Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 08:08 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Maybe we could just install underground gas and diesel lines to the stations, and no need to drive the tankers through town. For that matter, run the lines to the houses, so one can just fill up in the garage.
Was going to say too much $$ for the infrastructure. However, if you live in a fairly urban area, then you probably already have naturual gas going to the house like me. This makes me wonder why we (or I) don't take more advantage of it for cars. Would be simple to fill up a tank in the trunk if you had a car that would use it. Natural gas cars are just not popular in the US as far as I know. I think the fuel cost is a wash and would be about the same as gasoline. But the convenience and less dependability on gas stations and cleaner burning fuel are interesting options. The less dependability on the station would have been beneficial right after superstorm Sandy for me. I got lucky and got a 5 gallon can filled at a station a day before they ran out of gas. However, I'm sure that many others were not so lucky. Oh, well. Sorry for the tangent...
Old 07-15-18, 09:24 AM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I see big rigs locally with these signs on the back:

Preposterus. Is the only word that comes to mind.
Old 07-15-18, 09:28 AM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
The longer video makes it really obvious that the cyclist couldn't have seen a signal from the truck, and was lucky she wasn't closer to the cab when he turned.

I guess the only thing to do is simply never pass on the right, even in a bike lane.
He saw her. If the driver isnt blind, he saw her. And if he is blind, who let him behind the wheel of a truck? Either way, its his fault 100%. Take away his license and make him do something else before he kills someone.
Old 07-15-18, 11:13 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
He saw her. If the driver isnt blind, he saw her. And if he is blind, who let him behind the wheel of a truck? Either way, its his fault 100%. Take away his license and make him do something else before he kills someone.
Issues of who is to blame are actually very different than who needs to do what to stay alive.
Old 07-15-18, 12:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
if you live in a fairly urban area, then you probably already have naturual gas going to the house like me. This makes me wonder why we (or I) don't take more advantage of it for cars. Would be simple to fill up a tank in the trunk if you had a car that would use it. Natural gas cars are just not popular in the US as far as I know.
I'm not sure. Some people have experimented with propane.

LPG: Liquid Propane Gas
CNG: Compressed Natural Gas
LNG: Liquid Natural Gas

I think one issue is that it is not easy to convert from stove gas to LNG. So, one may be stuck with much lower density CNG.

Propane, on the other hand is liquefied to LPG at a much lower pressure, so it is much easier to store and transport.

If a person is tied to only filling at their own house, then that would limit their range, and there are mighty few filling stations across the USA for CNG or LNG. 20 years ago, I think the natural gas was also much slower to refill than propane, although perhaps that has been remedied by now. Better buffers?

One might be able to design a vehicle that could use either propane or natural gas, but it would likely require redundant tanks, and electronic injection.
Old 07-15-18, 01:54 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Issues of who is to blame are actually very different than who needs to do what to stay alive.
What we need to do to stay alive is take CDLs away from dangerous operators. Even if they don’t kill someone. Even when a person on a bicycle does what needs to be done to stay alive.

Amazing to watch operators in Copenhagen last week. They get it. Why don’t you?

-mr. bill
Old 07-15-18, 01:54 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad

And here's best practices from CyclingSavvy:

This! That is a perfect graphic illustration of what I was trying to convey earlier. From a safety standpoint, focusing on this is where the value is.
Old 07-15-18, 02:11 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

What we need to do to stay alive is take CDLs away from dangerous operators. Even if they don’t kill someone. Even when a person on a bicycle does what needs to be done to stay alive.

Amazing to watch operators in Copenhagen last week. They get it. Why don’t you?

-mr. bill
I said they were separate issues. Why don't you get that?

Is it because you aren't cognitively able to understand, or you just have some personality issue that causes you to attack even when you're not making sense?
Old 07-15-18, 03:46 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
However, if you live in a fairly urban area, then you probably already have naturual gas going to the house like me. This makes me wonder why we (or I) don't take more advantage of it for cars. Would be simple to fill up a tank in the trunk if you had a car that would use it.
Actually, it's not simple as you need to re-compress it. Last mile cooking/heating gas pipeline pressures are far too low to store a useful amount in a vehicle. While the engineering for end-user compressors can be done, there are a lot of safety issues that have to be done right. Last thing I heard (and this was a number of years ago) US regulators (possibly more an alliance of local ones than federal?) were waiting to see the safety record of home compressors in countries that were allowing them.

It would be worthwhile to look into how that turned out.
Old 07-15-18, 06:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Thanks for the link.

It is clear that the bicycle overtook the tanker from the rear, about a block before the gas station, and long before the tanker started signaling (or should have been signaling).

Watching this video, it is clear the cyclist hesitated before dismounting and stepping back.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1433265

Would she have realized her imminent danger had it been a longer single trailer rig? Another second hesitation, and she could have been knocked over, and under the truck.

Yes, the driver should have seen the cyclist, but this is also a place where the cyclist put herself in a dangerous place, and it is harder to catch someone approaching from the rear and passing on the right than remembering having just passed the person.

I can't say that I never pass on the right, but it is not good to hang next to a large truck without quickly completing the pass.
My dad operated three gas stations in his life. You stay behind enough gasoline to service two locations.
Old 07-15-18, 07:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

And with that I see nothing further in arguments.
Old 07-15-18, 10:37 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Exactly!
As grandma used to say about "right of way", there is right, and there is DEAD right.
Old 07-18-18, 02:23 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Who is right or wrong has already been established by the rule of law. If there's anything we can learn for these examples is that knowing those laws and being consistent is what will keep us safe.
Well said.
Knowing the law and consistently riding to the right of tractor trailers will keep you safe
Old 07-18-18, 03:32 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
Exactly!
As grandma used to say about "right of way", there is right, and there is DEAD right.
Speaking of grandmas, I'd imagine she'd have a good amount of company in this thread.

For anyone that's afraid to go outside, I present you an alternative. Although its hard to be sure if cyclist would still apply?

Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Well said.
Knowing the law and consistently riding to the right of tractor trailers will keep you safe
Perhaps it doesn't occur to you that it could be the "tractor" driving next to the cyclist? Decisions, decisions. What shall I do?

Last edited by KraneXL; 07-18-18 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 06:10 AM
mr_bill

For those that have never been in the cab of a truck, here's a demo of the blind spots for a driver (UK video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-rhiGRFTE

Have you never wondered why there isn't abject carnage around tractor trailers driving through cities?

There would be dead people on foot and dead people on bikes EVERYWHERE, EVERY SINGLE DAY if that's how blind HGV operators are.

For those who have never been in the cab of a tractor trailer, here's a demo of the ACTUAL blind spots prepared by an ACTUAL driver (UK video) in rebuttal to that British Safety Council rubbish.

Through the magic of maladjusted mirrors flat mirrors, maladjusted convex mirror, and panning to IGNORE the far-side look-down mirror, the British Safety Council disapperated the people on pushbikes.

Note that in the British Safety Council video, there is no look-down mirror on the front screen. All such mirrors are now required for HGVs by TfL.

In the Vancouver video, the operator had flat mirrors, convex mirrors, and CONVEX FENDER MIRRORS.

The person on the bike was wearing BRIGHT PINK, on an overcast day (ambient light only, no confounding shadows), who would be visible to ANY competent operator who LOOKED. Probably in all three far-side mirrors, certainly in the two convex mirrors.

(That's one of the reasons why our bus operator and person on a bike asked about convex mirrors.)

With emphasis:

The reason the person on the bike wasn't seen is because the OPERATOR DID NOT LOOK.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-18-18 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 06:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Have you never wondered why there isn't abject carnage around tractor trailers driving through cities?

In the Vancouver video, the operator had flat mirrors, convex mirrors, and CONVEX FENDER MIRRORS.

The reason the person on the bike wasn't seen is because the OPERATOR DID NOT LOOK.

-mr. bill
I'd say 4,000 to 4,500 fatalities per year is a serious number of commercial vehicle involved deaths - maybe not carnage, but not insignificant either. Commercial vehicles make up less that 4% of vehicles on the road but are involved 13.5% of fatal collisions on the roads. (I understand they also log significantly more miles per vehicle and I didn't look up those stats - fatal collisions per mile are likely equal or slanted the other way)

Convex mirrors are not required in the US, it appears NY requires them (good thing with NYC). But that puts the responsibility in the hands of an operator or business to add and maintain convex mirrors on their rigs. Based on my experience as a commercial driver (and via my brother-in-law that currently drives semi), these safety features are not a priority - keeping costs down and getting it done quickly, those are the priorities. (yes, fatal collisions are high cost, but the big companies typically fire and blame the driver for not following safety protocols).

Lastly, we totally agree the driver of this truck failed to check his mirrors properly prior to making that right turn.
Old 07-18-18, 07:19 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Speaking of grandmas, I'd imagine she'd have a good amount of company in this thread.

For anyone that's afraid to go outside, I present you an alternative. Although its hard to be sure if cyclist would still apply?

Perhaps it doesn't occur to you that it could be the "tractor" driving next to the cyclist? Decisions, decisions. What shall I do?
It did occur. That’s why bicycles have brakes and riders have brains. Brains not filled with 24/7 anti-vehicle rage work best in these kinds of situations btw.
Old 07-18-18, 07:21 AM
mr_bill

I'd say 4,000 to 4,500 fatalities per year is a serious number of commercial vehicle involved deaths - maybe not carnage, but not insignificant either.
87 people on bikes died in crashes (not accidents) with large trucks in the US in 2016.

(yes, fatal collisions are high cost, but the big companies typically fire and blame the driver for not following safety protocols).
Or blame the person on foot or the person on the bike. Around here the vast majority of operators involved with a crash (not accident) with a pedestrian or cyclist are still operating for the company they worked for at the time of the crash (not accident).

-mr. bill
Old 07-18-18, 02:07 PM
jamesflood1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually we need to keep safe distance from the truck. If we don't keep the safe distance there might be a risk to accident.
Old 07-18-18, 02:15 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesflood1
Actually we need to keep safe distance from the truck. If we don't keep the safe distance there might be a risk to accident.
There are no accidents, only collisions/crashes.
Old 07-18-18, 05:25 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

There are collisions that aren't an accident, they are called demolition derby and bumper cars.
Old 07-18-18, 05:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

It did occur. That’s why bicycles have brakes and riders have brains. Brains not filled with 24/7 anti-vehicle rage work best in these kinds of situations btw.
You just stated the obvious. That much was determined by the outcome in the video.
Originally Posted by jamesflood1
Riding a bike on the road is a dynamic process. So moving to a "safe distance" to the truck on the left, could put you in an unsafe distance to the one on the right. In the event of a contact, you end up in the wrong. Hindsight is always 20/20, but there is no one simple solution except to ride defensively. Same as cars.
Old 07-19-18, 07:34 AM
mr_bill

Well said.

I'm stopped at a stoplight in the right lane.
A truck pulls up next to me in the left lane and stops.
I put on my brakes.
I'm STILL stopped at a stoplight in the right lane.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-19-18 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 07:31 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The entire footage, in high def. There are three GTFOOMW lights on each side, two on the rear tanker, one on the cab. The operator has a convex mirror. The visibility of a double tanker going straight is a non issue. The operator drags his wheels over the curb, and a bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU6UR_E9fvo

Operators who drive like that deserve to lose their CDL.

-mr. bill
Excellent. It shows that the cyclist had already passed the rear end of the second tanker trailer. By the time the truck driver put on their turn signal. The truck driver was at fault.