Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Experience with Mavic Open Pro UST and Hutchinson Tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 12:44 PM
tbdean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm having a wheel set built with Mavic Open Pro UST rims. I've seen some reports that the Mavic UST tire, the Yksion, doesn't have great longevity. I know the actual tire is made by Hutchinson so can I use any of the Hutchinson tires? Will they fit just as well?

My goal is flat resistance and easy road side repair over very long distances. If I go to Hutchinson's website and filter by 'Road Tubeless' and then 'Long Distance' it says I should get the Hutchinson Sector, which has great reviews. But Mavic says only Mavic branded tires are designed with their tight tolerances that make mounting easy.

Does anyone here have experience with this rim and tire?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-19, 08:15 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Mavic Comete wheels and I use Yksion tires. I haven't noticed any longevity issues.

I have used Hutchinson Sector, both 28 and 32. I had them burp sealant a few times and I needed to use C02 carts to blow them onto the rims. I vaguely remember walking home from work once because I couldn't get the rear tire to seat.

As opposed to the Yksions that basically leap onto the wheels and never need fussing.
Old 01-07-19, 07:48 PM
tbdean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks pdoege, I'll order the Yksions!
Old 01-09-19, 11:18 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been riding Comete UST wheels for a year now. My first two sets of Yksion tires only lasted about 2000 and 1500 miles respectively. When these tires were at their final stages, I could count 30-40 wet spots in the tires from holes where the sealant was doing its job. It was like riding on swiss cheese and didn't inspire confidence even if the tires were holding pressure during the rides.

I tried a set of Schwalbe pro 1's but could not get them to mount: At least not without worrying about getting them fixed on the side of the road if I needed to stick a tube in them after a really bad flat where the sealant didn't hold. I am sure I could have gotten them on with enough leverage if I really tried. I unfortunately have not tried the Hutchenson tires you are asking about.

Right now I am riding with tubed gp4000 IIs. I have just put sealant in the tubes and have had zero issues at the 3500 mile mark with no signs of these wearing out. I fully expect to get 5000 miles on these as was the case for me when I used the GP4000s on other wheels. They also cost me $30 a tire instead of the $80 I was getting the Yksions for. This makes the Yksions about 7.5 times more expensive than the gp4000's on a per mile of usage cost.

Not to say the Yksions are a bad tire. If I were to race a crit where if I flated, I was out of the race, I would have a brand new set of these with sealant in them every time. However for the day to day training tire for the everyday average cycling enthusiast, I don't think they are worth it at this point. I am still waiting for that UST tubeless option for a do all tire, at a cheap cost, like I could currently can get in the GP4000s, but I don't know of anything.

Last edited by jitteringjr; 01-09-19 at 11:22 AM.