Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heart rate montitor goes wonky at the same spot

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-22, 12:43 PM
lenticular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Near the end of my rides, I climb a fairly steep hill. I ride with a Garmin Edge 520 and a Garmin HRM. As I approach the hill, my heart rate is, say, 144. I start up the hill and watch my HR climb through the 150's into the 160's. Then, at the same spot every ride, my heart rate shows as dropping even though the hill remains steep. Suddenly my HR is displayed as being in the 140's, then falls through the 130's, and today it hit 112. I crest the hill, and my HR shows a believable 158.

The funny thing is that this happens at the same spot on the hill every time. As I climb, my breathing, and the effort it takes to get up the hill tell me that, yes, it is quite steep. There are no overhead powerlines, but I wonder about a Navy research facility about a mile away. I looked for HR deviation on the outbound leg, when I descend the hill, but I'm moving so fast that I'm only there for a few seconds and all is normal. The HRM is otherwise reliable.

Isn't that weird?
Old 08-07-22, 01:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Either it is electrical interference by the Navy, a software glitch, or your HRM strap is going south. I have Garmin as well and my strap started sending wonky readings to the transceiver unit. I would be riding along and my heart rate would show 115 when I knew it should be above 130. If it starts to happen in other places, replace the strap. If that is the sole place, its EMI.

Old 08-07-22, 01:42 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
BT interference

My Garmin speed sensor drops out every time I cross a particular bridge.
It's got to the point I'd worry if it didn't!

2.4GHz has become quite a crowded band.

Barry
Old 08-07-22, 02:30 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Electrical inteference...
Same thing happens to my HRM and cell on a stretch of road where there are some overhead major transmission lines... Both devices go wacko and the HRM eventually shuts off, because the lines are there for 3/4 mile... All leads to/from the Ellwood Peaker Plant - which actually is running fulltime 100%,
Super unhealthy for residents in a new, upscale development just a 100 yds away...
Can also happen with underground lines.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-07-22, 03:18 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Can you give the name and/or location of the Naval research facility?

Dan
Old 08-07-22, 04:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
How old is your strap. You'd think it'd be random time for worn out straps, but certain things might trigger them to misbehave. And perhaps it's the battery getting low and that's about the time it can draw current fast enough before the voltage goes too low. The rest periods between rides just let the battery get a second breath and once again be able to supply the required current and voltage for a short time.

Possibly it's some dastardly ray the aliens from outer space are using to observe the goings on at the Naval facility! <grin>
Old 08-07-22, 05:20 PM
lenticular

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The facility is SPAWAR on Pacific Highway in San Diego. The hill where the HRM goes wonky is Presidio Drive. There is probably no connection, but I recall living next to an Air Force base where peoples' garage doors would open mysteriously from time to time.

Since the indicated HR is always slower, never faster, than the actual, I would guess that packets are being dropped between the strap and the computer, but not so many as to make the computer decide that there is no HRM connected.
Old 08-07-22, 07:17 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Never ride close to a navy or air force research facility. Next time you might end up with sore butt and you have have absolutely no clue how it happened.
Old 08-08-22, 06:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by lenticular
The facility is SPAWAR on Pacific Highway in San Diego. The hill where the HRM goes wonky is Presidio Drive. There is probably no connection, but I recall living next to an Air Force base where peoples' garage doors would open mysteriously from time to time.
I'm only slightly surprised, if the source is at SPAWAR, they're not doing a better job containing or shielding the source. Are there any funny-shaped towers or radomes at the airport near that spot in the road?
Old 08-08-22, 08:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,892 Times in 6,093 Posts
Years ago, with a Polar HRM, when I turned onto one road at the base of a climb, my HRM would suddenly show numbers in the 220s. The first time I saw that, I almost panicked! Then I thought to stop and check my pulse, which was about half of that. I realized there was something there that was screwing with the signal.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-12-22, 06:43 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
In the distant past, I too have seen a Polar HRM jump to about 220, with no obvious reason.
Old 08-12-22, 09:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,892 Times in 6,093 Posts
In addition to the jump into the 220 range at the same spot repeatedly, I remembered another anomaly - PG&E put come high voltage cables underground along one of my favorite routes, and if I rode directly over them, my HR reading would drop to zero. I can tell you, the first time you see that it's a little freaky!

I played around with the range of the effect and found if I was > 6 feet away from the center of where the cables were buried, my HRM readings returned to normal. That was using a simple Polar HRM, and I was using wired cadence and speed sensors and a Cateye cyclocomputer. Later I got a Garmin with wireless sensors AND HRM, and riding along the same stretch, my indicated speed jumps all over the place - up and down 2 or more mph. I think the electromagnetic field around the cables is disrupting the speed sensor signal and the Garmin is switching back and forth between that and the GPS for my speed. That's my guess, anyhow.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles