Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rubber band/shim on an Ultegra 6500 shifter small lever

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 05:18 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

I noticed that on one of my bikes with 9 speed Ultegra 6500 shifters, the small inner lever on the LH side sticks out a bit. It bugs me to feel that bulge when I am riding.
I finally looked more closely and it seems the small lever is supposed to have a rubber band that acts as a Stop to keep it aligned with the edge of the big outer lever.
My LH shifter is missing that band., (how it would get lost I have no idea.)

does any one know what these are actually called (or a part number) that I could search for a replacement?
or does anyone know where I can find spares of these?

many thanks

Peter

Old 08-20-20, 07:13 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
That is a tough one. I have not seen in the tech docs a part number and suspect finding a "not working for parts only" lever for sale might be the only way to get one. Hope somebody on here comes through for you. I am going to put some Aerospace Protectant 303 on mine to help with aging.

Edit- Might try posting over on the C&V forum as there are a lot of parts horders over there.

Last edited by easyupbug; 08-20-20 at 07:24 AM. Reason: second thought
Old 08-20-20, 08:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
If that thing is rubber, or whatever stretchy substance, I'll be it dry-rotted, cracked, and eventually broke. It might be though finding an exact replacement. But I would try something like an O-ring used on various faucets. You can buy small packs of them in varying sizes and thinknesses at your local hardware store. Maybe a small slice of rubber surgical tubbing might work. Or, with some small surgical scissors, you might be able to fashion one out of old inner tube.
It's not an identical replacement, but it might work to line the handles up like you want them to be.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_: