Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Had a flat going down a steep hill

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 06:17 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

it was a scary moment. Car was behind me going downhill. It slowed but it should have stopped. I had a hard time getting out of the clippless pedals. Because I had a flat my bike kept swerving. Why wouldn’t the car just stop completely? No cars were behind it. It felt dangerous. What should I do going forward?
Old 08-30-18, 06:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
it was a scary moment. Car was behind me going downhill. It slowed but it should have stopped. I had a hard time getting out of the clippless pedals. Because I had a flat my bike kept swerving. Why wouldn’t the car just stop completely? No cars were behind it. It felt dangerous. What should I do going forward?
Platform pedals?
Old 08-30-18, 06:31 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Why do you think the car had any idea what you were doing? He probably thought you were a lunatic swerving all over the road.

I assume you blew your rear or you'd have posted something like "and then I went flying into the ditch"
Old 08-30-18, 06:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Why do you think the car had any idea what you were doing? He probably thought you were a lunatic swerving all over the road.

I assume you blew your rear or you'd have posted something like "and then I went flying into the ditch"
What's the hand signal for I can't take my hands off of the handlebars?
Old 08-30-18, 06:52 PM
DreamRider85

Come on guys
Old 08-30-18, 07:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Come on guys
Seriously, what's the question?

You were in a bad situation you will probably never encounter again, and the thing that made it a bad situation is that you really couldn't do anything but try to control the bike.

I'm at least a little bit serious about the platform pedals, though. Sounds like the clipless were a big part of the problem.
Old 08-30-18, 07:05 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I train myself to instinctively only brake with the tire that still has air still in it.

I think to myself "right=rear" because in a moment of panic I can forget which is the front brake and which is the rear brake. Once I know whether it's a front or rear blowout, I proceed accordingly, and have always made it out alive, which you did too, congrats. I assume you're still alive if you're posting here, right?

Never had a simultaneous blowout on a steep hill, that really must suck.

Regarding the car, there's not a lot you can do.
Old 08-30-18, 07:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I train myself to instinctively only brake with the tire that still has air still in it.

I think to myself "right=rear" because in a moment of panic I can forget which is the front brake and which is the rear brake. Once I know whether it's a front or rear blowout, I proceed accordingly, and have always made it out alive, which you did too, congrats. I assume you're still alive if you're posting here, right?

Never had a simultaneous blowout on a steep hill, that really must suck.

Regarding the car, there's not a lot you can do.
What happens when you brake a flat? I've never had a flat cause me that much trouble stopping.
Old 08-30-18, 07:11 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
it was a scary moment. Car was behind me going downhill. It slowed but it should have stopped. I had a hard time getting out of the clippless pedals. Because I had a flat my bike kept swerving. Why wouldn’t the car just stop completely? No cars were behind it. It felt dangerous.
They don't know any better. I hate it when cars are right on my tail giving them no reaction time in the event of a spill. Especially critical since bikes don't come with indicators to show an immediate reduction in speed.
What should I do going forward?
Give a stop signal. Admittedly hard to do when you're holding on with both hands for dear life.
Old 08-30-18, 07:14 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
In all seriousness, I hit something flat in the road (so hard the bars were *almost* yanked from my hands) and immediately blew out the front tire and it was all I could do to not crash.... thankfully I was going straight. Also thankfully, I had just come off a steep hill and it was relatively flat, so I certainly understand your point, I just don't understand what the car should have done differently. Most car drivers don't understand what delicate, frail things are cyclist are and don't give us the space we probably need.
Old 08-30-18, 07:22 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
You mean you actually practice this scenario?
Old 08-30-18, 07:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Odd...

I don't think I've ever lost control due to a flat. Was it a blowout or a slow leak?

I spent many years riding sewups, and got good at feeling when I was losing pressure. Now I'm mostly on clinchers, but one can feel when the tire starts to bump.

I've heard that one of the issues with clinchers is that the bead can roll or something, but I've always been stopped before that was an issue.

Anyway, what I'd say is that learn to feel when your tire is going flat (those first bump-bump-bumps, and stop when it is still safe to do so.

Plus, more practice unclipping???
Old 08-30-18, 07:26 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
car behind you didn’t stop but also didn’t hit you. That’s good. Were you able to get off the road? Was there a shoulder?
Old 08-30-18, 07:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Give a stop signal. Admittedly hard to do when you're holding on with both hands for dear life.
It might be hard in the OP's situation. I don't use a stop very often, but I have when it wasn't safe to pass on a bridge, and the cars do generally notice it. Then I'll wave them on once it is safe to pass.
Old 08-30-18, 07:40 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by JanMM

car behind you didn’t stop but also didn’t hit you. That’s good. Were you able to get off the road? Was there a shoulder?

no shoulder
Old 08-30-18, 11:29 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Odd...

I don't think I've ever lost control due to a flat. Was it a blowout or a slow leak?

I've heard that one of the issues with clinchers is that the bead can roll or something, but I've always been stopped before that was an issue.

Anyway, what I'd say is that learn to feel when your tire is going flat (those first bump-bump-bumps, and stop when it is still safe to do so.

Plus, more practice unclipping???
Exactly what happened to me, slow leak in front tube. Cloverleaf decent followed by a sharp 90 turn at the bottom. Unfortunately I picked up a shard of glass at the top where hobos like to break bottles, but it was pretty clean that day so bad luck I guess.

The front tube was probably still 50 percent inflated, but at 18 or so mph it just rolled under and I lowsided. Fortunately no traffic, so I just got some road rash and ruined a good jersey, wrecked the helmet and the lenses on the sunglasses.
Old 08-30-18, 11:31 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Convert to tubeless tires
Old 08-31-18, 04:39 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
First, figure out why you had problems getting out of your pedals. They might need adjustment, the cleats might need to be adjusted or replaced, etc. If you are just new to clipless pedals, even more important to check those things - a bike shop can do that for you. That is probably the most important thing of all.

You didn't detail what kind of flat - lots you can do to minimize flats. On a long, steep downhill years ago where I had to ride the rim brakes on my old bike (I weigh 230 lbs), I had a flat because the rims heated up tremendously and the tube area around the valve melted. That taught me about pulsing the brakes to allow some cooling, etc. (It also caused me to go with disc brakes on my new road bike.)

If it was a flat because you hit or ran over something on the downhill, sometimes that is unavoidable, many times it is avoidable if you go slower. I tore my rotator cuff (not because of cycling) and had surgery on it 5 years ago and now I try to minimize the chances of falling at high speeds and going through that again. So, I'm much slower going downhill than I used to be. Around here, potholes and animals running across the downhilll are constants.

I've found most of my flats are actually caused by something I picked up on a tire on the previous ride. After each ride, I check both tires by rotating the wheel one turn and looking/feeling for anything stuck in the tire. If you find anything, let the air out and remove the offender with tweezers or needle nosed pliers and check to see how deep it went - further action may be required.

My new bike is tubeless-ready, I haven't gone that way because I don't get flats that often, but that's another option if your wheels support it.

The part about the car: it sounds like if you could have gotten your feet out of the pedals, you could have stopped on the side and the car would have gone by you. As others said, the driver would have no way of telling you had a flat.

After many years of pooh-poohing a rear view mirror on my bike, I put a bar end mirror on and now am able to always know if a car is behind me and what it is doing. The mirror didn't replace looking backwards, but it has greatly improved my situational awareness (we cybersecurity geeks love that term...) so that when a squirrel or groundhog runs out when I'm going downhill, I know if swerving left is a worse option than swerving right into the ditch...

There are roads I don't bike on because there are downhills with low visibility, no shoulders and high speed/high levels of traffic - if that was the case, avoid that stretch of road. If there is no alternative, Then, all of the above can help make that stretch less dangerous for you - all things you can do, vs. hope the driver behind you does!
Old 08-31-18, 04:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Convert to tubeless tires
Heh. First thing that came to my mind.

That and don't ride down steep hills.
Old 08-31-18, 04:56 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
You mean you actually practice this scenario?
I did until it became reflexive. And yes, a flat clincher can roll off the rim, get caught up in your brakes, lock up the wheel and cause a crash. I thought everyone knew that.

What's with the incredulity? Is there something wrong with wanting to survive a relatively common situation like this? I wonder sometimes if people on this board even ride bikes.
Old 08-31-18, 07:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
...it was a scary moment.
I have had tires suddenly go flat leading to a squirrelly bike on fast downhills...very scary!
Car was behind me going downhill. It slowed but it should have stopped.
Perhaps they wanted to shield you from other approaching vehicles, but didn't give you enough room. I think that if I was driving behind a cyclist and saw them swerving with a flat on a fast downhill, I would try to protect them. But I wasn't there at your incident, so I don't know all the details.
What should I do going forward?
I don't know, but you can gain a little more confidence from knowing that you managed to keep control under difficult circumstances.
Old 08-31-18, 07:46 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I did until it became reflexive. And yes, a flat clincher can roll off the rim, get caught up in your brakes, lock up the wheel and cause a crash. I thought everyone knew that.

What's with the incredulity? Is there something wrong with wanting to survive a relatively common situation like this? I wonder sometimes if people on this board even ride bikes.
I've never heard of a flat getting caught up in the brakes. If you flat on a corner it's likely you'll go down.

When I have a flat on a straight section of road I either coast or very lightly brake to a stop. No need to practice. Most important thing is to just relax, a bike is rideable in a straight line with a flat tire.
Old 08-31-18, 07:48 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I feel you. I broke a spoke the other day on a steep (15%), winding, downhill with a car behind me. It was disconcerting. A lot of noise and a lot of wobble. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was a spoke. It was not really a time when I would have expected a spoke to break. I hadn't even hit a pothole. Just a little rough pavement. I heard a pop and a whizzing noise and my first thought was that it must be a burst tube. I got to the outside of a lefthand turn and slowed down, saw that both tires were full, was puzzled, but realized that the whizzing noise was rim rubbing on brake, or tire on fender. Then proceeded carefully down the hill. I'm glad it wasn't a blowout. It could have been a whole lot worse.
Old 08-31-18, 07:49 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I've never heard of a flat getting caught up in the brakes. If you flat on a corner it's likely you'll go down.
... unless you brake carefully using only the non-flat tire.
Old 08-31-18, 07:56 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
... unless you brake carefully using only the non-flat tire.
Braking in the corner isn't going to help. If you're going slow enough that you don't immediately go down then you can just ride out the corner and coast to a stop or brake lightly. There is generally no urgency to hit the brakes when you have a flat, particularly if you're riding in a group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.