Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist shot in South Carolina

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist shot in South Carolina

Old 05-16-21, 02:28 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
It is not always possible to find a reason for a shooting. I suspect it was personal.

I can see why someone would Say things like:
Unfit, poorly educated, middle-aged white males comprise the overwhelming majority of those who rage against cyclists.
Out of the dozens of times in my life that someone has honked, yelled, swerved and flung objects at me while I was bicycling. Most of them have been white. Most of the males in this country are white and I have lived in predominantly white neighborhoods. This shooting is a very terrible thing to happen. The best way to deal with an event like this is to avoid the confrontation all together, if posable. If the individual harassing you is a stalker. It usually only ends with the stalker in jail or one of you dead.
Old 05-16-21, 04:16 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Depressing this is the state of our culture. Disagreements over driving, cycling, walking turns into murder..
Very well put.
Likes For Chistophe516:
Old 05-18-21, 08:22 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Many years ago I was riding my motorcycle with wife on back heading out for a nice cruise when suddenly this a hole in a car tried to hit us for no apparent reason. Maybe somebody that looked like us pissed him off earlier? Anyway he had his wife and kids in the car with him, wife was beating on his arm apparently telling him to quit. My only option at that point was to outrun him. We were on the freeway.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 05-18-21, 08:42 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
There are two kinds of people in the world: 1) People who like people, and have pleasant encounters with random people with whom they cross paths, without regard for the time they spend, and 2) People who detest the presence of others, who resent every second someone, or anyone, who causes a 15 second delay in their quest to reach a destination. I think it's caused by a virus or a hormone or something.
Several days ago I was driving past a school zone where the speed limit was 20mph. I drive slowly, seldom above the speed limit. I noticed an auto crowding the rear bumper. As I slowed to the school zone speed limit, the auto following too closely deceided they had enough of the speed limit and zoomed out to pass, on the right, while in front of the school. A few hundred yards past the school zone is a medical complex and the car turned in. They saved 5 seconds in a risky maneuver. This is a good example of poor impulse control and or stupidity due to a rapid loss of IQ points.
Old 05-18-21, 10:17 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
It is not always possible to find a reason for a shooting. I suspect it was personal.

I can see why someone would Say things like:

Out of the dozens of times in my life that someone has honked, yelled, swerved and flung objects at me while I was bicycling. Most of them have been white. Most of the males in this country are white and I have lived in predominantly white neighborhoods. This shooting is a very terrible thing to happen. The best way to deal with an event like this is to avoid the confrontation all together, if posable. If the individual harassing you is a stalker. It usually only ends with the stalker in jail or one of you dead.

That's racist, but apparently not sexist.
Old 05-18-21, 06:49 PM
Rick

I simply stated a social fact and layed out the reasons for it. I imagine if you pedaled in an area predominantly occupied by dark skinned people, you would have more people of color acting out.
Old 05-18-21, 07:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I simply stated a social fact and layed out the reasons for it. I imagine if you pedaled in an area predominantly occupied by dark skinned people, you would have more people of color acting out.
Nope. I have a regular ride that goes through the heart of NOLA. I can recall exactly 2 black ragers. Middle-aged, white, out of shape, poorly educated males comprise the overwhelming majority of ragers. On various forms of social media, that same demographic espouses most of the unhealthy attitudes, and when I read of accounts of rage most of the offenders fit that demographic.
Old 05-18-21, 11:54 PM
Rick

Nope. I have a regular ride that goes through the heart of NOLA. I can recall exactly 2 black ragers. Middle-aged, white, out of shape, poorly educated males comprise the overwhelming majority of ragers. On various forms of social media, that same demographic espouses most of the unhealthy attitudes, and when I read of accounts of rage most of the offenders fit that demographic.
Again most of the humans in the USA are caucasian. This and the infrastructure being designed around motor vehicle sales instead of human rights is why we see more white road rage against bicyclists.

Incorrect: Its intelligence
Old 05-19-21, 05:48 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Again most of the humans in the USA are caucasian. This and the infrastructure being designed around motor vehicle sales instead of human rights is why we see more white MIDDLE-AGED, OUT OF SHAPE, POORLY EDUCATED MALE road rage against bicyclists.

Incorrect: Its intelligence
There, I completed the picture.
Old 05-19-21, 08:13 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
People, please, this was NOT a case of road rage against a cyclist, by whatever race/education level/fitness level/etc. perpetrator you insist on pigeon-holing them into.
This was an attack by a mentally unstable person, with a history of harassing cyclists and pedestrians in the area for no apparent reason whatsoever.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-19-21, 01:00 PM
Rick

This was an attack by a mentally unstable person, with a history of harassing cyclists and pedestrians in the area for no apparent reason whatsoever.
There is a reason for this. Stalking is allowed and has a predictable outcome. This murderer will probably be out of prison at some point and do it again.

There, I completed the picture.
You on the other hand are a megalo maniac with stocking tendencies or a troll for short.
Old 05-19-21, 01:56 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
This murderer will probably be out of prison at some point and do it again.
Doubtful. He was shot and killed by police when he drew his gun on them.
Old 05-19-21, 10:24 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Several days ago I was driving past a school zone where the speed limit was 20mph. I drive slowly, seldom above the speed limit. I noticed an auto crowding the rear bumper. As I slowed to the school zone speed limit, the auto following too closely deceided they had enough of the speed limit and zoomed out to pass, on the right, while in front of the school. A few hundred yards past the school zone is a medical complex and the car turned in. They saved 5 seconds in a risky maneuver. This is a good example of poor impulse control and or stupidity due to a rapid loss of IQ points.
Yep, this nonsense is unacceptable.

I am always wondering where people are going that they are in this much of a hurry.

More often though it's everybody driving like they are driving a walker that I think at least in certain instances makes people behave this way. And not moving at a green light. I call that delayed acceleration syndrome. Constant around here. Count to five and then they usually go, and this is after all the traffic in other directions is clearly stopped.

Another classic stopping way behind the car in front of you at a red light, blocking people's ability to either get in a right turn, or left turn lane. Especially if the light for that lane is green. And it's usually more than one person at a light that does this.

And the classic turning out of lane. People don't understand that unless the right turn lane is marked in a way that you can't make a left, guess what? You can make a left while in the right lane. A woman almost veered into my lane at a red light last week when the light changed. Would have hit me if I didn't honk. There is another light that's really bad for this at a major intersection just up from this light.

I can continue to type. With how poorly roads, and traffic lights can be set up although not advocating it I can understand why people get frustrated. (Overbuilt American Suburbia, hey, let's overbuild it some more) and nothing to encourage less driving when feasible.
Not that that would stop the Yuppies in their Euro Mobiles around here....
​​​​​​​
Old 05-20-21, 08:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

There is a reason for this. Stalking is allowed and has a predictable outcome. This murderer will probably be out of prison at some point and do it again.

You on the other hand are a megalo maniac with stocking tendencies or a troll for short.
I don't appreciate that. It's been years since I worked in retail. I don't stock anymore.

If you want to call me a megalomaniac, I'll accept that, but only if it's spelled correctly. I'd rather be called an inveterate narcissist though. In my two decades of participation in internet forums, that one was my favorite.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-23-21, 02:53 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I can't fathom what would compel someone (presumably in their right mind) to resort to this level of violence to "settle" some argument that was probably trivial to start with. Mr. Oliver was on the phone to the dispatcher so there was no immediate threat to Mr. Murray. What a mess.

Condolences to Mr. Oliver's family.
The article made my jaw drop. Mr. Murray definitely seemed like someone who was nothing but a big bully. RIP to Mr. Oliver.
Old 05-25-21, 03:06 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Many years ago I was riding my motorcycle with wife on back heading out for a nice cruise when suddenly this a hole in a car tried to hit us for no apparent reason. Maybe somebody that looked like us pissed him off earlier? Anyway he had his wife and kids in the car with him, wife was beating on his arm apparently telling him to quit. My only option at that point was to outrun him. We were on the freeway.
You only needed one hand on the throttle and your wife had both hands free, that's three guns that could have been fired at that driver.
A missed opportunity right there.
Old 05-25-21, 08:01 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
You only needed one hand on the throttle and your wife had both hands free, that's three guns that could have been fired at that driver.
A missed opportunity right there.
Hah, true but that would have been too much paperwork later. Besides, she was busy hanging on with both hands, and I was busy accelerating away.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 05-25-21, 11:58 AM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This is classist behavior, which is more pervasive and worse than racism.
Likes For J Palmer Cass:
Old 05-25-21, 04:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
Be that as it may, it is true based on my observations.
Old 05-26-21, 05:08 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
How much racism have you experienced that gives you a frame of reference?.... were you a black person growing up in apartheid south africa? ...a jew in 1939 Berlin? ...a democrat voter in Georgia during the last presidential election?
Old 05-26-21, 08:56 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
How much racism have you experienced that gives you a frame of reference?.... were you a black person growing up in apartheid south africa? ...a jew in 1939 Berlin? ...a democrat voter in Georgia during the last presidential election?
.... or a Trump supporter on BF's extinguished P&R thread
Old 05-26-21, 09:04 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
well said > those least able to ride bikes seem to take their self hate anyplace where they can air their imagined grievances........... I have ridden NOLA many times > from Marigny to all parts of the city and beyond... NOLA is friendlier and bike safer than Austin, Houston, San Antone
Old 05-26-21, 09:46 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
The only defense against crazy is getting as far away as fast as you can.
Old 05-28-21, 11:51 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
It happens that the children who best show impulse control are from higher socio/economic households.
Otoh... the most undisciplined, unruly and downright disruptive group of 5 year olds my wife ever taught dance to came from the wealthiest enclave in our city.

Furthermore, these children go on to have better outcomes later in life. .
from higher socio/economic households
Ya figger? lol...

Last edited by tungsten; 05-29-21 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-29-21, 01:17 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The killer probably wasnt spanked when he was a kid.
With some people regrettably disconnected from reality it can be difficult to tell when they are making an ironic comment or making a neurotic observation that they mistakenly perceive to represent reality. After all, long term psychosis does not necessarily rob one entirely of perceptions of humor. Also, of course, is the possibility that the subject is just an ordinary garden variety wanker.