Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

GCN video of interest!?mmmm

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

GCN video of interest!?mmmm

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 04:07 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
GCN videos score a 2/10 on average for me, occasionally they put out some reasonable content, but so much of it is just crap.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-10-21, 04:11 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by acm
...a content mill designed to sell power meters to divorce guys.
I don't need a power meter to know that I'm slow!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-10-21, 05:04 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Yes. Especially as she is one of the best presenters. I saw an episode in which she painted a frame which was actually pretty good. So I apologize for calling her gormless.
She's also won and been successful in track cycling (did some road cycling as well), but even Si looked a bit lost when working friction shifters a few years ago (an Orbea I believe). I don't know if any of the presenters is given a few minutes off-camera to at least marginally familiarize themselves with, say, friction shifting, or if part of the entertainment value is watching them rewire their brains for a bit, skilled at their ((former) professional cycling) craft as they are.
Old 03-10-21, 06:34 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I don't know if any of the presenters is given a few minutes off-camera to at least marginally familiarize themselves with, say, friction shifting, or if part of the entertainment value is watching them rewire their brains for a bit, skilled at their ((former) professional cycling) craft as they are.
Several times I've noticed that scenarios in their videos are rather contrived, and I find it fairly irritating, so I don't really watch their videos anymore.
Old 03-10-21, 08:48 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
From the reviews, I don't thing I'll invest the time to watch the video. I've seen this conversion documented a bunch of times. The last youtube video I watched was a disk conversion of a chrome moly mountain bike and there was a discussion of the fork being strong enough for the braking forces. The thought that crosses my mind is that adding a disk brake to the rear wheel of a vintage heavy touring bike might be a good idea as an additional drag brake for long decents. I would think a disk would be lighter and more practical than a drum brake. I'm pretty sure they both load up a frame or fork in the same way.
Old 03-19-21, 07:49 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,061 Posts
On this week's GCN Tech Show, they kinda sorta admit that the fork is not safe. They say that they "don't recommend doing that to your own forks." and that "the bike is now safely tucked away in my garage and we won't be riding it again..."
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 03-19-21, 11:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Several times I've noticed that scenarios in their videos are rather contrived, and I find it fairly irritating, so I don't really watch their videos anymore.
the audience is not the BF C&V membership.
Considering the volume of posts here, there is a market to tap.
Maybe they just think we collectively are too cheap.
Old 03-19-21, 02:02 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Reminds me of the one video that Manon did about how to change your tire at roadside when you get a flat or something. She casually pops the tire off and removes the rim without any effort. The comments below were like, wish it was that easy or like to see her do that with Continental Gatorskin tires! ha ha
Likes For gthomson: