Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New steel frame to replace '80 Schwinn Voyageur

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 11:35 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hi all. My Voyageur which I have owned since 1980 has finally bit the dust (crack forming in downtube near headtube). I am looking to purchase an inexpensive new steel frame so I can essentially move components over. I use the voyageur mainly for commuting and training rides. I also own a Soma Saga which I tour on. Yesterday, I took delivery of a New Albion Homebrew frameset which I believed would be suitable replacement only to find out that the seatstays were too narrow to run my 45mm fenders which are essential equipment for me. I am now considering a Soma Stanyan which according to the website can handle 28mm tires with fenders or 35mm tires without fenders. (A little wider seat stays but not much ) Another bike I have looked at is a New Albion privateer which can handle much wider tires because it uses cantilever brakes but it seems very similar to a dedicated touring bike which I already own. I can get good deals on both bikes and they both generally get good reviews. I am leaning toward the Stanyan as my parts are most compatible with it and it is a better quality frameset but I would really like the option of running wider tires with fenders. The privateer looks like a cool bike but like I said I don't need another cantilevered touring bike. Anyway, i would love to hear all your informed opinions.
Old 08-15-18, 07:12 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Why not spend $300 bucks and get the frame repaired?
Old 08-16-18, 03:35 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The frame is 38 years old and I feel like the steel is fatigued. I am not even sure it could be repaired. Plus, for not much more than $300, I can buy a pretty new frame.
Old 08-16-18, 05:29 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
The frame is 38 years old and I feel like the steel is fatigued. I am not even sure it could be repaired. Plus, for not much more than $300, I can buy a pretty new frame.
what condition are the components?
what's the rear hub width and rim size?
unless you get another vintage era steel frame, some parts won't fit....front derailler, hubs, fork/headset, seatpost..

you could spend $500 and get one of them fuji/nashbar/iforgetsomebritname touring bikes new on sale.

or watch ebay, get a vintage NOS frame for a hundred bucks....

or one of these babies..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-90s-Mon...a/172855043382

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-MARIN-KE...W/391679915222

Last edited by saddlesores; 08-16-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 06:33 AM
zacharyhoyt

Bikes: 1998 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best of luck finding what you need. In about 2006 someone gave me a 1976 Super Le Tour and I rode that till 2011, it was a good bike but not as reliable as I wanted for going on multi-day trips so in 2011 I moved up to a 1998 Trek 520. I liked the Schwinn, but maintaining two bikes didn't make a lot of sense for me so I passed it on to a group that fixes up bikes and gives them to people in Rochester NY. It must be complicated trying to find something that matches your old frame.
Zach
Old 08-16-18, 06:52 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
you could spend $500 and get one of them fuji/nashbar/iforgetsomebritname touring bikes new on sale.

or watch ebay, get a vintage NOS frame for a hundred bucks....

or one of these babies..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-90s-Mon...a/172855043382

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-MARIN-KE...W/391679915222

Components are quality and in great shape. Thanks for suggestions but I don't need another touring bike. I want a new frame and have tentatively narrowed it down to New Albion privateer and SOMA Stanyan because I can get a great price on either of these. I would like to hear opinions on these. I am always open to other new frame suggestions as well.
Old 08-16-18, 07:04 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
....I am always open to other new frame suggestions as well.
Soma ES will take 57mm drop brakes which are what your Schwinn has already and the geometry is very similar. I'd get it over a Stanyan. Another choice is the Soma Pescadero. You'll need a new set of brake calipers but you can run 38mm tyres with fenders. I went for the Fog Cutter and upgraded to disc brakes.
Old 08-16-18, 07:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Sorry can't help much with frames, but I did have a "just in case you hadn't considered it" thought. Does the Schwinn have the original 27" wheels/6 speed freewheel still, or have those been replaced with 700 components? If they are original 27", that could cause issues with tire clearance and brake fitment on a new frame.

If you really like the Voyageur, have you considered just looking for a replacement? Ones in great shape are still quite common in my CL area. Theres a 23" 1980 in seemingly pristine shape for $204 right now.
Old 08-16-18, 07:28 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Soma ES will take 57mm drop brakes which are what your Schwinn has already and the geometry is very similar. I'd get it over a Stanyan. Another choice is the Soma Pescadero. You'll need a new set of brake calipers but you can run 38mm tyres with fenders. I went for the Fog Cutter and upgraded to disc brakes.

Yes, considered pescadero but a little too expensive for what I want to do now. I think eventually I will spend $$ for a bike with disc brakes like you did but not right now. I looked briefly at the ES - looks like I could run wider tires with fenders than the Stanyan. Advantage of Stanyan is I can get it much cheaper.
Old 08-16-18, 07:33 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Sorry can't help much with frames, but I did have a "just in case you hadn't considered it" thought. Does the Schwinn have the original 27" wheels/6 speed freewheel still, or have those been replaced with 700 components? If they are original 27", that could cause issues with tire clearance and brake fitment on a new frame.

If you really like the Voyageur, have you considered just looking for a replacement? Ones in great shape are still quite common in my CL area. Theres a 23" 1980 in seemingly pristine shape for $204 right now.
I switched over to 700s with free hub years ago on the voyageur. At one time or another, I have owned up to four 80's vintage Voyageurs that I have restored. I'm kinda ready to move on from the vintage thing and get a brand new frame. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-16-18, 08:02 AM
jefnvk

I switched over to 700s with free hub years ago on the voyageur. At one time or another, I have owned up to four 80's vintage Voyageurs that I have restored. I'm kinda ready to move on from the vintage thing and get a brand new frame. Thanks for your suggestions.
Fair enough! Post pretty pics of whatever you end up doing, I've always been enamored by the thought of some of these more boutique frame makers, and having something I know I'll never run into on the road!
Old 08-16-18, 08:21 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I saw that Bikes Direct was blowing out whole Windsor Tourists bikes for $400. I do not know if they have limited sizes.
Old 08-16-18, 09:50 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I do not know if the Windsor Tourist meets your criteria. Sometimes tourists (buyers) end up making concessions when faced with such a favorable price on a bike. I am just sayin' to head off some nasty troll remarks directed to me, because the O.P. specified slightly different specifications.
Old 08-16-18, 11:53 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Brian25
I saw that Bikes Direct was blowing out whole Windsor Tourists bikes for $400. I do not know if they have limited sizes.
I think that was just a flash sale, they seem to be $600 right now.
Old 08-16-18, 03:06 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
unless you get another vintage era steel frame, some parts won't fit....front derailler, hubs, fork/headset, seatpost....
Perhaps it makes sense to check out the specs of both frames before such declarative statements?

Stanyan/Voyageur have 1" threaded fork, 28.6mm front derailleur, and the rear hub is off by 4mm (126mm vs 130mm). Voyageur seatpost is 26.8mm and Stanyan is 27.2mm so that can be an issue.

(Unless OP went with 130mm rear hub when he upgraded to 700C wheelset. In that case he doesn't have any issues with rear hub spacing. And it's very common to see the 126mm hubs used in 130mm frames and visa-versa.)
Old 08-16-18, 10:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I am looking to purchase an inexpensive new steel frame so I can essentially move components over. I use the voyageur mainly for commuting and training rides. I also own a Soma Saga which I tour on. Yesterday, I took delivery of a New Albion Homebrew frameset which I believed would be suitable replacement only to find out that the seatstays were too narrow to run my 45mm fenders which are essential equipment for me. I am now considering a Soma Stanyan which according to the website can handle 28mm tires with fenders or 35mm tires without fenders. (A little wider seat stays but not much ) Another bike I have looked at is a New Albion privateer which can handle much wider tires because it uses cantilever brakes but it seems very similar to a dedicated touring bike which I already own. I can get good deals on both bikes and they both generally get good reviews. I am leaning toward the Stanyan as my parts are most compatible with it and it is a better quality frameset but I would really like the option of running wider tires with fenders. The privateer looks like a cool bike but like I said I don't need another cantilevered touring bike. Anyway, i would love to hear all your informed opinions.
looks like you want a sport touring frame.
not a straight up aggressive position road bike and not a full on touring bike.
something that straddles both worlds a bit. Lighter and more nimble than a touring bike, but able to carry more than a road bike.

black mountain cycles road frame fits that.
Road Frames - Black Mountain Cycles

I came so close to buying one last winter now that they sell a 64cm size, but ended up learning to build a frame and built one that is eerily similar in geometry to a black mountain road frame!

heat treated double butted cromo tubing.
Its mentioned that a 45mm fender fits with massaging. Or just buy 40mm fenders and use awesome 28mm Conti GPII tires that will measure out to 31mm wide. Fast, light, and reliable.
its built for midreach brakes and set up for direct mount fenders since the brake bridge and chainstay bridge are equidistant.

I have a gravel frame and love it. Quality all the way with wet paint, nice looking welds, everything lines up as it should, and the tubing is prestige level when specs are considered.

sorry to hear the 11.8 is done for.
Old 08-16-18, 11:53 PM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
looks like you want a sport touring frame.
not a straight up aggressive position road bike and not a full on touring bike.
something that straddles both worlds a bit. Lighter and more nimble than a touring bike, but able to carry more than a road bike.

black mountain cycles road frame fits that.
Road Frames - Black Mountain Cycles

I came so close to buying one last winter now that they sell a 64cm size, but ended up learning to build a frame and built one that is eerily similar in geometry to a black mountain road frame!

heat treated double butted cromo tubing.
Its mentioned that a 45mm fender fits with massaging. Or just buy 40mm fenders and use awesome 28mm Conti GPII tires that will measure out to 31mm wide. Fast, light, and reliable.
its built for midreach brakes and set up for direct mount fenders since the brake bridge and chainstay bridge are equidistant.

I have a gravel frame and love it. Quality all the way with wet paint, nice looking welds, everything lines up as it should, and the tubing is prestige level when specs are considered.

sorry to hear the 11.8 is done for.
Sounds cool to build your own frame. I watched a frame builder repair a seat stay on my voyageur once and I thought it was something I would like to try my hand at some day. Yes, a little sad about having to retire her now. I ended up ordering a New Albion privateer in a cool copper color. I guess you could describe it as a sport tourer. Decent steel double butted tubing with bosses for cantilever brakes, plenty of room for wide tires and fenders but not a full on tourer, Best of all it was just $418 including shipping.
Old 08-17-18, 06:08 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The Albion frames look nice. I like the sport touring design of the Privateer. You should like it as it is a nice departure from a Voyageur. I am building a frame for my daughter right now. Been at it since November of last year! Small frame and hard to get it right. Next up is a frame for myself to replace the 1985 Miyata 1000 I have. You really should try it as it is fun. Just don't expect it to go as envisioned and expect it to take way more time than you planned, and plan on redoing some things. My weakness are the drop outs and had to redo them many times over to get it right. I am at least 8 months over schedule on my daughter's frame!
For what it is worth. I was trained in brazing back in the 70's, but did not braze other than that training in high school. Built my first frame in 2001 and did two repairs on bikes, but had not picked up the torch after that until last fall. Maybe this has something to do with the steep re-learning curve?
Old 08-20-18, 05:08 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The Albion frames look nice. I like the sport touring design of the Privateer. You should like it as it is a nice departure from a Voyageur. I am building a frame for my daughter right now. Been at it since November of last year! Small frame and hard to get it right. Next up is a frame for myself to replace the 1985 Miyata 1000 I have. You really should try it as it is fun. Just don't expect it to go as envisioned and expect it to take way more time than you planned, and plan on redoing some things. My weakness are the drop outs and had to redo them many times over to get it right. I am at least 8 months over schedule on my daughter's frame!
For what it is worth. I was trained in brazing back in the 70's, but did not braze other than that training in high school. Built my first frame in 2001 and did two repairs on bikes, but had not picked up the torch after that until last fall. Maybe this has something to do with the steep re-learning curve?
If I had access to a shop and and someone to get me started, it would be fun to give frame building a shot. I have sweated copper pipes a time or two. Does that count as experience? Good luck with your builds. I think I will like the Privateer. If it comes soon enough and I can build it up, I may take it on a little trip I am planning in early September.
Old 08-28-18, 09:17 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Fair enough! Post pretty pics of whatever you end up doing, I've always been enamored by the thought of some of these more boutique frame makers, and having something I know I'll never run into on the road!

I finished building my New Albion Privateer. Very happy with it. I will use it for light touring and all around purposes.

Old 08-28-18, 10:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I finished building my New Albion Privateer. Very happy with it. I will use it for light touring and all around purposes.
Fast build!
Love that color- is it a red-copper or something?
Old 08-28-18, 11:12 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Fast build!
Love that color- is it a red-copper or something?
New Albion calls it copper but you are right, it has a reddish cast. The other option was black but I thought this was a pretty color. Fast build resulted from the fact that I needed to get a commuting bike up and running and I had all the parts except for one cantilever brake and threadless headset. I was concerned it would feel like my dedicated touring bike but it is surprisingly sporty.