Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding slower than your normal pace

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-07-18, 02:32 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts

I have noticed that it's hard for me to bring myself to ride slower than is my normal pace (which, of course, varies due to road conditions). I can manage it when riding together with other people who then act as pacemakers, and even then I'm tempted to break away from them if they are slower, and wait for them afterwards. But when I ride alone, and that is 90% of the time, I seem incapable of riding without at least minimal physical exertion. When commuting to work, I usually try to drop the tempo so as to not sweat too much, but after a short while I always find myself going for it again. It's like "why ride slower, if riding a bit faster doesn't take a noticeable amount of energy more" - until you get to the point where the increase in energy spent becomes noticeable. The only times I do go slower than usual is if I'm not feeling well.

Is it the same with you?
Old 09-07-18, 02:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I don't understand ... why are you riding slower if riding a bit faster doesn't take a noticeable amount of energy more?
Old 09-07-18, 02:47 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I get bored and lose interest riding too slowly. I prefer a bit of a challenge without going into the red zone too frequently.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 09-07-18 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 02:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
"Slower than my normal pace" would be "not riding."
Old 09-07-18, 02:55 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I don't understand ... why are you riding slower if riding a bit faster doesn't take a noticeable amount of energy more?
...and riding a little bit faster yet, and so on, until it's the usual, sweating pace.
Old 09-07-18, 04:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I slow down for safety reasons, matching speed with companions, and sightseeing. Otherwise, I habitually ride fast, even in hot weather. I've even found myself thinking I am riding slow on a hot day only to glance at my phone to discover I am going 20 mph. It's almost like a muscle memory thing, I really have to make a choice over and over to keep from pedaling hard.
Old 09-07-18, 04:43 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Depends, most days I like a workout. Yesterday was glorious weather and all I wanted to do was putz around and take it all in so rather than going for a "run" on the bike I went for a long "walk."
Old 09-07-18, 04:48 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
My normal riding pace is very slow. I would probably fall off the bike if I rode any slower!
Old 09-07-18, 04:55 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I get what the OP is saying. I have tried coming into work drier, it just doesn’t happen. I end up with nearly the same results 9 months of the year. But I do have a place to wash up clothes and change, instead of an easy commute, I ended up deciding to make it my personal race against the clock.
Old 09-07-18, 05:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I have noticed that it's hard for me to bring myself to ride slower than is my normal pace (which, of course, varies due to road conditions). I can manage it when riding together with other people who then act as pacemakers, and even then I'm tempted to break away from them if they are slower, and wait for them afterwards. But when I ride alone, and that is 90% of the time, I seem incapable of riding without at least minimal physical exertion. When commuting to work, I usually try to drop the tempo so as to not sweat too much, but after a short while I always find myself going for it again. It's like "why ride slower, if riding a bit faster doesn't take a noticeable amount of energy more" - until you get to the point where the increase in energy spent becomes noticeable. The only times I do go slower than usual is if I'm not feeling well.

Is it the same with you?
I know exactly what you are saying. Some days I tell myself I am going to go for a casual spin, and yet when I get settled in, I am right there at my normal pace. Riding with others at a slower pace poses no problem for me either.

So yes, it's the same with me.
Old 09-07-18, 05:34 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I slow down to smell the roses. I speed up to avoid smelling the roadkill.

Old 09-07-18, 05:48 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
All this will change with age. You will naturally ride slower, whether you like it or not.

Its then time to look outward again, just like when a high schooler begins to look at the outside world around him.

All those hours spent on riding, and there are many, may get substituted for other more meaningful activities. That includes "smelling the roses".
Old 09-07-18, 06:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
why ride slower
Active recovery and aerobic base miles.

Most people ride too long and too hard on recovery rides. Most people ride zone 1 and low zone 2 aerobic base miles too hard as well, or they ride zone 3 and think they are doing aerobic base miles.

This is one of the beauties of a heart rate monitor and correctly calculated heart rate zones. It helps with focus and discipline. Some heart rate monitors can be set to beep when heart rate falls out of a specific range. Shift to an easier gear and spin. This type of riding is measured in hours, not miles.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-07-18 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 06:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I have noticed that it's hard for me to bring myself to ride slower than is my normal pace (which, of course, varies due to road conditions). I can manage it when riding together with other people who then act as pacemakers, and even then I'm tempted to break away from them if they are slower, and wait for them afterwards.

But when I ride alone, and that is 90% of the time, I seem incapable of riding without at least minimal physical exertion. When commuting to work, I usually try to drop the tempo so as to not sweat too much, but after a short while I always find myself going for it again.

It's like "why ride slower, if riding a bit faster doesn't take a noticeable amount of energy more" - until you get to the point where the increase in energy spent becomes noticeable. The only times I do go slower than usual is if I'm not feeling well.

Is it the same with you?
I have previously posted about my riding effort as the basis of my riding (training):
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m a 40+ year cyclist and I ride mainly for fitness. My training tool is the Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE) Scale, and I use cadence to chose gears to maintain my desired exertion.
This year though, I decided to go for speed (intensity), and I use the semi-quantitative, standardized, but personally relavant system of (Borg’s) Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE), with my own particular adaptation.
The RPE scale ranges from 6 to 17, with descriptions of the intensity. Multiply the RPE by 10 is the approximate heart rate. Jim's scale is the equivalent on a 0 to 100 scale, easier to think about:

RPE = 6, resting... Jim's scale = 10 to 20

RPE = 7, very, very light... Jim's scale = 20 to 30

RPE = 9, very light... Jim's scale = 30 to 40

11, fairly light...50 (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)

13, somewhat hard...60 (I have to focus to maintain)

15, hard...70 (I start breathing hard at about 30 seconds)

17, very hard (lactate threshold; breakpoint between hard but steady
breathing and labored with gasping)...80 (my predicted max HR)

19, very, very hard...90 to 100.
My basic training is to ride at my RPE of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70%. I try to change gears to maintain a cadence of about 85-90 rpm on flats and rolling hills, and about 60 to 80 rpm on harder hills, to maintain my RPE.

Shift up to higher gears as the cadence rises, and shift down as the RPE increases
So for me, riding slow is riding less than 50% of my RPE
(my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it). However,
Any other old timers enjoy riding slow? I replied to this thread.However, for me as a cycle commuter, with limited time to train for longer rides, I can't just meander.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-07-18 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 06:26 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
depends on how much time I have to ride. hard for an hour or putz (great word!) around for 4-5
Old 09-07-18, 06:34 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
My normal riding pace is very slow. I would probably fall off the bike if I rode any slower!
Fit a pair of stabilisers
Old 09-07-18, 06:59 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I think it's a sweet-spot cadence thing - spinning the pedals without enough resistance (i.e., slower than normal pace) feels like MORE work (and wasted work) than going up a gear, riding a bit a faster, yet with more resistance.

One of my main rides only has 6 speeds and that's the sense I get when stuck at a pace between two gears.
Old 09-07-18, 07:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I know what you mean. There is a certain level of excurtion that feels like “riding” to me. I takes some patience and discipline for me to go slower than that for long.
Old 09-07-18, 08:19 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
“It never gets easier, you just go faster.”
— Greg Lemond
Old 09-07-18, 08:25 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
“It never gets easier, you just go faster.”
— Greg Lemond
When you get older, it just gets easier.
Old 09-07-18, 08:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Active recovery and aerobic base miles.

Most people ride too long and too hard on recovery rides. Most people ride zone 1 and low zone 2 aerobic base miles too hard as well, or they ride zone 3 and think they are doing aerobic base miles.

This is one of the beauties of a heart rate monitor and correctly calculated heart rate zones. It helps with focus and discipline. Some heart rate monitors can be set to beep when heart rate falls out of a specific range. Shift to an easier gear and spin. This type of riding is measured in hours, not miles.

-Tim-
Gimme a break!
Some people ride a bicycle just to enjoy riding a bicycle, w/o a care in the world about "aerobic base miles", cadence, heart rate monitors, and least of all "focus and discipline", and do just fine.

OP, I suggest you ride whatever speed you like and forget about crowd sourcing for your own preference for what is normal.
Old 09-07-18, 08:54 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Some people ride a bicycle just to enjoy riding a bicycle, w/o a care in the world about "aerobic base miles", cadence, heart rate monitors, and least of all "focus and discipline", and do just fine.
I never said otherwise.

You are arguing about something which was not said.

-Tim-
Old 09-07-18, 08:59 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
throw it in the small chainring and leave it there. That'll do it
Old 09-07-18, 09:01 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I am guilty of this. Not just of riding too hard on days when I should be recovering, but riding on days when I really, really shouldn't be riding at all. I probably have a significantly depressed heart rate on one ride per week.

I did a fairly brisk solo century on the first of the month, and on my "recovery" ride the following day, simply could not elevate my HR above 127bpm. I nevertheless keep staring at my speed, and pushing myself when I knew I shouldn't.

Group riding would probably help with this-- the local clubs are sloooooowwww. But they also have start times and regular routes, and I'd just rather not.

I really want to go get on the bike today (Friday is a non-riding day) and I literally have to talk myself out of it. Because I did an hour of threshold yesterday, am set for probably ~70 miles tomorrow, and need the day off.

So I totally get it.
Old 09-07-18, 09:04 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
People can ride whatever speed they want. I used to just go out at pretty much the same speed every ride, but now my riding is structured around an exercise plan and I have hard and easy days. If I want to go really slow and smell the roses, I just go on a bike ride with my daughter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.