Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 05:48 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
You ever have a bike that looks perfect rides perfect but decide to make s few changes to it? Everybody raised their hand. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. After putting on some black walled tires (courtesy of Doc) on my Carbon Ironman, I decided the bike needed more color. So I put pink cable housing on it and immediately realized why I previously used black cable housing. It actually initially had pink housing and I Did not like it so changed it to black and it was So much better.... but I forgot I had did that. Spent time after 10 pm changing back to black. Sometimes aging sucks.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-15-20 at 05:57 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-15-20, 06:35 AM
texaspandj

I'm not sure I mentioned this but my cycling buddy bought a Centurion LeMans. I think an '89. It's a small frame in great condition, previously owned by a little old lady who rode it only on Sundays... to church. He paid 10 bucks under the asking price of 50 bucks. The color scheme is identical to the purple rain IRONMAN. So several weeks back he asked can I tune it up for him I said sure. He came over with the required 6 pack payment. I had actually talked him into overhauling that 30+ year old bike. My plan was to use the same tactic my mechanic Uncle Joe used on me when I asked him to help me put new brake shoes on my pickup bitd. He said bring me that chair, sat in it and simply told me what to do.
But the funny part about trying to teach my cycling buddy was when we removed all the components and I said now clean them to you're own standards then we'll oil or grease and reinstall. 2 hours later he was still cleaning and had already asked for a toothbrush when his wife called.
When he left, the bike was completely disassembled with ultra clean parts in a box. I ended up doing the rest....still that was funny seeing him clean those parts with a toothbrush and me watching him while drinking a beer.
Yesterday, he told me he commutes to work on it and is thinking of putting leather wrap and matching saddle on it. The best part is at 30 years of age he's younger than the bike.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-15-20 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 07:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Pretty sure they'll be able to.
As long as they're in for the margaritas....or at least be there....
My hotel is in Burkeburnette?
Reason for today's 100....virtual Tour de Corn.
Believe it or not, Red Draw is a very popular drink in that area. I've told the story about going to the Rodeo Clown Saloon when the group I was with wanted to drink Red Draws. WF is where the drink was invented, at least the Texas version. The Bar L Drive Inn is a good representation of the culture in that area. A WF landmark. It can be a rough joint at times as can most in that area. You're probably not going to get shot there, but might get knifed if things get out of hand. They can get out of hand quickly. They have good food, or did when I lived there.

https://thehubntx.com/2019/08/history-of-the-red-draw/

https://www.facebook.com/Bar-L-Drive...4895149554038/

Last edited by seypat; 06-15-20 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 01:36 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Unhappy w/ nail polish for Sea Foam touchup on '87 Master

I have been using nail polish for years and get a good match but after a few years it fades to gray and needs to be removed and replaced. Hoping someone has had some luck getting a good match in enamel, acrylic, urethane, etc.
Thanks
1987 Ironman Master in Sea Foam
Old 06-15-20, 08:29 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
You ever have a bike that looks perfect rides perfect but decide to make s few changes to it? Everybody raised their hand. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. After putting on some black walled tires (courtesy of Doc) on my Carbon Ironman, I decided the bike needed more color. So I put pink cable housing on it and immediately realized why I previously used black cable housing. It actually initially had pink housing and I Did not like it so changed it to black and it was So much better.... but I forgot I had did that. Spent time after 10 pm changing back to black. Sometimes aging sucks.
Stand by for my new and improved 86' IM . Sorry I'm out of town in tell Monday . The changes will be subtle and black will be emphasized , kind of . If it's no good I can always go back , and my BOC will be grateful .
mw
Old 06-16-20, 08:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
A small woman's Ironman came through my home a few years ago, back when I was flipping bikes. My kid Juj already had a bike of their own but they fell in love with this bike with the small front wheel, a replica of the Terry design. (I'm using they/them pronouns to refer to my kid, as that is their choice.) The bike was too small for my kid, but they loved it anyway. Eventually I sold the bike. Then they met Kat, their girlfriend, now their wife, who is 5'0" (152 cm) tall. And a bike just like the one I had bought and sold popped up, so I grabbed it. Kat isn't an experienced rider and wasn't all that comfortable with the racing geometry and drop handlebars. On my suggestion and her approval, I just replaced the handlebars. I have to find some shifters that will mount on the handlebars, because upright bars and down-tube shifters are not a great mix.

Before:

After:

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-16-20, 12:12 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A small woman's Ironman came through my home a few years ago, back when I was flipping bikes. My kid Juj already had a bike of their own but they fell in love with this bike with the small front wheel, a replica of the Terry design. (I'm using they/them pronouns to refer to my kid, as that is their choice.) The bike was too small for my kid, but they loved it anyway. Eventually I sold the bike. Then they met Kat, their girlfriend, now their wife, who is 5'0" (152 cm) tall. And a bike just like the one I had bought and sold popped up, so I grabbed it. Kat isn't an experienced rider and wasn't all that comfortable with the racing geometry and drop handlebars. On my suggestion and her approval, I just replaced the handlebars. I have to find some shifters that will mount on the handlebars, because upright bars and down-tube shifters are not a great mix.

Before:

After:

Nice score Tom, that 87 looks to be in great shape! A set of Deore (XT) thumbies would be perfect for it !
Old 06-17-20, 09:01 AM
texaspandj

I've posted how I never watched the tv series Miami Vice bitd and after watching a utube video of Edward James Olmos talking about his initial contact with the show made me want to watch it. So recently I purchased the first season DVD, liked it, purchased second season. I thought what the hey I'll buy the next season too. But as the kids say, they caught me slipping. The first two seasons were relatively cheap 5 or 6 bucks. But I didn't do my due diligence, and the next season is two to three times that. They got me on that one. Still contemplating getting it...
Speaking of Miami Vice, I rode mine yesterday and it gave me a great ride. I think it's funny that in spite of it being my heaviest bike , with lowest level of components, cheapest tires, worst accessories on it (saddle bag, bottle and cages) it always surprises me that it never disappoints. <There's gotta be a better/clearer way to say that @canklecat.
Anyways, which leads me to another thought. How many of y'all are making it to the (RTs) HNH in august? And if going, are you riding an Ironman? And if riding an Ironman, which one? I want to know so I can bring an Ironman that isn't the the same as someone else's.
I know @jim dandy has a Summertime Blues Ironman like me but not sure he'll make it. (Remember JD you don't have to do the full hundred and your presence would certainly be appreciated) C-Cat has a Smoke On The Water Ironman and I don't have one of those....anymore. My cycling buddy I believe is still going and he has a '88 Yellow/White straight fade Ironman Master, I don't have one of those....anymore either.
I'd like to take my '86 Classic however I'd need to change the 13-21 dura ace freewheel to 13-26 as a precautionary measure. I keep thinking it'll be the '88 Carbon Midnight Rider as it has a a rangey 13-28 8 speed cassette. And honestly I have no problem taking the Miami Vice with 13-26 dura ace freewheel but I would switch out to better lighter accessories.
So who's Going?

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-17-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-17-20, 02:15 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
I wish i could go but unfortunately i cant. I do have one request if everyone that goes is ok with it. I would like to ask that someone takes a picture of all the Centurions that are in the group in a large group shot something cool , My intentions is to use it on the vintage-centurion website. heck even if they are not in this group and some one is there with a centurion see if they would be willing. I think it would be a cool pic of all these centurions that are still being used 30+ years later.

Of course i would need all owners of the bikes in the picture to give me permission to use it.

heres some 1987 love
Old 06-17-20, 03:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

Before:

After:

I switched my Univega from the original flat bar a thumb shifters (which broke after nearly 30 years) to riser bars with SunRace SLM10 friction thumbies (cheap but good) and, finally, to Nitto albatross swept bars with Shimano bar-end shifters.

The latter works best for me, but it needs either a long top tube, shortened swept bars, or both to avoid knocking the knees. Fortunately the Univega frame was already slightly large for me (58cm frame, I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam) with a longer than usual top tube due to the bike starting life as a rigid frame MTB. But I still swapped out the original 120mm riser stem for a 120mm horizontal stem - same length but effectively longer reach. So the reach and knee clearance are perfect.

That might not work with some road bikes including that "Terry" style Ironperson. Looks like the top tube isn't long enough to clear bar end shifters with swept bars. But a longer stem might do the trick.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-17-20, 03:58 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
I've posted how I never watched the tv series Miami Vice bitd and after watching a utube video of Edward James Olmos talking about his initial contact with the show made me want to watch it. So recently I purchased the first season DVD, liked it, purchased second season. I thought what the hey I'll buy the next season too. But as the kids say, they caught me slipping. The first two seasons were relatively cheap 5 or 6 bucks. But I didn't do my due diligence, and the next season is two to three times that. They got me on that one. Still contemplating getting it...
Our regional library system has seasons 1 through 5, same price as the original '80s broadcasts (zero), only without the commercials.
Old 06-17-20, 04:24 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by madpogue
Our regional library system has seasons 1 through 5, same price as the original '80s broadcasts (zero), only without the commercials.
Good point, I think our county library is finally open. We'll have to check into it.
Old 06-17-20, 05:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I think Hulu has Miami Vice episodes too. Not sure whether Hulu still offers free services, but they had some good stuff on last time I checked.
Old 06-17-20, 05:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

...How many of y'all are making it to the (RTs) HNH in august? And if going, are you riding an Ironman?...
Hoping to. Not sure. Hard to predict my availability due to health issues. I've postponed most routine care appointments during the pandemic, but I've still had a couple of urgent care visits. If I can put together three consecutive days of feeling up to par I'll be willing to make plans.

Definitely riding the Ironman if I do. Got it pretty well dialed in now. I just switched to a longer stem (110mm Salsa open face 4-bolt) and still need to get accustomed to it for longer rides, but I've managed up to 50 miles so far with only a short rest break. Neck was kinda stiff and sore later but not as bad as I'd expected. The short stem was comfy, but the longer stem is more stable on fast curves, especially on rippled and rough pavement.

The original 120mm SR stem from the Ironman is on the Univega. I needed it to give a little more reach and knee room after switching that bike to albatross swept bars and bar end shifters. It's perfect now and I don't want to mess with it. So now it's an Ironvega... Uniman... something.
Old 06-17-20, 07:07 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 124 Posts
I just bought this last week. It's an 88 but not sure what the paint scheme is called. I think it's Purple Haze, right?
Likes For 76SLT:
Old 06-18-20, 03:02 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by 76SLT
I just bought this last week. It's an 88 but not sure what the paint scheme is called. I think it's Purple Haze, right?
Yeah, most call it purple haze but ever since Prince died I call it Purple Rain.
We need a ride report and more pics.
Are those continental tires on there?

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-18-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 05:45 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 124 Posts
Yeah, most call it purple haze but ever since Prince died I call it Purple Rain.
We need a ride report and more pics.
Are those continental tires on there?
It appears to be all original except for the seatpost is a Strong and the handlebars are Scott Drop LF. The rear wheel was changed to a 32 spoke Mavic MA 40 but the front has the original 28 spoke Araya CTL-370.

The tires are Continental Super Sport Ultra but I'm going to replace them soon. They look old and are starting to show cracks.

I tore it down to the frame to do a thorough cleaning and polish. The guy I bought it from really took good care of it. It had fresh grease everywhere and minimal wear. He used to ride 5000 miles a year but can't balance well anymore so he let it go. I couldn't get confirmation that he put 5000 miles a year on this bike. He just said he rode his bikes s lot.
I bought new cables today which will go on tomorrow, and I still need to get new bar tape. I need suggestions for a good white tape, preferably with perforations. I like that look.

This makes two for me so I may keep just one. I should know by the end if the summer if they both stay or one goes.

Old 06-18-20, 08:09 PM
texaspandj

Man! Those are the tires I used to run bitd. They were semi slicks I'd pump to 120 psi and HAMMER. I liked em cause they seemed to last forever...however hard as a rock.
Tough choice on the two Ironman. If the '87 was an expert it would be an easier choice. As it is, I like the '87 master's forks and paint and for all its intents and purposes it's an '86. Meanwhile you'll notice the lightweight and quick acceleration of the '88 and it's "Let's Go" characteristics.
I vote keep em both.
Old 06-18-20, 10:22 PM
N2motorsports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
After 500 miles on the oem setup, it was time to modernize her. First picture was from the day I got her in Jan 2020.
Last pic I grinded down a presta lock nut to angle the rear brakes 1-2 degrees upward for clearance. If any knows of a better, safer way to mount, pls share.

Last edited by N2motorsports; 06-18-20 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 04:03 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by N2motorsports
After 500 miles on the oem setup, it was time to modernize her. First picture was from the day I got her in Jan 2020.
Last pic I grinded down a presta lock nut to angle the rear brakes 1-2 degrees upward for clearance. If any knows of a better, safer way to mount, pls share.

Old 06-19-20, 09:07 AM
WildWilly

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Centurion Carbon Ironman Dave Scott

I picked up a Centurion Carbon Ironman Dave Scott and hoping to learn more about the original parts. It's not letting me post pictures since I just signed up :'(
Old 06-19-20, 09:15 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by WildWilly
I picked up a Centurion Carbon Ironman Dave Scott and hoping to learn more about the original parts. It's not letting me post pictures since I just signed up :'(
The Carbon Ironman came equipped with Shimano 600 tricolor 7 speed components. The Centurion Carbon R (identical frame as the Ironman) came with Dura ace components.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-19-20, 09:57 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Well in a bittersweet turn of events I did not need up buying robbies Ironman restomod frame set I found 55cm 97 lemond Zurich 853 maybe one day I will own another Ironman only future knows that but it was a blessing to be part of the Ironman community and I will leave a picture of the new ride

Old 06-19-20, 10:04 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT
It appears to be all original except for the seatpost is a Strong and the handlebars are Scott Drop LF. The rear wheel was changed to a 32 spoke Mavic MA 40 but the front has the original 28 spoke Araya CTL-370.

The tires are Continental Super Sport Ultra but I'm going to replace them soon. They look old and are starting to show cracks.

I tore it down to the frame to do a thorough cleaning and polish. The guy I bought it from really took good care of it. It had fresh grease everywhere and minimal wear. He used to ride 5000 miles a year but can't balance well anymore so he let it go. I couldn't get confirmation that he put 5000 miles a year on this bike. He just said he rode his bikes s lot.
I bought new cables today which will go on tomorrow, and I still need to get new bar tape. I need suggestions for a good white tape, preferably with perforations. I like that look.

This makes two for me so I may keep just one. I should know by the end if the summer if they both stay or one goes.

Those levers are sick !!!!
Old 06-19-20, 11:19 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by WildWilly
Wow, we have a former POTUS on board, cool!

texaspandj , Link to pics of the Carbon - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/18228270 . It appears the bar and stem, and rear wheel, have been swapped.

Last edited by madpogue; 06-20-20 at 10:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.