Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Moser!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Moser!

Old 04-18-19, 07:58 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Here's my, ? Moser ?

I believe this is a Moser Leader. I was reading oldschool and seem to have the frame that's referred to with no way of clamping the seat post without internal means. I managed to find a Suntour of the proper size (27.2mm, I believe). I've not completed the build up so I don't know how the post will hold; I'm pretty darn light at 140 lbs so I don't think it'll be a problem.
I don't know why it's been "badged' as a Colnago; never seen a Colnago with that type of frame before. There's the Moser "M" (arrow with 51.151) logo panto'd on the fork crown and brake bridge, 3 vent/drain slots on the BB[img]. I do have an earlier mid-80's frame with lugged construction, Columbus Aelle I believe, But I've yet to begin that project, I could post some frame photos in another post if there's interest; I'm not repainting it at this time so it's got plenty of character.
Any ideas and insight would be appreciated. Oldshool, would like to see your frame if you can post, sounds like you may have signed off for good; if not, I'd appreciate another like frame to have something to compare with.

MOSER LEADER (year, sub-model unknown), "rebadged" Colnago, partial build w/ Camp mix drivetrain

+
Likes For HPL:
Old 07-16-19, 01:05 PM
Vintage Moser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help identify my moser raceframe

Hey,

I bought this week a F. Moser raceframe. I have allready did alot of research bud I did not find anything at all about the frame I bought.
Can anyone help me identify my Moser frame. The guy I bought it from said he raced this bike himself (±45 years ago).
He told me also the frame was sort of a special edition. So if anyone could tell me what I bought, it would be very helpful!

(I tried to upload some pictures but for some reason I can't)

Kind regards,
Old 07-25-19, 12:42 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Moser Unknown Model

Originally Posted by Vintage Moser
Hey,

I bought this week a F. Moser raceframe. I have allready did alot of research but I did not find anything at all about the frame I bought.
Can anyone help me identify my Moser frame. The guy I bought it from said he raced this bike himself (±45 years ago).
He told me also the frame was sort of a special edition. So if anyone could tell me what I bought, it would be very helpful!

(I tried to upload some pictures but for some reason I can't)

Kind regards,
Moser started making bikes around the start of 1980 (I think '79 was the first year), so your bike shouldn't be more than 40 years old. I have seen a very early model, I believe was a '79, definitely 1980 at the latest. It had Moser's "head" as the headbadge, a very good indicator of an early Moser frame if your headbadge is still intact. I don't know how many different frames they made when first starting to produce bikes. There is a Cromovelato model made from '79 to the early 80's, I don't know when that was stopped. After he broke the hour record in '84 at 51.151Km they made more types of frames than previously; I don't know if any of these had the "51.151" logo on them yet. In 1987 the "51.151" model was introduced. My '84 "Aelle" frame, of course does not have the "51.151" markings since it's too early in the history, but it does have the bottom bracket shell with the stylized "FM" cut-out, I do not believe this feature was on bikes 1981 and earlier; but it might have been on '82 and later, who knows. What does your BB shell look like? My "Leader" frame does have the "51.151", but I don't know the year or sub-model of it. The "Leader" frame is fillet brazed and so easy to identify without the lugs, and some do not have the binder bolt on the seat tube (uses a "quill" style seat post with expansion plug). Are there any markings on the frame; seatstay caps, fork crown? The Cromovelato models were certainly a special edition bike (some special editions were gold plate, not chrome); easy to identify with the "colored varnish over chrome" look to it; beautiful bikes they are. Is it a bare frame set? Hope to see a photo soon.
Old 07-25-19, 05:21 AM
GeologyJoe

Bikes: F. Moser, Trek 520, Kona Cinder Cone, Raleigh Olympian and others.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moser Leader

I do have the same frame. They originally came set up for a quill style seat post. Mine was drilled and cut, and a seat clamp was added. This was done before I got it. Probably because the prior owner couldn't find a quill seat post. As it is I have never had an issue with it and can only tell by looking closely.
Old 07-25-19, 08:26 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by GeologyJoe
I do have the same frame. They originally came set up for a quill style seat post. Mine was drilled and cut, and a seat clamp was added. This was done before I got it. Probably because the prior owner couldn't find a quill seat post. As it is I have never had an issue with it and can only tell by looking closely.
Hey Joe,
I don't know if all the "Leader" models had the "quill post" set-up. I've seen some photos of others that were modified like yours so I couldn't tell if it was original to the design or not. Luckily, I'm only 140 lbs wet so there's no problem with saddle movement, but I've heard that it could have been a problem with larger riders or possibly certain riding styles and so I thought "Leaders" were re-designed with a collar clamp stock from the work shop. it also could be that certain types of posts weren't designed properly and did not "bind" enough to prevent movement. It really makes the frame look smooth without having the binder bolt or collar clamp; I'm glad I was able to find a post without breaking the bank ($15 from my local bike recycle guy) since as you've implied, they are hard to find and not cheap. I actually stumbled into another one by mistake and never remembered where it came from. My bike was only "molested" by the paint work.
An update on my frame: it is supposedly a "Leader SC", so built before the "Leader AX"; but I don't know when this frame style ended (made at least to 1987). Since my frame has the "51.151" marking on it I assume it to be of 1987 vintage or later; how much later, I don't know. My frame has a different BB shell than those I've seen before.
Old 08-25-19, 07:36 PM
GeologyJoe

Bikes: F. Moser, Trek 520, Kona Cinder Cone, Raleigh Olympian and others.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moser leader

Hi all. I thought I posted a reply earlier but don’t see it now.

Yes, from what I can tell the seat tube on my Miser Leader was modified (cut) and a seat clamp added. I’m guessing this is because the previous owner couldn’t find a quill style seat post. Or to cut weight. I don’t know. Either way it doesn’t effect the bike at all.
Old 05-16-20, 06:12 AM
Kekec1965

Bikes: Several, to many to list, mainly vintage British build. From A-Z of brands there are two letters missing, X&Y.

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 60 Posts
@ HPL

Gosh, you must be luckiest person alive to get the internal expander seatpost for 15 bucks only. And stumble across another one too. I'm looking for one for a long time without luck as not wanting to cut a slot in the frame yet.

Last edited by Kekec1965; 05-16-20 at 06:13 AM. Reason: adding reference