Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

American Made TI Frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

American Made TI Frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 07:32 AM
Zschroeder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
American Made TI Frame

I don't want this to turn into an argument over buying American or not, but I have decided that for a variety of reasons I will only buy an American made TI road bike frame. Who should I consider? Here is my list thus far. Have I missed any? I would like to cosider all the options since this will be a pretty expensive purchase.

Seven
Moots
Merlin
Serotta
Lynskey
IF
Carl Strong
Kent Eriksen
Kish
Old 10-23-09, 07:36 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Moots
Old 10-23-09, 08:04 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Merlin, which I love and which I got on significant discount; buddy has a Seven which he loves. As a Merlin rider, I am honor bound to irrationally dislike Litespeeds, but they should be on the list. The Archon looks sweet.

If I were going to drop full price though, I'd go with a custom from Spectrum Cycles, which is run by Tom Kellogg. Kellogg did (and I think still does) the frame designs for Merlin. I don't think Kellogg's customs are particularly more expensive than a new Merlin etc. but you'd have to confirm that.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 10-23-09, 08:19 AM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not buy from the guy who started Moots cycles? Kent Eriksen. Pricey but Kent will build pretty much whatever you want.
Old 10-23-09, 08:40 AM
6strikekickball

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dean

I love my Lynskey, and they are selling then at a pretty good discount right now.
You forgot Dean.
Habanero cycles is based in FL, but if I recall correctly they use foreign tubing and maybe weld them here.
Old 10-23-09, 08:47 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
i dont think you can go wrong with any of the bikes on your list. if i were you, my research would be mostly based on fit, which manufacturer (if not custon) would match your dimensions best. as for build quality - i think most of them would be pretty near equal.
Old 10-23-09, 09:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22574 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by 6strikekickball
I love my Lynskey, and they are selling then at a pretty good discount right now.
You forgot Dean.
Habanero cycles is based in FL, but if I recall correctly they use foreign tubing and maybe weld them here.
Yes Habanero is in FL but the bikes are made in China. I just ordered one. Custom Ti for $1295, less than half the cost of a US-made custom Ti frame.

If I had money to burn, I would go with Kellogg/Spectrum.
Old 10-23-09, 09:11 AM
rcummings1

Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eriksen, Moots, or IF if you have the cash, Lynskey if your looking to spend a little less.

Personally I would call Eriksen, he sold Moots to get back to doing what he loves best, working with Customers one on one.

You might want to look at Hampsten Bikes also, Steve will design it, Eriksen or Moots will build it to his design.

Eriksen also OEM's his curved Titanium seatstays and chainstays to other builders.
Old 10-23-09, 09:16 AM
bwunger

Bikes: '07 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dunno where you live, but Davidson is a well known custom builder here in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 10-23-09, 09:24 AM
StefanG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sampson Sports in Colorado also builds Ti bikes (I'm assuming they are still built onshore), but don't know for sure. I still have a Sampson Kallispell from 1999 and its a awesome bike. Here is the link to their site: https://www.sampsonsports.com/

Not sure how his prices compare to others today, but 10 years ago, he was extremely competitive and his bikes received rave reviews from the bike magazines.

If I recall, I believe he's also gotten into manufacturing (or at least selling) his own branded components, and they haven't faired as well, but I assume he'll include whatever components you want. The only challenge (unless you live in Colorado) is not being able to test ride prior to placing the order.

But, they were (and I believe) still a small company. Matter of fact I sent an email to Sampson spoprts just the other day asking if they could dig up my receipt/specs from my 1999 purchase, and Eric Sampson (owner) responded to my email within 15 minutes. They had great customer service then, and that doesn't appear to have changed.
Old 10-23-09, 09:28 AM
Norcal_Cyclist

Bikes: '08 Madone 5.2 Perf, '94 Trek 8700, '72 Gitane TdF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Moots - jsut have to wait for the new frames if you want a compact. New frames should be available by Dec, with the RSL (Race Super Light) not available until March.
Old 10-23-09, 11:13 AM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My Lynskey R330 is being delivered TODAY! Pics soon.

If wanted to spend the cash I would have gone custom with Moots et al. With the current discounts at the Lynskey website I couldn't pass them up.

Dave
Old 10-23-09, 11:23 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,493 Times in 2,846 Posts
Originally Posted by Zschroeder
I don't want this to turn into an argument over buying American or not, but I have decided that for a variety of reasons I will only buy an American made TI road bike frame. Who should I consider? Here is my list thus far. Have I missed any? I would like to cosider all the options since this will be a pretty expensive purchase.

Seven
Moots
Merlin
Serotta
Lynskey
IF
Carl Strong
Kent Eriksen
Kish
Well, you missed two within 50 miles of me:
Dean - Boulder
Black Sheep - Fort Collins
Old 10-23-09, 11:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Spectrum
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-23-09, 11:47 AM
Trogon

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carl Strong would be at the top of my list.
Old 10-23-09, 11:50 AM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have an older Spectrum custom, and I can't get enough time on it.
I also have an older Serotta Legend Ti, and can't get enough time on that, either. I hope I'm never forced to pick one or the other.
Old 10-23-09, 11:58 AM
Zschroeder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deals

I have seen the Lynskey deals and hear quite a few people getting deals on Merlins (when and where?). Do other manufacturers run sales? I'm more interested in a good fit then a deal, but if I can get both, that would be great.
Old 10-23-09, 12:20 PM
jschn04 
Jonathan

Bikes: Lynskey Sportive, Peter Mooney Steel Road Bike, 1974 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by armybikerider
My Lynskey R330 is being delivered TODAY! Pics soon.

If wanted to spend the cash I would have gone custom with Moots et al. With the current discounts at the Lynskey website I couldn't pass them up.

Dave
Me too. I got mine yesterday. Full SRAM Red with the Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels.

The headset used some epoxy inside so I could not ride it last night. However, I got on it this morning...Wow. Ti is a totally different ballgame than carbon (my other bike is a Felt Z25). Looking forward to putting in some miles on it tomorrow.
Old 10-23-09, 12:21 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
You have a bunch of bikes making comparsions difficult. Some come custom with dealers to help size you, some are small independents where much of the customization is over the phone, some are mass produced with customization as an option, and others are mass produced with standard sizing. I can tell you from experience that customization varies a lot between builders and their fitting philosophies.

If you are interested in sales, you can leave out Serotta (to some extent), Seven, Moots, and IF. If you are interested in customization (there are advantages expecially if your body is different than the norm or you like to dial in certain characteristics), then you should look at just a portion of these.
Old 10-23-09, 12:35 PM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seven Cycles is a good choice. Stunning welds and renowned attention to detail, with lots of imput re: stiffness, etc.
Old 10-23-09, 01:24 PM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why Merlin and not Litespeed? They are made by the same company. An "entry level" Litespeed Siena is pretty darn close to a Lynsky. I looked at both and picked the Litespeed because it was about $150 less.
Old 10-23-09, 01:57 PM
lung
Ass Hatchet

Bikes: Felt FC custom | SRAM Force/Red mix.| RS80 Wheels | 3T Cockpit & Post.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
I have a Merlin, which I love and which I got on significant discount; buddy has a Seven which he loves. As a Merlin rider, I am honor bound to irrationally dislike Litespeeds, but they should be on the list. The Archon looks sweet.

If I were going to drop full price though, I'd go with a custom from Spectrum Cycles, which is run by Tom Kellogg. Kellogg did (and I think still does) the frame designs for Merlin. I don't think Kellogg's customs are particularly more expensive than a new Merlin etc. but you'd have to confirm that.
Ha! I'm a Merlin guy too... and often feel the same way but don't know why? Why is that?
Old 10-23-09, 02:44 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.roarkcycles.com/
Old 10-23-09, 02:51 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jade cycles

https://www.jadecycles.com/
Old 10-23-09, 03:00 PM
n8tron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lung
Ha! I'm a Merlin guy too... and often feel the same way but don't know why? Why is that?
i'm curious too... their owned by the same company aren't they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.