Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Master Build Advice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 02:09 PM
CLmaster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,I have a vintage Colnago Master I am rebuilding with vintage Shamal wheels and would like some advice.

I am new to the bike world so please bare with me and any advice would be great (sorry for any silly questions):
  1. Name wise Campagnolo C Record is Record equivalent and sometimes just called Record as that was the highest level/best groupset at the time?
  2. C Record replaced Super record – so era wise is the highest grade Campagnolo groupset
  3. C record will fit my set up better due to it needs to be 8 speed due to shamal wheels?
  4. What constitutes a full groupset – should it all be C Record or could some be other Campagnolo levels? I am trying to build the best spec’d bike so want to make sure all parts are correct and match.
  5. Chorus crank looks very like a C record crank how do you differentiate between either part?
  6. Is there a way or serial number to check on each of the parts of the groupset to make sure they are C Record and not a lower level Campagnolo groupset?
  7. How can I tell what mark/model and date my Master frame is?
  8. What build what you recommend on a Master frame with shamal wheels?
  9. Any other things I should note when building the bike?
Appreciate you taking the time to read my questions and any advice.

Thanks
Old 11-30-20, 02:42 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Hi and welcome!

That is quite a list and I doubt anyone would want to spend time answering all that in one go. To motivate people here - take some time and get your 10 posts together and then post a pic of your frame. That will lure out/motivate the crowd. It will also help in narrowing down the approximate year of your frame - which is where you should start when collecting period parts for your project.

I am not writing this to discourage you - it is only friendly advice. The questions you have would take quite some time to answer in a good way. And that needs some motivation.

To show I am not a total bore - here is a link to my Master Piu build thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ld-thread.html
Old 11-30-20, 02:54 PM
CLmaster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice - currently won't let me post any pics. I will have a read of your build, great to see a full build!
Old 11-30-20, 02:58 PM
CLmaster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great build thread - looks like you are using C Record like i am going to!
Old 11-30-20, 03:35 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Thanks! What colour is yours (one question at the time until enough posts are made...)?
Old 11-30-20, 04:12 PM
CLmaster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is red - has straight forks so it maybe a mk2?!
Old 11-30-20, 06:51 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
As you already have a Shamal wheelset I would suggest trying to source a similar era Campagnolo 8 speed Record groupset. A C-Record groupset would be my second choice...but....a C-Record groupset does have 'the style'. I'm guessing that your Shamal wheelset is from the 1993 - 1995 era so thats the Campagnolo groupset era I would be hunting for. My favourite Campy groupset from that era in the 1995 Record which was the one marked 'Titanium'.

I would need to see your frame but Colnago Master frames would suit a Campagnolo 8 speed Record groupset.

By the way, there is quite a difference in the old C-Record and Chorus cranksets but an easy way to tell if it is a Record crankset is if one of the five ring mounting bolt holes is located behind the crank arm.

C-Record had about 4 versions if my memory serves me well. They all worked but braking became better as they progressed. Very fiddly to set up and odd sized allen keys were needed (as well as 3 hands, haha). Down tube gear levers changed quite a bit too. I think the later versions had a capacity for 8 speeds. There are lots of sources on the internet to see them. I'd still go for the later 8 speed Record with the 'brifters' (brake and gear levers combined) if possible, to match the Shamals. Shamals did change within this time period and you could 'date' your Shamals to suit your choice of groupset. (You can fit 8 speed brifters to C-Record rear derailleurs.)

A full gruppo would include front and rear derailleurs, front and rear brake callipers and levers, seat post, headset, bottom bracket and crankset. Brake and gear cables as well. You may also get a rear gear cluster.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 12-01-20 at 01:33 AM.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 11-30-20, 07:02 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by CLmaster
I am new to the bike world so please bare with me and any advice would be great (sorry for any silly questions):
My answers (these are just my personal responses, others may vary)
  1. Google
  2. Google
  3. Google
  4. Obvious
  5. Google
  6. Google
  7. Google
  8. You decide
  9. Google
Old 12-01-20, 08:36 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
  1. Google
  2. Google
  3. Google
  4. Obvious
  5. Google
  6. Google
  7. Google
  8. You decide
  9. Google
What a nice way to welcome a new member to our hobby and community - especially as the OP starts with:
"I am new to the bike world so please bare with me and any advice would be great (sorry for any silly questions)" and signs off with "Appreciate you taking the time to read my questions and any advice.- thanks"

Why did you bother posting? I can imagine being fed up with some questions but if so - why bother answering? What was the purpose? Educating about search engines?
Or are you just a passive aggressive net-bully? Who do you imagine being your audience?
Likes For styggno1:
Old 12-01-20, 09:15 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
  1. Google
  2. Google
  3. Google
  4. Obvious
  5. Google
  6. Google
  7. Google
  8. You decide
  9. Google
WOW. Just wow.
Like I always say 1 in every 10.
To OP, pics and you'll probably get most of your answers...and hang in there.
Old 12-01-20, 10:10 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@CLmaster - You can post pictures in your gallery in your profile until you get to 10 posts. They can be posted here by others.
Congrats on you acquisition! It should be fun to watch this build.
Old 12-01-20, 10:55 AM
CLmaster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks will post pics in my gallery now - appreciate the help!
Old 12-01-20, 11:51 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Congrats on building such a nice bike! I really like C-Record looks, but 8sp Record Ergo is nice too. Either one will do IMO.
Old 12-01-20, 11:58 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
What a nice way to welcome a new member to our hobby and community - especially as the OP starts with:
"I am new to the bike world so please bare with me and any advice would be great (sorry for any silly questions)" and signs off with "Appreciate you taking the time to read my questions and any advice.- thanks"

Why did you bother posting? I can imagine being fed up with some questions but if so - why bother answering? What was the purpose? Educating about search engines?
Or are you just a passive aggressive net-bully? Who do you imagine being your audience?
I would think that someone "new to the hobby" would take the time to do some research, as that is part of the hobby, no? Someone looking for easy answers to all of their questions seems, to me, to be more interested in a quick fix. And that's fine. But let's call it what it is.

As for the "why bother" question, it seems to come up often these days. Why speak to laziness, or ignorance, or malice, at all, right? I mean, it is only our society that is degrading, robbing the rest of us of quality of life, right? No big deal...

Anyway, he wanted advice from us, so that is my advice. If he finds those answers for himself, his build will be me rewarding, and the finished product more satisfying.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Like I always say 1 in every 10.
What?
Old 12-01-20, 12:01 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
When I built my Master I built it with a modern Centaur group, now I’d go Veloce. If you hit up eBay.it you should be able to find a group for less than 300 plus shipping. If the bike is a rider modern groups are just better if it an eroica thing and oldish campy group with deltas would be the direction I’d go
Old 12-02-20, 09:44 AM
CLmaster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would think that someone "new to the hobby" would take the time to do some research, as that is part of the hobby, no? Someone looking for easy answers to all of their questions seems, to me, to be more interested in a quick fix. And that's fine. But let's call it what it is.

As for the "why bother" question, it seems to come up often these days. Why speak to laziness, or ignorance, or malice, at all, right? I mean, it is only our society that is degrading, robbing the rest of us of quality of life, right? No big deal...

Anyway, he wanted advice from us, so that is my advice. If he finds those answers for himself, his build will be me rewarding, and the finished product more satisfying.

What?
Yes appreciate all your comments - i have been researching on google but wanted to reach out on here as well hence me asking questions, not a quick fix more asking people with better knowledge for their thoughts. Sorry if it came across lazy robertorolfo that was not intended at all. I will get back to Google and learn up before asking so many questions.
Likes For CLmaster:
Old 12-02-20, 09:50 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by CLmaster
Yes appreciate all your comments - i have been researching on google but wanted to reach out on here as well hence me asking questions, not a quick fix more asking people with better knowledge for their thoughts. Sorry if it came across lazy robertorolfo that was not intended at all. I will get back to Google and learn up before asking so many questions.
Yours were well asked, legitimate questions. This place is THE place to go if you're into vintage bikes because of the many knowledgeable contributors. Please keep posting!
Old 12-02-20, 09:52 AM
CLmaster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Yours were well asked, legitimate questions. This place is THE place to go if you're into vintage bikes because of the many knowledgeable contributors. Please keep posting!
Ok thanks - I will post frame pics when I get to 10 posts.
Old 12-02-20, 03:28 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Well said. I fully agree.

Your questions are legitimate and your positive personality come through within your posts. I have always found this forum to be a positive, friendly, helpful and sharing place to be an I reckon you fit right in. I have been mesmerised by bikes all my life and have been curious to discover more about the bikes that take my interest so I have gained a fair bit of knowledge and experience over that period of time. There is a lot I still don't know and I'm sometimes wrong in my recollections or things I haven't encountered so being a part of this community is most valuable to me. I have also discovered that as I grow older, information I once relied on starts to slip away and needs refreshing. I also recognise that there are questions that cannot be accurately answered by anybody and generalisations is as close as you can get to an answer - unfortunately some 'Colnago' questions do not have definitive answers as they were not thought to be recorded at the time.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 12-02-20 at 04:19 PM.