Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Old 09-13-18, 03:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
With this masterpiece it's not a matter of Hot or Not, it's whether it's sizzling hot, piping hot or white hot. Thanks in advance for your kind words.
I'd go with piping hot... poo.
Old 09-13-18, 03:56 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
facepalm.jpg
Old 09-13-18, 04:01 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Unfortunately the part didn't arrive, but I'll go ahead and break through the suspense and give you what we have right now.

The camera is a Nikon D3200 DSLR using a Nikkoe18-55 lens in the auto setting. I have found the auto setting really sets the bike off while deemphasizing the garage door.

I present to you the world's first, and category defining, carbon fiber performance cruiser. The lovely lady Laurie enjoys a leisurely pedal from time to time. She finds the cruiser configuration most comfortable but scoffs at the notion that a discerning rider must suffer a 40 pound steel sled to get the ergonomics she deserves. She appreciates a light, stiff, responsive and elegant bike. The Marin Highway One's graceful lines and friendly geometry made the perfect platform for this project.

The drive train features a feathery 36/22 FSA carbon crank supported by a Mega Exo ceramic bottom bracket. A Dura Ace 9 speed chain connects to an Ultegra 11-30 casstte. Gears are switched via a combination of Tiagra, Sora and Microshift components. State-of-the-art 3 bearing Shanmashi pedals are used to set this art in motion. Rims are made by Shimano and highlighted by black straight gauge spokes with red alloy nipples, surrounded by beautiful blue 700x28 Panaracer Ribmo rubber. Stopping power is provided by Promax V brakes activated by Avid levers. The cockpit features Origin 8 touring bars and a nifty infinitely adjustable Satori Up One stem. Laurie's delightful little bum is kept cozy compliments of a cushy Bontrager saddle.

With this masterpiece it's not a matter of Hot or Not, it's whether it's sizzling hot, piping hot or white hot. Thanks in advance for your kind words.

Hot! I think handlebar streamers would take it beyond hot.
Old 09-13-18, 04:02 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Hot! I think handlebar streamers would take it beyond hot.
You didn't raid my mailbox did you?
Old 09-13-18, 04:04 PM
FullSpeedAgain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reeses

Is that glue between the rear tyre and the wheel?

To me it'd be hot with the green coloured Sram Red, those red details don't match with the bike.

Old 09-13-18, 04:27 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Unfortunately the part didn't arrive, but I'll go ahead and break through the suspense and give you what we have right now.

The camera is a Nikon D3200 DSLR using a Nikkor 18-55 lens in the auto setting. I have found the auto setting really sets the bike off while deemphasizing the garage door.

I present to you the world's first, and category defining, carbon fiber performance cruiser. The lovely lady Laurie enjoys a leisurely pedal from time to time. She finds the cruiser configuration most comfortable but scoffs at the notion that a discerning rider must suffer a 40 pound steel sled to get the ergonomics she deserves. She appreciates a light, stiff, responsive and elegant bike. The Marin Highway One's graceful lines and friendly geometry made the perfect platform for this project.

The drive train features a feathery 36/22 FSA carbon crank supported by a Mega Exo ceramic bottom bracket. A Dura Ace 9 speed chain connects to an Ultegra 11-30 casstte. Gears are switched via a combination of Tiagra, Sora and Microshift components. State-of-the-art 3 bearing Shanmashi pedals are used to set this art in motion. Rims are made by Shimano and highlighted by black straight gauge spokes with red alloy nipples, surrounded by beautiful blue 700x28 Panaracer Ribmo rubber. Stopping power is provided by Promax V brakes activated by Avid levers. The cockpit features Origin 8 touring bars and a nifty infinitely adjustable Satori Up One stem. Laurie's delightful little bum is kept cozy compliments of a cushy Bontrager saddle.

match that rear derailleur housing and you're good.
Old 09-13-18, 04:38 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullSpeedAgain
Is that glue between the rear tyre and the wheel?
Yep, I read somewhere that using acetone to dissolve the excess glue might lead to unbonding the glue on the edge of the tire so I haven’t cleaned it up yet
Old 09-13-18, 06:39 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Time to put your big boy pants on and learn how to use aperture, shutter and full manual modes.
Old 09-13-18, 06:41 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

cut the top tube and hot.
Old 09-13-18, 06:51 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Time to put your big boy pants on and learn how to use aperture, shutter and full manual modes.
Between these gems and advising the guy with the film camera to fix his white balance, you're full of great advice. Kudos.
Old 09-13-18, 06:54 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Don't ask questions, just cut it.
Old 09-13-18, 07:05 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Understood. It's only a request, and it's up to you (all inclusive) to follow the rules set forth by you (all inclusive yet again), because I'm certain everyone that has posted, has read the very first post, and are following said rules.
Of course, should "they" choose to follow the rules, this thread would be the correct one to actually critique a bike posted.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ot-thread.html
Old 09-13-18, 07:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

steerer?
Old 09-13-18, 07:37 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Of course, should "they" choose to follow the rules, this thread would be the correct one to actually critique a bike posted.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ot-thread.html
Several times I've asked for the threads to be condensed.

Hot or Not, with no other comment/explanation, is just too difficult for most to observe.
Old 09-13-18, 07:42 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
steerer?

Originally Posted by seau grateau
don't ask questions, just cut it.
Old 09-13-18, 08:41 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Look I could call any chinese carbon made frame chinese cookie cutter crap and I wouldn't be wrong and, but it would just be my honest opinion. I could call any steel lugged frame a boat anchor, and I could call a colnago frame for what it is, a steel boat anchor that's nicely crafted, but doesn't measure up to a nicely crafted Ti frame that is much lighter.
You would be wrong to call any half-decent carbon frame 'cookie cutter crap' - although they come out of a mould, there are hours of painstaking work that go into laying them up, not to mention a far greater design input than pretty much any metal frame.

And as for performance, give me a break. Metal can't come close to the strength to weight of carbon, not to mention what can be achieved with its anisotropic properties. Dribble on about its failure mode all you like, but the fact is that carbon is both stronger and lighter, meaning it doesn't cost much weight to have a high safety margin, and it doesn't fatigue, so any carbon part is almost certainly less likely to fail in the first place unless it's built crazy light.

On any serious bike designed to modern standards, metal is just for parts like bearings, the drivetrain and fasteners (and maybe one or two components like stems, which need to be equally strong in every direction). Anyone who denies that is living in the past.

Ti has some great properties, and is brilliant for stuff like surgical implants or tricky bits like Bastion's 3D-printed lugs, but its days as an ultimate frame material are over - and it never really got there anyway, since the problem of butting tubes was never solved.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-14-18 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 02:51 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Excuse me can you please tell me what brand and model that bike is the letters are not big enough. Has too much drop and put more spacers up front Sir.
Old 09-14-18, 03:34 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FullSpeedAgain

To me it'd be hot with the green coloured Sram Red, those red details don't match with the bike.
I'll take counterpoint. The red spots are just the thing to make this bike hot, but I admit that's largely a matter of association for me. It seems like everyone I've ever known to ride those C'dales has been very serious; it's a bike I associate with self-consciously tough, strong riders, unsmiling and often scowling. The little bits of flair are like a wink. I like 'em - definitely better looking than homely ol' Shimano stuff.

Very nice photo, by the way.
Old 09-14-18, 06:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
Man. I so want to post the new bike here, but:
1) It's a tall bike (not hot)
2) It has too many spacers on top of the stem (not hot)
3) It still has a spacer under the stem (not hot)
4) It's a really tall bike (really not hot)
5) Ugly R8000 cranks
6) No carbon wheels

How am I doing for a 63cm bike?
Post it up!

I completely disagree that spacers make a bike ugly. Carbon rims are...meh. They are nice looking up to maybe 35mm, then they just look like the rider is trying too hard. As for 8000 cranks...yeah those arent my favorite, but there are very few cranks these days that do look good and some posters do like the bulbous 4 arm crank look.
Old 09-14-18, 06:54 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Post it up!

I completely disagree that spacers make a bike ugly. Carbon rims are...meh. They are nice looking up to maybe 35mm, then they just look like the rider is trying too hard. As for 8000 cranks...yeah those arent my favorite, but there are very few cranks these days that do look good and some posters do like the bulbous 4 arm crank look.
once it get a fit and the steerer tube (top tube!) cut.
Old 09-14-18, 07:56 AM
Brotisimo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My goodness how close this is to being a 5 star! I think it's awesome! My only gripe is the blue rubber. I personally don't dig on anything other than black or skinwall, but can at least appreciate this more than a red or yellow tire. Overall, still a hot for me. Happy Riding!
Old 09-14-18, 07:58 AM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
steerer?
lol oops yes steerer. No I want to see it look like the broken Ti bike: not
Old 09-14-18, 08:11 AM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Between these gems and advising the guy with the film camera to fix his white balance, you're full of great advice. Kudos.
It doesn't matter if the camera was a film camera, the image still would have had to been scanned in as a jpeg for it to be shown here. And photoshop can take any jepg and you can edit it as a smart object and then use full raw editing sliders on it so you can adjust exposure, white balance, clarity, saturation: the whole nine yards.
Old 09-14-18, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

It doesn't matter if the camera was a film camera, the image still would have had to been scanned in as a jpeg for it to be shown here. And photoshop can take any jepg and you can edit it as a smart object and then use full raw editing sliders on it so you can adjust exposure, white balance, clarity, saturation: the whole nine yards.
Mixed lighting with ambient light and on-camera flash (both different color temps) and likely scanned from an older photo (colors fade at different rates) rather than a negative - not only are you starting off on the wrong foot, but you wouldn't get anywhere near RAW-like adjustment latitude. Look at the drywall background - the WB isn't far off. You couldn't "fix the WB" and have the bike and background look even remotely natural. You could certainly tinker with individual color channels, but "fix the WB"? Yeah, sure.
Old 09-14-18, 09:12 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Brotisimo
My goodness how close this is to being a 5 star! I think it's awesome! My only gripe is the blue rubber. I personally don't dig on anything other than black or skinwall, but can at least appreciate this more than a red or yellow tire. Overall, still a hot for me. Happy Riding!
How dare you. Oh well, there are people who will criticize the Mona Lisa too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.