Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 06:53 PM
CoyDawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My Story

So here is my story. I have been following (stalking) you 50+ for some time now. I'm 63.

In 2013 my son had a bike built for him from the frame up. It was his! In the spring of 2014 he said, "dad, you need to buy a bike so we can go cycling together." I did. I purchased a Trek Series 1; 1.2 a great beginners road bike. We rode together ONCE. I rode by myself a couple of times after that. Never got used to the saddle. Winter came (I am in Vermont) so I put the bike on a trainer with the intentions of riding on the trainer during the winter (the trainer was given to me by a neighbor who quit riding) and go riding the next spring. Six years later the bike was still on the trainer never touched. My son had sold his bike and we never went on another ride. I decided in the spring of 2020 to retire at the end of May. In April 2020, I looked at myself, very much over weight; obese from years at a desk and I needed to do something; and there was the bike setting on the trainer. I decided to start riding while my wife was on the treadmill. We did that together for the month of April. This was good. I rode so I was comfortable on the trainer up to about 45 minutes. The 'stock' saddle was still an issue. Finally, spring came this past May (again, I'm in Vermont) and I got an appointment for the bike for a tune up since it hadn't been on the road since 2014. May 16 was my first ride on the road, my notes said I rode 5.4 miles. It was painful. Since then I have had a professional fit and today I went over the 400 mile mark since that first ride. Might not be much for some, but it is a start. I am trying to do this smartly; I don't want to overdue it and take it in stages. If I do to much I will be tired and sore and will be hesitant to go out again. If I do a little at a time I will keep coming back. It is so enjoyable. I am loving it and trying to absorb all the knowledge I can. This winter will be key. Will I ride it on the trainer or not? I don't want to start over again in 2021.

Anyway, 400 miles and going...from a 10.5 mph avg. in May for 5.4 miles to a 15.3 avg today at 18 miles. I am pretty much used to the saddle but will upgrade soon . I enjoy it and hopefully will continue. I appreciate all the knowledge you are providing and may pick your brains in the future.
Likes For CoyDawg:
Old 08-12-20, 06:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyDawg
15.3 avg today at 18 miles.
You earned a better bike, good job.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-12-20, 07:29 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
There is that saying that is "it's never too late" and you are living proof of this. Congrats on making this far. Even if you don't cycle on the trainer this winter, don't let that get you down. You can ALWAYS start again next spring, you don't have to make it a make or break situation.

As for the bike, it is just fine, no need to change it. Maybe if the saddle is still not comfortable replace that. Stock saddles are usually not that great. One of the things I recommend is a smart trainer to help in those winter months. There is a huge difference between that and what you have now.
Old 08-12-20, 08:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Welcome, lurker.

I say take it easy and keep it fun.

Cycling is a Sport offering the best results when practiced for life.
Slow and steady, beats anything that results in burn-out and is short lived.
Also, your body likely appreciates the time to adapt.

Others may counsel otherwise.
Ride On.
Old 08-13-20, 07:43 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Welcome, lurker.

I say take it easy and keep it fun.

Cycling is a Sport offering the best results when practiced for life.
Slow and steady, beats anything that results in burn-out and is short lived.
Also, your body likely appreciates the time to adapt.
I agree completely. The best exercise is the one you like and will maintain. Regarding saddles, in my early days of cycling I experienced severe butt pain to the point I considered giving up the bike. However, being stubborn I persisted and over time and a number of different saddles, I learned the shape of saddle was best for me. It also became evident that time in the saddle also contributed to increased comfort. If severe discomfort persists, try different saddles.
Old 08-13-20, 09:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
It also became evident that time in the saddle also contributed to increased comfort. If severe discomfort persists, try different saddles.

The 'butt muscles' also need time to adapt to cycling's demands.
I have found as my fitness improves and legs strengthen I spend less time with my full weight on the saddle. Strong legs and a forward leaning 'roadie' position allow me to ride for miles with my butt one millimeter off the saddle = seated, but relieving your bottom as the full weight bearing point..
YMMV
Old 08-13-20, 09:20 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
So here is my story. I have been following (stalking) you 50+ for some time now. I'm 63.

In 2013 my son had a bike built for him from the frame up. It was his! In the spring of 2014 he said, "dad, you need to buy a bike so we can go cycling together." .....
We rode together ONCE. I rode by myself a couple of times after that. Never got used to the saddle. Winter came (I am in Vermont) so I put the bike on a trainer with the intentions of riding on the trainer during the winter ...........This winter will be key. Will I ride it on the trainer or not? I don't want to start over again in 2021.

Anyway, 400 miles and going...from a 10.5 mph avg. in May for 5.4 miles to a 15.3 avg today at 18 miles. I am pretty much used to the saddle but will upgrade soon . I enjoy it and hopefully will continue. I appreciate all the knowledge you are providing and may pick your brains in the future.
I have a few comments: 1) What about riding with your son again. One of my sons lives overseas but we often ride when we can get together. It’s a great motivator.
2) Get a saddle that suits you. But I’d suggest avoiding a ‘comfort seat’. Real saddles are designed that way for a reason so, get a good one that fits and you will come to appreciate it.
3) I also live in a wintery climate (Summer is 3 months a year of bad sledding). By all means ride on the trainer. But the joy in that is limited. I’d suggest trying some ‘cross-training’. Buy some cross-country skis for you and your wife and join a local club or, at least, find some nearby trails. It’s a great way to keep fit. After a while you won’t know (or care) if you are skiing to keep fit for biking or biking to keep fit for skiing.
Enjoy retirement!

Last edited by Mountain Mitch; 08-14-20 at 07:17 AM.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 08-13-20, 03:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great start! I rode in Vermont July 2019 and it's really beautiful. Just getting out in the countryside and exploring should be plenty of motivation for you to keep it going. Enjoy the journey!
Old 08-13-20, 05:00 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Amazing progress 😊 And you’re doing it right. Take it slow with your body telling you how hard to push.

Yes, the winter is an issue. I’m in the NE also and don’t have a trainer so I did a lot of as intense cardio workouts as possible along with strength training. But the trainer sounds great.

For now, though, we can just...enjoy the ride ; )
Old 08-13-20, 07:50 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Awesome story. 15mph is respectable over 18 miles. Just keep riding and hold off for a few hundred more miles before you start buying/replacing stuff like saddles and gears and entire bikes. Your body is adapting and will adapt to positions and efforts you'd never think possible. The weights coming off, water only on the bike while riding less than 20 miles, you'll put the hurt on your son when you ride together next. 😉
Old 08-14-20, 07:04 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
...and may pick your brains in the future.
Yes, please. 50+ is one of the more patient and gracious forums...usually.

go, Go, GO!
Old 08-14-20, 07:44 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Sounds to me like you are doing it right. Patience and consistency are key. If you do something on the bike and it makes you want to ride again, you are doing the right thing.
Old 08-15-20, 07:14 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
So here is my story. I have been following (stalking) you 50+ for some time now. I'm 63. .....
Looks like you started at the same age I did. That was 10 years ago when I came home from work, on my birthday, and the wife says, "Lets go get your birthday present." Couldn't figure out why we had to take the pickup to get it unless it was a new BBQ grill that I was looking at. To my surprise, we went to a bike shop and I came home with a bike I really didn't want and thought she had paid way too much money for. Had she bought the bike at Walmart, I probably wouldn't be riding today. Since she spent more than I would ever spend on a bicycle ($300), I decided to give this cycling thing a try. The rest is history. Don't be surprised if you fall into the same addiction trap as the rest of us.

Congrats on upping your average speed. Keep up the good work.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-15-20, 07:26 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I hope you can work up to more miles at a time! Fall in Vermont is a beautiful time of year!
Old 08-17-20, 08:40 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Best value for my money on this hobby has been a professional bike fit. No amount of upgrading components or tinkering with the other parts of the bike - though fun and maybe expensive - is worth it without a proper bike fit.