Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Shimano Tiagra front trigger shifter jammed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 05:13 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have a Shimano tiagra 10-speed mountain bike shifter set. The front trigger shifter seems to be jammed in that it will only move one click from the high position. Actually eating the smaller trigger does not result in the dial moving. Even with the cable disconnected the shifter won't seem to drop down. any ideas?

Last edited by Skankingbiker; 08-05-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 05:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
First thing I would do is to correct the subject line to what equipment you really have.

Were the parts bought at a shop? (Of course not but have to ask) If so then they are your first fall back. Shimano has a warranty and will back their bad parts if a receipt and it's within the warranty period. When the install is done at home it complicates things as it will be easy to suggest you did something wrong. This is when it's good to have that relationship with your LBS. They can access the shifter and act as your agent for possible warranty.

Every so often (rarely though) we see a bad shifter right out of the box. Maybe once a year or two, out of many many dozens of new units we see every year. One possibility is that the cable end isn't seated in the shifter spool. If the head isn't seated it can snag on the body's interior. Andy
Old 08-05-18, 05:41 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It's a tiagra 10 speed shift set and the front shifter is the problem. It was working fine until I needed to cut down some of the shift housing. The shift set came as part of a bike I purchased online and needed to assemble myself. I am looking for some suggestions as to what may be wrong with it and if there is any way to fix it. literally the only thing I did was to disconnect the cable from the front derailleur trim some of the housing and then reconnected the cable to the frontier elier
Old 08-05-18, 05:54 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

Were the parts bought at a shop? (Of course not but have to ask) If so then they are your first fall back. Shimano has a warranty and will back their bad parts if a receipt and it's within the warranty period. When the install is done at home it complicates things as it will be easy to suggest you did something wrong. This is when it's good to have that relationship with your LBS.
I didn't I didn't ask for the snark sarcasm and proselytizing. the shifter set was part of a recumbent bicycle I purchased online. I went to several local bike shops and they did not have anything that fit me or that I wanted. I am not capable of riding a regular bike that I could purchase from an lbs right now due to a severe back injury. I'm trying to make the best of my current condition to keep riding. I've been wrenching on my own bikes for 15 years and have purchased several bikes from local bike shops and buy most of my parts from a local bike shop that I have a good relationship with. sometimes local bike shops don't have what a customer needs. so if you have some suggestions as to how to remedy my problem I would appreciate it, if not I don't need the attitude
Old 08-05-18, 06:00 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Make sure that both the shifter and the derailleur are in the low gear position before connecting the shift wire to the derailleur. Downshift the shifter repeatedly while tugging on the cable to endure it has payed out all of the cable, then attach it to the derailleur.
Old 08-05-18, 06:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
I didn't I didn't ask for the snark sarcasm and proselytizing. the shifter set was part of a recumbent bicycle I purchased online. I went to several local bike shops and they did not have anything that fit me or that I wanted. I am not capable of riding a regular bike that I could purchase from an lbs right now due to a severe back injury. I'm trying to make the best of my current condition to keep riding. I've been wrenching on my own bikes for 15 years and have purchased several bikes from local bike shops and buy most of my parts from a local bike shop that I have a good relationship with. sometimes local bike shops don't have what a customer needs. so if you have some suggestions as to how to remedy my problem I would appreciate it, if not I don't need the attitude
The quote related to this answer was incomplete as was the information in the original question. The original question did not mention that the bike is a recumbent, important information. neither does it say that the bike was purchased online because there was no local alternative. Given that lack of detail about the bike in the original question, "snark sarcasm" is not an accurate way to describe the answer you received, not even close
Old 08-05-18, 07:03 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I didn't I didn't ask for the snark sarcasm and proselytizing.
Andy was quite right when he asked if you could state what you really have. Tiagra is a road group, not an MTB group and does not use "trigger shifters". So immediately we were all puzzled about what you were really describing. Also, the fact the installation was on a recumbent was not stated at first and might have helped our understanding. Finally "Actually eating the smaller trigger" was a bit disconcerting as well.
Old 08-05-18, 07:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-6UR0A-001-ENG.pdf

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-SL0001-09-ENG.pdf
Old 08-05-18, 08:48 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HillRider
Andy was quite right when he asked if you could state what you really have. Tiagra is a road group, not an MTB group and does not use "trigger shifters". So immediately we were all puzzled about what you were really describing. Also, the fact the installation was on a recumbent was not stated at first and might have helped our understanding. Finally "Actually eating the smaller trigger" was a bit disconcerting as well.
WTF are you talking about? Tiagra is indeed a groupset for mountain trigger shifters 2x10

Last edited by Skankingbiker; 08-05-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 08:49 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
the fact the installation was on a recumbent was not stated at first and might have helped our understanding. .
What the hell difference does that make. My question was about a mechanical issue with a shifter that had been disconnected. It doesn't matter one hill of beans what type of bike it is.
Old 08-05-18, 08:52 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The original question did not mention that the bike is a recumbent, important information.
Irrelevant. My question was about a mechanical issue with a component. A component that I stated was disconnected. Totally irrelevant what type of bike it was included on.

neither does it say that the bike was purchased online because there was no local alternative.
Again, completely irrelevant. Where I purchased the bike and under what circumstances has zilch to do with diagnosing the mechanical issue I queried.

Given that lack of detail about the bike in the original question, "snark sarcasm" is not an accurate way to describe the answer you received, not even close
The bike has nothing to do with it. It was a pure mechanical inquiry about a component. I did not ask for a sermon about the benefit of purchasing a bike from a local retailer. I wanted to know how to fix it. Even if I HAD purchased it from a local retailer, completely irrelevant. I would not want to take it back. I want info on how to diagnose and solve the problem myself.
Old 08-05-18, 08:55 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Make sure that both the shifter and the derailleur are in the low gear position before connecting the shift wire to the derailleur. Downshift the shifter repeatedly while tugging on the cable to endure it has payed out all of the cable, then attach it to the derailleur.
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ. Andrew Dice Clay must be in the house, because this is ****ing unbelievable. An answer that actually responds to my question, does not contain self-righteous, sanctimonious judgmental bull****, and, moreover, that actually solved the problem!!!! Stop the presses! Read all about it! Poster answers question without attitude.

Thank you sir.
Old 08-05-18, 09:01 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ. Andrew Dice Clay must be in the house, because this is ****ing unbelievable. An answer that actually responds to my question, does not contain self-righteous, sanctimonious judgmental bull****, and, moreover, that actually solved the problem!!!! Stop the presses! Read all about it! Poster answers question without attitude.

Thank you sir.
Glad to hear it. Now you can go back to your bong in peace.
Old 08-05-18, 09:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I am done here. Fix it yourself
Old 08-05-18, 09:04 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I am done here. Fix it yourself
I did with the help of a poster who actually responded to my question.
Old 08-05-18, 09:05 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Glad to hear it. Now you can go back to your bong in peace.
??? Why would you assume I am a dope smoking hippie?
Old 08-05-18, 09:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Before you go lashing out against people on the forum, please keep in mind that they are taking their time to offer to help you, a stranger, out of a bind and asking nothing for it.
Old 08-05-18, 09:14 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Before you go lashing out against people on the forum, please keep in mind that they are taking their time to offer to help you, a stranger, out of a bind and asking nothing for it.
Well, I thank you for your assistance kind sir. The remainder of the posters did nothing but insult me and make irrelevant judgment and assumptions about my purchasing habits. I simply do not understand why it matters where I bought the component/what bike it was included upon/ or why I chose to purchase a bike online. I also do not understand why multiple posters insisted that Shimano does not make a tiagra trigger shifter.

The cable was jammed in the mechanism and your response helped me un-jam it.

Again, thank you for your response.
Old 08-05-18, 09:27 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
??? Why would you assume I am a dope smoking hippie?
It couldn't possibly your emotional over-reaction, could it?
Old 08-05-18, 09:33 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
It couldn't possibly your emotional over-reaction, could it?
Funny, because most dope smokers I know are laid back chill dudes. .... As to any "over-reaction", I don't take kindly to having my purchasing habits insulted and well as my knowledge about bike components ridiculed. Or, having 2/3 of the responses constitute insults and irrelevant judgmental questions.

Shimano does indeed make trigger shifters under the tiagra line, as I demonstrated above.
Old 08-05-18, 10:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
WTF are you talking about? Tiagra is indeed a groupset for mountain trigger shifters 2x10
No, those are flat bar road shifters not mountain group shifters.Tiagra is a road group.
Old 08-05-18, 10:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Well, I thank you for your assistance kind sir. The remainder of the posters did nothing but insult me and make irrelevant judgment and assumptions about my purchasing habits. I simply do not understand why it matters where I bought the component/what bike it was included upon/ or why I chose to purchase a bike online. I also do not understand why multiple posters insisted that Shimano does not make a tiagra trigger shifter.

The cable was jammed in the mechanism and your response helped me un-jam it.

Again, thank you for your response.
Being the charged person (accused of snarkiness) I figure I'm the one with the greatest skin in this thread. So let me reply.

I thank those who understood where I was posting from. The lack of info, conflicting info in the beginning was frustrating for me. I am a service pro. I take pride in being able to help riders with their problems and service needs. But I also have seen many who post here lack the ability to understand that there's more to the story then the minimal info often initially offered. In this case the recumbent aspect wasn't a big deal but the flat bar shifters are not the typical Tiagra shifter we see and talk about. Yet even still we find that the less common shifter arrangement (regardless of subject/post agreement) wasn't really an issue too.

If I read the OP correctly my suggestion of the cable not seated in the lever is the correct problem. So the first reply to the OP, the snarkily done one by me turns out to also be the one that gave the right advice. Your welcome.

What can others take away here? There's a lot of good info and advice out here and able to be asked for. This advice is only best when complete and not misleading initial data is given. That when a question is asked in a manor that is confusing (as in naming incorrect parts at play), lacking in detail the OP can expect to be taken to task. This isn't the president tweeting and ,making up his own world. This is real life. If you choose to be involved then you owe it to those who you seek help from to provide relevant data and when not given to be told so. Anything else is mere lip service. People pay big bucks to consultants and professionals to get this help. Why in the bike business do people feel that service should be free and forth coming regardless of the person asking's attitude. Had I not replied so quickly and instead read the resulting posts I would have likely passed on this one. Andy
Old 08-05-18, 10:15 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Funny, because most dope smokers I know are laid back chill dudes. .... As to any "over-reaction", I don't take kindly to having my purchasing habits insulted and well as my knowledge about bike components ridiculed. Or, having 2/3 of the responses constitute insults and irrelevant judgmental questions.

Shimano does indeed make trigger shifters under the tiagra line, as I demonstrated above.
You would have had a better answer if you had called them "flat-bar" shifters. I've used flat-bar and mountain bike shifters interchangeably on my recumbents- for triple cranks they are 100% compatible. For your double crank you need to have that shifter and a "road" front derailleur.

Recumbents can require particular special adaptations to make them work with "standard" bike equipment. (I've been working on recumbents since the early '80's.) You did yourself and the other posters on this thread a disservice by not defining what kind of bike or trike you were working on.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-05-18, 10:17 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Being the charged person (accused of snarkiness) I figure I'm the one with the greatest skin in this thread. So let me reply.

I thank those who understood where I was posting from. The lack of info, conflicting info in the beginning was frustrating for me. I am a service pro. I take pride in being able to help riders with their problems and service needs. But I also have seen many who post here lack the ability to understand that there's more to the story then the minimal info often initially offered. In this case the recumbent aspect wasn't a big deal but the flat bar shifters are not the typical Tiagra shifter we see and talk about. Yet even still we find that the less common shifter arrangement (regardless of subject/post agreement) wasn't really an issue too.

If I read the OP correctly my suggestion of the cable not seated in the lever is the correct problem. So the first reply to the OP, the snarkily done one by me turns out to also be the one that gave the right advice. Your welcome.

What can others take away here? There's a lot of good info and advice out here and able to be asked for. This advice is only best when complete and not misleading initial data is given. That when a question is asked in a manor that is confusing (as in naming incorrect parts at play), lacking in detail the OP can expect to be taken to task. This isn't the president tweeting and ,making up his own world. This is real life. If you choose to be involved then you owe it to those who you seek help from to provide relevant data and when not given to be told so. Anything else is mere lip service. People pay big bucks to consultants and professionals to get this help. Why in the bike business do people feel that service should be free and forth coming regardless of the person asking's attitude. Had I not replied so quickly and instead read the resulting posts I would have likely passed on this one. Andy
That should be "you're".

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-05-18, 10:21 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Mea culpa. I was unaware trigger shifters were made for road bikes. I did not initially provide the information about the shifters being mounted on a recumbent bicycle because any time "recumbent" is mentioned, people usually get told to post in the recumbent forum. I still don't understand why the type of bike or where I got it from was relevant. I simply needed to know hoe to unjam the shifter. I was looking for troubleshooting strategies, not commentary on warranty/replacement policy.

I did not mean to come off "entitled," but your first post was essentially "hey disphit, why didn;t you buy from an LBS? See what happens when morons try to work on their bikes themselves."

I usually get good DIY advice on this forum, as this is the first time the initial response was to insult me. I now learned something about trigger shifters--something I had not encountered before working on my MTBs (all with trigger shifters). That is why I come here, to get good info and to learn. Thats what these forums are for...sharing info and knowledge. [The fix took 30 seconds, and my bike is now up and running. Going to a shop would have probably taken my bike out of commission for 2-3 days and cost me $40. Also, many shops don't want to work on a recumbent. ]

Yes, you were ultimately correct that the cable was not seated properly, but it would have been more helpful if you could have told me how to un-jam it as the other poster did.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I just don't understand why I deserved the attitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.