Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First timer trying a Peugot > Fixie refurbish needs advice & is it a Course PB12?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First timer trying a Peugot > Fixie refurbish needs advice & is it a Course PB12?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 04:57 AM
Virtual_Swayy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm super new to all things bicycle, except riding them. I'm down here in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and I decided to rebuild a bike after I got hooked on bike tinkering recently. My only previous experience is over the past few weeks, I started my first self-upgrade attempts on my mountain bike. I mostly successfully did a 1x11 conversion of my 2011 rockhopper, with new stem, handlebars, hydraulic brakes. That project led me to decide bikes are super fun for more than just riding, so I went looking for an old horizontal drop-out frame to learn more by making my first fixie as a new project. Luckily, the first day I looked I found this Peugeot Frame for five bucks! I got everything off OK except the quill stem, and I've already sent it to get sandblasted (with the stem still on, but he is a bike guy so he is going to try getting it off also). Assuming it sandblasts down pretty well, I'm going to powder-bake it (color TBD), and start building myself a fixie. The bike's in pretty bad shape rust-wise and only the frame/fork/stem/brakes are original, so to me it seems beyond "restoration" in the sense of making it original, but I think it'll make a fine fixie aa a first bike build with some new replacement parts. I was planning on getting a quill to 1 1/8' adapter if I can get the quill stem out. If not, the original stem doesn't seem that bad at all as far as condition so I'll just leave it in there. I'm still planning it out so I have a few questions for you guys if you have time to help out a newbie. I've read a lot of other people's posts here before posting this, so I know that tons of you are already deeply knowledgeable about this stuff. I'd additionally be glad for any unsolicited advice you guys think might help me, since I am not even sure I know enough yet be asking the right questions.

Here are some pictures of it. I'm curious about a few things, such as:

1) What model is my Peugeot? My working thoery is a 1982 Course PB12 (Canada), based on the similarities I see to the blog post link given below.
2) Do you guys think I'm right that this rusty frame will still be fine for a fixie after sandblasting all that rust off?
3) Even though the original brakes look pretty cool, and I'm considering using them, I was also thinking about doing at least a front disc brake, because I'd like to learn how to put those on old frames. If that seems doable, can anyone recommend the product(s) I would need to use to mount disc brakes on an pre-disc brake era frame?
4) I think my biggest cost will be new wheels. Any recommendations for decent cheap ones? I was thinking these looked inexpensive/decent, thoughts? I Can't post link but amazon listing is "DYRABREST 700C Fixed Gear 5-Spoke Mag Wheel Set Fixie Fixed Gear Single Speed White Front Rear Bicycle Wheels Rims Set (White)" for $119
5) Those rims take up to 2.35" tires, but I'm doubtful the frame will take tires that fat. Anyone happen to know how fat a 700c can go on a frame like this? Or maybe ballpark the width where it enters the "not sure" range, and leaves the "oh, that is for sure skinny enough" zone?
6) A front disc brake only set up... is that ok for a fixie? Since the drivetrain stops the rear wheel?

Any of those questions you guys can weigh in on, or any other wise words you think I might want to ponder would be a huge help in my first foray into this.

Thanks so much in advance!

LINK TO PICS OF MY FRAME:
It won't let me post a link since this is my first post. But... the link is disguised in three parts below. Sound out part 1 and type it in. Then add parts two and three, connected up so the ".c" and the "om" make .the dot-com part in the middle and you should get to my bike pics.
Part 1) Sound it out, then type the letters/symbols
H-tee-tee-pee-ess-colon
Part 2) add this after the colon above
//imgur.c
Part 3)add this after the c above
om/a/7m7485C

LINK TO BLOG POST FOR COURSE PB12
Part 1) Sound it out, then type the letters/symbols
H-tee-tee-pee-ess-colon
Part 2) add this after the colon above
//peugeotcoursepb12.wordpress.c
Part 3)add this after the c above
om/category/peugeot-classification/

Last edited by Virtual_Swayy; 07-25-21 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 08:49 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a disc brake. Either way, you'll need to make that decision before refinishing. The modification will be costly.

Frankly, I'd build it up and ride it a bit before investing in a refinish. You'd be able to move most components to a different frame if you decide you don't like it or it doesn't fit just right.

While I've ridden some of my fixed-gear bikes with only a front brake, I prefer to have two. It gives better symmetry and, for a bike with drop bars, the brake hood position for both hands.

I'd go with a classic looking rim like the Sun CR18 in 700c. That'll look better and take a tire in the 28-35 mm range or so. Pre-built wheels with nice high flange cartridge bearing hubs are available at decent costs.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 07-26-21, 11:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Virtual_Swayy
Even though the original brakes look pretty cool, and I'm considering using them, I was also thinking about doing at least a front disc brake, because I'd like to learn how to put those on old frames. If that seems doable, can anyone recommend the product(s) I would need to use to mount disc brakes on an pre-disc brake era frame?
In general, it's risky putting disc brakes on a frame/fork not designed to handle disc brake loads (e.g.: https://www.bikeforums.net/22141838-post2.html). If you're willing to replace the fork with one designed to handle a disc brake, that would work. But stick with the current brake on the rear.
Old 07-26-21, 11:38 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Virtual Swayy -

It's not a Canadian built PB 12 Course because it lacks the Tange fork they have. The fork is the French style one instead. As well, the frame has stamped dropouts from what I can see, not the forged Simplex of the PB 12. It's likely a Super Sport or similar frameset also built with Peugeot Hi-tensile plain gauge tubes and forks. Definitely not suitable for disc brake conversion.
Old 07-26-21, 11:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You can post pics of your bike by creating an album on your profile. Someone will post the pics to this thread.

Agree with the others that I'd sink as little money as possible into this project to begin with. Caliper brakes work fine; just buy some quality brake shoes like kool stops and use new cables and cable housing.

If the paint needs that much work, it might not be the best choice. There is a lot of inventory out there when it comes to old bikes.

Also if you want to run fat tires, this may not be your best choices. The Peugeots that came stock with 27 inch wheels and center pull brakes have more tire clearance particularly when you run 700c wheels. The PBN series were a kind of a race bike with 700c wheels so my guess is that the clearance will be less.

This is the catalog page for the 1982 PBN 10

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broch...hure_PBN10.jpg
Old 07-26-21, 11:48 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Five bucks is pretty good if there's no holes under all that rust. But chemicals might have been better than sandblasting

Link help https://imgur.com/a/7m7485C
Genesis 49:16-17