Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Converting from 700c to 650b

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Converting from 700c to 650b

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 09:45 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Glad I wasn't the only one wondering WTF, when I read that.... LOLOLOL
I giggled a little, too, but figured OP isn't a native English speaker.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-16-18, 09:47 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokicake

i think im doing it!! Just gotta wait to get my innertube. Its just a tire with not tube for now
Those wheels are not ment for rim brakes. I can't imagine they will last very long?
Old 08-16-18, 09:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Well I'm glad you figured something out. Sheldon Brown wrote a little about converting to 650B years ago. Still, I'd be iffy on using rims that are not specifically marketed for rim brakes. They might hold up, they might be simply the rim brake model they painted, put stickers on and sold as disc brake rims....... but you never know. Saying that you don't need great braking because you won't be going seriously fast or need to stop quick is sort of silly sounding as are those that don't wear seat belts because they don't plan to have an accident.

And why spend the money on an aero frame? Aero isn't going to do anything for you at speeds less than seriously fast.
Old 08-16-18, 10:51 AM
hokicake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just thought the Aero frame looked different and I wanted something different and something that look like a serious road bike because I really want a road bike and I don't like those bikes to have the slanted bars or the step-through frame because it doesn't look like a road bike so that's why I really want something that has a straight top tube but if this doesn't work out with these wheels I can just put the other wheels back on and I can probably get used to it and it won't be such a big deal but it will just be ideal if I could drop the frame about an inch but if I can't oh well I just thought it would be worth a try
Old 08-16-18, 02:05 PM
hokicake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy guess wuts! I found some 650b x 28 tires! I just ordered one since I think the one I got now will fit in the rear anyways so it'll be a good thing I think to have a bigger tire in the back. and I also found some 650b x 20 - 28 inner tubes! I'm so excited. I'm gonna have the bike of my dreams soon. Well not so soon cause I gotta wait like 2 weeks for the tubes and maybe up to 3 weeks for the tire cause I had to order from the united kingdom. These sizes are sooooo not normal for the U.S. I guess. Am I really not normal? There's gotta be other girls my height in america! I guess they don't try to ride serious road bikes and get bikes with sloapy tubes that look like mountian bikes if they arn't or those step through hybrids like I use to ride. I just really wanted something nice and light so hopefully it'll work now. I should be getting my inner tube for the 1.5 tire I got in about a week or maybe sooner. I gotta stock up on all this stuff cause no local bike shop has any of this. I went to 4 places the other say and when I was telling them the sizes I wanted they were looking at me like i'm a crazy head. I guess this is just popular in Taiwan and China cause I see it's like normal over there but I guess cause everyone is short. Americans and their big legs!
Old 08-16-18, 03:16 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hokicake
...These sizes are sooooo not normal for the U.S. I guess....
Here's a local source with over 100 road/cyclocross 650B/27.5 tyres:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=5912
Old 08-16-18, 03:25 PM
hokicake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeahhhhhhh. no. They r all thick im looking for 650b x 32 or 28
Old 08-17-18, 05:09 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
This is something you do when you have discs. Dropping the pads increases leverage against you, so you have to pull the levers harder.

i have fitted 2.5in tyres to an 80s Raleigh shopper bike, and needed to modify the frame to clear them. I used an automotive spring compressor reversed into expansion, with pipe formers. This worked because it was a steel bike. Admittedly, this isn't such a good idea on your frame.