Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oria Vanadium - Pinarello Olé

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-21, 05:18 AM
FlemmingM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts

I’m searching for info on Oria Vanadium tubing; in particular if it’s straight gauge or butted? The only info I’ve been able to find is that tensile strength is 750 MPa, which is similar to Columbus Aelle/Gara (straight) or Cromor (butted). It is always a challenge to find any info on Oria tubing :-I

The frame is a Pinarello Olé, I believe. All decals are gone, which backs up my assumption of Pinarello :-)
Old 07-18-21, 05:52 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
A google search on Pinarello Ol'e suggests there was more than one tubeset used over the years. There are photos of one bike with stickers referencing Oria Vanadium as mentioned but also photos of another using tubing denoted ‘Arché.
Vanadium is a steel alloying element most often seen on higher end tubesets. Within Columbus tube hierarchy for example, it was used in what they called "nivacrom" tube sets. Most higher end tubesets had more specific references to them though and the fact that only "Vanadium" is referenced suggests a lower end tube set.
The Arché tubing was definitely lower end, similar to Aelle as mentioned.
Old 07-18-21, 05:20 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Nivacrom is a super strong niobium-vanadium-chromium steel alloy. Niobium was originally called columbium, which would have made for an interesting alloy used in a Columbus tubeset. In the case of the Oria Vanadium tubeset, the properties are more in line with carbon-manganese steel alloys. One other vanadium tubeset which fell into the same range was Fuji's VALite (vanadiaium-aluminum-manganese) steel alloy, which dates back to the 1982 model year, so utilizing vanadium as an alloy agent is nothing nothing new.

Given the known strength properties of the alloy, an educated case as to plain gauge or butted construction can be made from the wall thickness. This can be can be calculated from measurements of the outer diameter of the seat tube and the inner diameter of the seat tube or the seat post diameter, allowing for standard clearances, when using the latter.