Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing a Shimano Chain - Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 02:49 PM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have always used Campy and changing the chain is second nature. Now, I have a bike with all Shimano and have the chain ready to go. I am at the point of separating the links from the amount I needed and I noticed that I have to use the included pin that comes in a small package with the chain? I thought I could just separate the chain and connect to the other end. It looks like a different install compared to Campy?
Old 07-11-18, 02:55 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Sounds like you have a chain without a quick link. Use a chain tool to push the pin in until the non-tapered side is flush with the link, then use pliers to snap off the part that you pushed through. I just did this for the first time on Friday, it's easy-peasy.
Old 07-11-18, 03:21 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
It really is a better system - you punch out the whole pin of the link where you want the chain length to be, and then push in the little leader pin to join it all up.

I don't miss the days of pushing the pin "just far enough but not all the way out". And I successfully threaded a pin that I pushed too far just once... took most of a whole day.
Old 07-11-18, 03:26 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I'd get a proper quick link/master link and use that instead; I dislike the Shimano "special joining pin" concept.
Old 07-11-18, 03:29 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I'd get a proper quick link/master link and use that instead; I dislike the Shimano "special joining pin" concept.
Ditto. They're common and cheap.
Old 07-11-18, 04:03 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Also, keep in mind most Shimano chains are asymmetric. All lettering/numbering on link plates face outward (away from bike).
highly suggest a quickie link.
good luck.
Old 07-11-18, 04:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can use KMC quick links with shimano chains if the 'speeds'

chain width matches.

I have no background in high end Newest Dura Ace race bike stuff,
people around here, in the county, don't spend that kind of money..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 04:53 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I have been using the 'pin' on three Shimano chains(10 speed) and the only thing that was not clear was which side of the chain should I use when inserting the pin? I decided on inserting the pin on the non-drive side of the chain and breaking the pin off on the drive side. This lets the non-drive side that runs near the cassette be perfectly flush, when you break off the pin on the drive side it is not perfectly flush.
Old 07-11-18, 07:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
New Shimano 11 speed chains should not come with joining pins but should come with quick-links instead.

If you purchase a Shimano 11 speed chain with joining pins then it is old stock. Newer stock will have an indication of the quick link on the front of the package.

-Tim-
Old 07-12-18, 03:01 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
I have been using the 'pin' on three Shimano chains(10 speed) and the only thing that was not clear was which side of the chain should I use when inserting the pin? I decided on inserting the pin on the non-drive side of the chain and breaking the pin off on the drive side. This lets the non-drive side that runs near the cassette be perfectly flush, when you break off the pin on the drive side it is not perfectly flush.
You've been doing it backwards:

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-CN0001-05-ENG.pdf
Old 07-12-18, 08:40 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Thanks for that link. I will switch on my next chain. When I do it the way the link shows, I want to take a dremel and smooth down the broken off protrusion.
Old 07-13-18, 03:16 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I bought a new 11 spd shimano and it came with a quick link. I actually did not use it yet I will save it. I always have used a shimano chain and a connex quick link for my 10 spds and then connex started making 11 spd quick links. They add some to the cost but of all the quick links they are the best and easiest to use. I can take the chain off and on to clean in seconds.
Old 07-13-18, 03:38 PM
meerzistar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldnt recomend this, I got by with some solid core wire to hold my master links together. Its not like I havent tried buying a new master link. Two shops wanted me to buy the whole chain. When you can see I have a perfectly good chain. Id be just as far ahead after burning 86 bucks. We dont sell links separately". Lame.

Last edited by meerzistar; 07-13-18 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 08:57 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I ride mostly Campagnolo drivetrains with Shimano chains. Best chains in terms of longevity and shift quality.

Use the supplied Shimano pin, as far as strength, a much superior solution to quick links. Shops despise Shimano chains, because they take a extra 60 seconds to install, and you have to read the included instructions, clearly beyond your standard shop mechanic.

I've heard that Shimano has caved-in to misguided customer and shop pressure, and for 11-speed chains has gone to a quick link system.

Normally, Shimano is a rational engineering-based firm that gets dragged into dumb things when forced to by external irrationalities. For example, stupidity like 1 x drivetrains, 11 speeds (now 12 speeds? Seriously? ) etc.
Old 07-14-18, 09:45 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I ride mostly Campagnolo drivetrains with Shimano chains. Best chains in terms of longevity and shift quality.

Use the supplied Shimano pin, as far as strength, a much superior solution to quick links. Shops despise Shimano chains, because they take a extra 60 seconds to install, and you have to read the included instructions, clearly beyond your standard shop mechanic.

I've heard that Shimano has caved-in to misguided customer and shop pressure, and for 11-speed chains has gone to a quick link system.

Normally, Shimano is a rational engineering-based firm that gets dragged into dumb things when forced to by external irrationalities. For example, stupidity like 1 x drivetrains, 11 speeds (now 12 speeds? Seriously? ) etc.
I was a shop mechanic. I never cared what kind of chain, and installing a pin takes no more time than a quick link. Especially when some quick links have to be oriented correctly, which means you have to check the instructions. I'd post the quick link instructions on the bench for quick reference. I only had to read the Shimano instructions once.

Where are you getting your information from? I imagine Shimano went to quick links because they work fine and 11 speed side plates are very thin.
Old 07-15-18, 06:54 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

I have no background in high end Newest Dura Ace race bike stuff,
people around here, in the county, don't spend that kind of money..
It's all about weight reduction ... from one's wallet.
Old 07-15-18, 07:22 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I've used Shimano's joining pin on their chains since the 8-speed days and have also used Craig Super Links (anyone else remember them?) on Shimano chains, and Wipperman's Connex links, and SRAM and KMC quicklinks on their respective chains. All of them work and the only disadvantage to the Shimano pins is for those who remove their chains frequently for cleaning. The Shimano pins are indeed quicker to install and i've never had one fail. For that matter, I've never had a quick link fail either.
Old 07-15-18, 06:42 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If you're hamfisted it's not difficult to sightly over press a Shimano pin, and I've defiantly seen some failures, though none on my personal bikes or on any chains I've installed to my knowledge.

The last campy chains to simply press in a normal pin is 9 speed. 10 speed campy used a special joining chain segment and 11 and 12 speed use a joining pin that must be peened with a special chain tool.
Old 07-16-18, 08:49 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Timely post. I just tried to install a new Ultegra 11-speed chain yesterday and could not get the master link to fully close. I tried every trick and tool I have. It looks like it should be so easy. I caved and ordered a master link tool (Park 1.2).

I miss the old Shimano chains with the pins.
Old 07-16-18, 08:53 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by jp911
Timely post. I just tried to install a new Ultegra 11-speed chain yesterday and could not get the master link to fully close. I tried every trick and tool I have. It looks like it should be so easy. I caved and ordered a master link tool (Park 1.2).

I miss the old Shimano chains with the pins.
Did you have the link running on the top stretch of chain, then step on the pedal?

There's a youtube guy that shows himself trying to get the link to lock with it on the bottom between the crank and rear derailleur. That's not going to work.
Old 07-16-18, 10:42 AM
meerzistar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jp911
I can usually snap them on with a thumbnail, removing them in another thing. Its easy to deform them, or they fly away. Good to have the pliers. Especially true if you encounter O rings on a car or motorcycle.