Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lumens for riding in darkness

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-16-18, 04:46 PM
Brad Bike
That guy

Bikes: 2012 Felt FC build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've never done any night riding, but would like to give it a shot. I have a daytime flashing "see me" light, but obviously need a headlight to illuminate the road. I am seeing lights with a range of lumens (400 - 1300) that claim to serve that purpose, so I'm trying to figure out what I really need. Online posts range from "I only use the 150 lumens setting because 700 is too bright/annoying to cars" to "you need at least 1000 lumens to properly see the road and stay safe", so they're not really helpful. My typical speed is around 20-21 mph, so I know this will impact how far out I need to see. Any advice on lumens?

Would also appreciate advice on brands. I have aero handlebars, so looking at the K-Edge Garmin combo mount, which is slender enough to fit my handlebars and uses a GoPro mount for the light. So the light would need a GoPro mounting option, unless there is a better mounting option that I haven't seen yet. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-16-18, 04:53 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I ride pretty much everyday at 0400. 750-800 works for me, currently using a garmin Varia that adjust lumens to speed and darkness. Previously used the one pictured above until it died a noble long death. Imho.. the tail light is just as important since getting hit from behind is more probable.. Trek Flare,cheap and bright.

Last edited by Mike F; 09-16-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 05:30 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
It’s complicated. Lots of cheap lights inflate their lumens or have crappy optics.

It’s also complicated by the fact that you will want more light(s) if riding on unfamiliar roads versus familiar ones.

That said, you probably want to be looking at 450-1000. But don’t get too hung up on the numbers.
Old 09-16-18, 06:40 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
https://planetcyclery.com/ravemen-pr1200-front-light
This is the one I use, Ravemen 1200. I mostly ride the back country roads here in Tennessee, which mean no street lights, pitch black. It helps that I ride roads I normally ride during the day so I am somewhat familiar with the road conditions and route. I would not hesitate going on new roads at night with this light. I keep it on full (1200) and it will last my train time of 1 1/2 hours. My speeds are around 18-20 and some downhill speeds of 35+. I too was concerned about lights that would be bright enough for 20+ speed and I think this one does the job for me. This will be my second year with this light and so far it has held up good. Although I only use it about 3 times a week for four 4 months last year so far. It may or may not work with your current mount. I hope this helps.
Old 09-16-18, 06:48 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I end up running the lights on low setting because the run time on high is very limited.

Unless you're commuting & have a definite, shortish time to the ride,

a nice bright light that runs for an hour sucks.

Likewise, one dedicated mounting point may not be enough if you end up like me,

bringing multiple lights with various mounts.

+1 what datlas said.

I recently got a cheap & small light from Amazon (81g) for a back up that is promising so far. Keep in pocket until needed.

L&M- like/don't like
Lumina- good but heavy
Cateye- don't like the mount (but others do)
Axiom (Performance house brand)- cheap but mount broke
ebay/Amazon cheapies- worth a try

Last edited by woodcraft; 09-16-18 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 06:52 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Lumens describes total energy output, not how brightly-lit a given spot will be. A 1-lumen laser pointer can create a bright dot, while a 1-lumen flashlight would be basically useless.

I was recently accompanying another cyclist home at night, because he didn't have his headlight with him. He was impressed at how bright my light was, and asked what its lumens rating was. I told him that it was capable of 200 lumens, but was using its half-power setting. He was stunned; his own light is 300 lumens, yet he much preferred the illumination of the 100-lumen beam from my Cycle Torch Night Owl!

Last edited by HTupolev; 09-16-18 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 06:53 PM
PDLandis
"steel is real"

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Custom USA Cannondale 1x8 Frankenbike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don’t go below 500 lumens under any circumstances. I have used a 500 for night riding on improved trails and back roads at 15-18mph, and it gets me home. I can’t say it’s enjoyable. You have to really pay attention. At road speeds, you’ll want to see far ahead. Don’t get overly impressed with what reflectors look like. It’s about lighting the important part of your field of view. Check out Fenix.
Old 09-16-18, 06:54 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Number of lumens is entirely dependent on your surroundings. In urban areas with sodium lights--you need more lumens to see/be-seen. Country or non-lit roads you can run a lower brightness mode. In rain you need more to simply see the surface of the road. This is the upside of multi-mode headlights, you can run them at lower output when you want, and get longer run time.

Remember...car light throwers are in the range of 1K to 4K lumens per side. Your piddly bike light is lower output than them, almost always.
Old 09-16-18, 07:00 PM
wayne310

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDLandis
Don’t go below 500 lumens under any circumstances. I have used a 500 for night riding on improved trails and back roads at 15-18mph, and it gets me home. I can’t say it’s enjoyable. You have to really pay attention. At road speeds, you’ll want to see far ahead. Don’t get overly impressed with what reflectors look like. It’s about lighting the important part of your field of view. Check out Fenix.
i ll agree on this.

i run mine on 250 and it feels barely adequate to dodge potholes.

1000 lumens feels bit overkill and brighter than scooters.

500 is sweet spot.
Old 09-16-18, 07:08 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
This guide might be useful to help you choosing

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...rison-plus-how
Old 09-16-18, 07:14 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
I ride pretty much everyday at 0400. 750-800 works for me, currently using a garmin Varia that adjust lumens to speed and darkness. Previously used the one pictured above until it died a noble long death. Imho.. the tail light is just as important since getting hit from behind is more probable.. Trek Flare,cheap and bright.
I am using the K-edge and Garmin varia UT-800 with Garmin 520 as well. I also travel through Forrest preserve which requires more light than road. I have tried it on a commute yet, but the light is adequate for the forrrest - just not sure about battery life on high.

OP didn't say how long the battery has to last. Makes a big difference in selection.
Old 09-16-18, 07:16 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I'm sure the 750 would be fine. It's just super complicated. I used to ride with a light with just 200 lumens and it was fine, I got a light with 800 lumens and it was worse because it was a ****ty beam pattern, and I returned it and went back to the 200 lumen light.

- Beam Pattern (how the light distributes the light it outputs)
- Light quality (the cheaper more bluish leds are not as good at the same lumen output as better leds)
- Riding conditions (total darkness requires the least amount of light to see, a mix of total darkness with super bright lights is the worst that requires the most light to see)
Old 09-16-18, 07:29 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I have the K-Edge mount and use it with a Light and Motion Urban 800. 800 lumens and the light output is good for roads and trails, battery life has been very good and I like that it mounts via GoPro mount. My only gripe is that recharge time is slow and it can’t be operated while charging, other than that I highly recommend checking it out.
Old 09-16-18, 08:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've been happy with Cygolite products (as well as their warranty service.)

For night riding, I'm currently using the Cygolite Expilion 850 as well as the Hotshot 80 rear light (on steady, not blinking, at night). I wouldn't trust the Hotshot for riding through the night, as the battery life is limited, but it's fine for shorter rides.

The nice thing about the Expilion is that it runs while charging and the battery is replaceable. I usually run it on medium mode in town and either high or boost out in the country, though I cannot find specs on how many lumens each of those modes puts out.
Old 09-16-18, 08:46 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
I use two flashlights as my bike lights. When I was shopping around in 2013 I noticed runtime, overall brightness and throw for most bike lights were not expressed in the FL-1 standard and it was very hard to determine what would be effective or not. One big thing is manufacturers marketing the max lumens an LED can output and not giving the true output that will come out the front of the light. "700 lumens" becomes 400 when loses and efficiency come into play. Throw is another thing, if a light is very bright but has no throw it can't define the road further out enough to be effective. If a light has too much throw it does not illuminate enough to the side and can hide things.

Flashlights had much better information available so I chose two Olight S-15 flashlights. Each puts out around 250 lumens and has a throw of 76 meters. During dry conditions I typically only use one at a time and switch over once the runtime has ended for the first. The light(s) work great even in very brightly lit urban areas. The only time I use both is when I am descending very fast, above 30 miles per hour or so, or when the pavement is wet/it's raining. At my regular riding speeds the lights allow me to see most obstacles and road features within 5-10 seconds so I can avoid as necessary or adjust body position.

If your typical speed is 20 miles per hour I would look for a light with at least 300 out the front lumens as well as a throw rating of 85 meters or more.
Old 09-16-18, 09:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
+1 I run 2. one at the axle pointed exactly level, (on purpose), the other pointed down at the road from my K-Edge mount. In the morning/dark,I run everything at low power and the tail light on slow flash. In the afternoons everything on strobe. I can't tell you the number of times it has saved me. I've lost count. They really do startle drivers daily. Total output 1600-ish lumans max, but usually, I estimate under 1000 on low. The important thing, I think, is the 2 vantage points.

I don't know what setting=what lumen either. My estimate is low = 500 but I may be over estimating. It is a good clean white light and a decent pattern though. The difference between the Expelion 800 and the 850 is the lense on the 850 better focuses light destined for the trees to be thrown off the sides instead.

I never run high power. There just isn't a compelling reason to kill run time in my opinion. Low is more than enough & I think high hurts the night vision. It hurts my own eyes, that much I know.

I use them daily for 3 years now. The batteries have held up well.

Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've been happy with Cygolite products (as well as their warranty service.)

For night riding, I'm currently using the Cygolite Expilion 850 as well as the Hotshot 80 rear light (on steady, not blinking, at night). I wouldn't trust the Hotshot for riding through the night, as the battery life is limited, but it's fine for shorter rides.

The nice thing about the Expilion is that it runs while charging and the battery is replaceable. I usually run it on medium mode in town and either high or boost out in the country, though I cannot find specs on how many lumens each of those modes puts out.

Last edited by base2; 09-16-18 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 09:35 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Night rides can be fun. I use different lighting for urban vs rural.
In town I want steady lighting illuminating the street along with flashing to catch motorists' attention. And I do not want to blind oncoming drivers.
On rural roads I want redundancy and very bright lights for fast descents, plus varying intensity levels to match my speed and prolong run time.
On the left is a Bontrager ION 700, on the right is a Cateye Volt 1200. Full brightness they'll last maybe an hour, conserving batteries they'll last over three...that's as far as I've pushed 'em.

And I prefer to mount them under the bars like this

Last edited by BarryVee; 09-16-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 09:40 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use an anker lc40 flashlight its 20 bucks on amazon and right now they have the bigger lc90 for 20 as well both are as cheap and as usefull as you can get . they are 400 and 900 lums but they do get hot andvneed a charge after every use . i mount them with 2 hose clamps , they are almost tac light quality they will blind and illuminate a path or road about 30 feet ..
Old 09-16-18, 10:09 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
When I rode at night I used a Niterider 1800. 98% of the time I rode on 400 lumens, but as someone else mentioned, there are times you will need to see more and it is nice to have the extra lumens.

consider a helmet mounted light. Niterider has a long cord so you can put the battery in your jersey pocket. It will give much more run time and allow you to run the light in high without worry of running out of power before you get home.
Old 09-16-18, 10:17 PM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
I have the K-Edge mount and use it with a Light and Motion Urban 800. 800 lumens and the light output is good for roads and trails, battery life has been very good and I like that it mounts via GoPro mount. My only gripe is that recharge time is slow and it can’t be operated while charging, other than that I highly recommend checking it out.
I have the 800FC - Charges from dead to full in 2.5 hours.

OP: this one is bright enough for pitch black forest trails and has a wide beam pattern. Battery life on high is about 1.5 hours I think, although I have never ridden on high for that long.

My rear light is a Cygolite Hotshot 100. It has irregular patterns and is plenty bright to get you seen. It's bright enough that my friend is genuinely annoyed riding behind me in broad daylight
Old 09-17-18, 05:13 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Lupine Betty R 5000 Lumens LED

I am also a 430am cyclist 7 days a week and my light of choice is by Lupine of Germany with not inflated chinese knockoff lumens. The light I use is a 5000 Lumen 6 LED Light that usually I run at about 3200 Lumens and on occasion do bump it up to the 5k but it is brutal on people coming the other way. The lights are not budget friendly, but there is not another like like it in my opinion..
Old 09-17-18, 05:38 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Conditions play a big role. In open areas, moonlit, etc., sometimes you may want just enough to be seen, because brightly lighting one part of the road too much means not being able to see the rest. But if there really is no ambient light to work with at all, you're going to have tunnel vision regardless, so a lamp that can throw a lot of light down the road is indicated.
Old 09-17-18, 05:46 AM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I use two lights. The one on the handlebars is a garmin varia that adjusts with speed. It's pretty sweet but wasn't completely what I needed.

I also have a helmet mounted light. The one I have is a cheap explod-o-matic off amazon, so I won't recommend the brand as there is a possibility of burning down your house while charging it.

If I had to use one light, it would be a helmet mounted one. I like to be able to light up things where I look more than directly in front of the bike. Making a turn onto a pitch black road without seeing what is around that turn is not a comforting feeling.
Old 09-17-18, 05:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,262 Times in 7,220 Posts
500 lumens on a wooded trail in complete darkness. It was enough to see the giant porcupine (not pictured) coming towards me, but I did think it was a bear at first.

Old 09-17-18, 06:55 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Number of lumens is entirely dependent on your surroundings.
^^^This. It would be a lot more useful if headlight manufacturers spec'd their products in foot-lamberts rather than lumens. (In layman's terms: lumens is the amount of light exiting the lamp; foot-lamberts is the amount of light that actually reaches the surface you're trying to illuminate.) But of course then they'd have to standardize their test procedures and it could get harder to fudge the numbers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.