Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identify Colnago Master Piu

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 03:31 PM
steverovsky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help me understand when it is version of Colnago Master Piu, there were versions without chrome knots and not painted logos?
I can't attach photo because doesn't have 10 message...
Old 03-24-21, 07:26 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
From my memory, I think I first saw my first Colnago Master Piu around 1988 but I'm not sure if it had a curved or straight bladed front fork? My Master Piu is from 1990 and it has a Precisa fork, 2 sets of bottle cage mounts and stuck on decals. I'm not sure when Colnago changed to painted decals but I think it was the early 90's. I also think the early versions of the Master Piu had only one set of bottle cage mounts and curved front forks.

I think it's very difficult to put precise times on Colnago bike frame developments. Personally, I'd love to be more precise with the dating of my Colnago's but I have had to accept a well researched estimation of build dates.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-25-21 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-25-21, 01:24 AM
steverovsky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
From my memory, I think I first saw my first Colnago Master Piu around 1987 but I'm not sure if it had a curved or straight bladed front fork? My Master Piu is from 1990 and it has a Precisa fork, 2 sets of bottle cage mounts and stuck on decals. I'm not sure when Colnago changed to painted decals but I think it was the early 90's. I also think the early versions of the Master Piu had only one set of bottle cage mounts and curved front forks.

I think it's very difficult to put precise times on Colnago bike frame developments. Personally, I'd love to be more precise with the dating of my Colnago's but I have had to accept a well researched estimation of build dates.

Best of luck.
Thx! My version have one bottle cage mount, chrome precisia fork, rear hub space is 130mm. Regarding painting, there is no color highlighting of logo and texts Colnago on the nodes, and no Master text on top tube, only text Colnago on top, seat and down tube. Can it be an original coloring/painting, no rework?

Last edited by steverovsky; 03-25-21 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-25-21, 03:31 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by steverovsky
Thx! My version have one bottle cage mount, chrome precisia fork, rear hub space is 130mm. Regarding painting, there is no color highlighting of logo and texts Colnago on the nodes, and no Master text on top tube, only text Colnago on top, seat and down tube. Can it be an original coloring/painting, no rework?
Hi steverovsky, It's hard to say if your Colnago has an original paint scheme as you would expect to see a 'Master' or 'Master Piu' decal on the top tube. I'm thinking that it is a re-paint (rework) but, then again' the decals on the top tube could have been removed (not easy to do). I hope yours is original.

The decals should be a single colour (black or white or yellow, etc.) and replacement decals are easy to find.

Years ago I think a non original paint scheme would have been a reasonably big issue but today, I think it is not as much of a problem. I have a Master Piu and mine is a re-paint but I still love it and it's a really nice bike to ride.

I think yours may be a 1988 version. In 1988 and 1999 you could be offered the same frame with a choice of front fork - straight or curved. The single set of bottle cage mounts would tell me that yours may be an early 1988 version. I think the Master Piu was introduced in 1988.

It will be nice to see a photograph of your bike when you are able to post photos.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-25-21 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-25-21, 12:00 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
I have never seen a Colnago without paint infilled logo clovers/clubs. It would strongly suggest it being a repainted frame.
There are some info on Master vs Master Piu in my old build thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ld-thread.html