only goes out in nice weather is now on at least year 3...maybe 4, I lost count...with the same 10 speed chain. Lube it and clean it periodically, but so far, so good.
If I rode my bike a few hundred miles per year, my chains would last many years. Instead, based on measured wear, they last about 2/3 of a season. Without a mileage reference, your comment is not much use.
Old 07-29-22, 10:03 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
If you order your consumables from Amazon, they'll send them to you regularly, on a schedule!
Old 07-29-22, 12:05 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
All things are Energy. Energy can not be created nor destroyed. But, it is always transformed.,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.