Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old guy needs advice

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old guy needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 07:53 PM
Bochim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old guy needs advice

72 years old, bad back, going to get back in riding. Last bike 30 year old Trek 930 cromoly frame. Built it myself. Good Manatou front fork, etc. Bike weighed 22lbs. Refurbished it 8 years ago to use in summer retirement job as a camp host at state park in Montana. Put new Sram gearing, cables, seat, and 2" riser bar. Allowed me to set up a little straighter which helped back. That bike is gone. Looking for similar newer bike and do not know if it is even available, I am out of touch with a lot of things.
Basically: Mountain bike geometry or hybrid, front suspension, riser bar, fenders, rear rack. I realize I may have to put on rack and possible other items but is there anything that comes close that is under 30 lbs? Thank you very much for any help. Steve
PS- I have looked around some and I know there is a shortage of bikes.... So, an off-brand would be ok if it is available.

Last edited by Bochim; 06-21-21 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 06-21-21, 08:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8278 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Like this maybe?
Cypress DX (2021) | Men City bike | Giant Bicycles United States (giant-bicycles.com)
Likes For big john:
Old 06-21-21, 08:17 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
That Giant Big John gave a link to looks like a good choice based on your description of an ideal bike.
Old 06-22-21, 08:49 AM
Bochim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. The Giant looks just about perfect, certainly a good place to start. During the summer I live in White Sulphur Springs, MT. Closest shop where they ship is Spokane WA. If I do not find any that will ship to me I may order this one when I get back to the south east this fall. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-21, 08:57 AM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 53 Posts
My opinion, do not wait until fall. Find something to ride even if is not the perfect bike.
Old 06-22-21, 08:59 AM
Bochim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skullo
My opinion, do not wait until fall. Find something to ride even if is not the perfect bike.
This is good advice. Waiting is not the same as it used to be.
Old 06-22-21, 09:00 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Bochim
Thank you for the reply. The Giant looks just about perfect, certainly a good place to start. During the summer I live in White Sulphur Springs, MT. Closest shop where they ship is Spokane WA. If I do not find any that will ship to me I may order this one when I get back to the south east this fall. Thanks again.
If you look around on the Giant site, or other major brands like Trek and Cannondale, you will find other bikes in the same genre. I don't know the weight of that bike but a similar model without the suspension fork would probably be lighter. If you're not going to be climbing with it than the weight should be less of a concern.
Old 06-22-21, 09:05 AM
big john

There are options @ Bikes direct. Save up to 60% off new Super Hybrid Comfort Fitness Bikes - Gravity X-Rod X4 8Speed | Save up to 60% off bikes (bikesdirect.com)
Old 06-22-21, 10:46 AM
Bochim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If you look around on the Giant site, or other major brands like Trek and Cannondale, you will find other bikes in the same genre. I don't know the weight of that bike but a similar model without the suspension fork would probably be lighter. If you're not going to be climbing with it than the weight should be less of a concern.
I have looked around and it seems major brands are having a shortage. Historically I am most familiar with Trek, I haven't noticed one with a riser bar but what they do offer does not seem to be in stock. Trying to stay under 1k$.
Thanks, Steve
Old 06-22-21, 02:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4398 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
One thing to note here is that those cheap Suntour suspension forks are both heavy and stiff with poor damping control. So especially as you are staying under $1k I would get a bike with a rigid fork. With the right modern, wide, low pressure tyres the ride will be just as comfortable, but you will save a ton of weight and it won't feel like riding a pogo-stick. Unfortunately, decent quality suspension forks with proper damping and adjustable rate are pretty expensive these days and so you won't find one on any new bike in that price range.

Something like this would ride nicely. You might need to swap the bar for a riser to get the stack height you need. But otherwise this would ride much better than a similar priced bike with a crappy suspension fork.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/hybrid-...rahmenfarbe=GY

Last edited by PeteHski; 06-22-21 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 03:24 PM
Bochim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for ideas, you have helped.

[QUOTE=PeteHski;22113133]One thing to note here is that those cheap Suntour suspension forks are both heavy and stiff with poor damping control. So especially as you are staying under $1k I would get a bike with a rigid fork. With the right modern, wide, low pressure tyres the ride will be just as comfortable, but you will save a ton of weight and it won't feel like riding a pogo-stick. Unfortunately, decent quality suspension forks with proper damping and adjustable rate are pretty expensive these days and so you won't find one on any new bike in that price range.

Something like this would ride nicely. You might need to swap the bar for a riser to get the stack height you need. But otherwise this would ride much better than a similar priced bike with a crappy suspension fork.
/QUOTE]
Forum would not let me quote link. That particular bike is unavailable but your point of suspension is well taken. I am not going to be able to bomb around like I used to. Thanks
Old 06-23-21, 12:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you want a lightweight steel frame mountain bike, look for a 1990s Kona Race Light model, like the great old Lava Dome, weighing around 24 lbs, and could go lighter with some replacement components. In some areas Kona is hardly recognized and you might find one for a reasonable price.

Otherwise if you decide to buy new or lightly used, consider carbon fiber. A few years ago I figured I'd be perfectly happy with steel bikes, but when I got a chance to buy a good used Trek 5900 OCLV a couple of years ago I realized the ride wasn't much different but it was a bit lighter on climbs, and much lighter when I need to lift the bike. Old neck, back and shoulder injuries sometimes make it difficult to hoist anything heavier than 20 lbs and it's kinda nice to have a lighter weight bike.
Old 06-23-21, 04:29 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
If you’re looking for a more comfortable upright riding position, you might consider a Jones bike.

They’re out of stock right now, but it looks like they have more on the way (though no telling when they’ll actually arrive).
Old 06-23-21, 04:51 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4398 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Forum would not let me quote link. That particular bike is unavailable but your point of suspension is well taken. I am not going to be able to bomb around like I used to. Thanks
Yes, stock levels are a problem at the moment with most brands. The Canyon I linked to was just a random example of a rigid frame hybrid. It is the kind of bike that would give you the best ride and value for $1k. Lack of suspension will not hold you back at this price level, actually quite the opposite.

If you are looking to ride off-road, then you just need wider, higher volume tyres, which is one of the main differences between a hybrid and a more dedicated mountain bike. I think the Canyon hybrid I linked to was limited to around 30 mm wide tyres, so a bit more road oriented than off-road, but would still handle light off-road trails and rough paths.

Those Jones bikes the last poster linked to look interesting for a more upright geometry, but quite a lot more money.

Just keep in mind what I said about suspension forks on cheaper bikes. They are just a box ticking exercise and offer no real comfort or performance. But they do add several pounds in weight and undamped bouncing!
Old 06-23-21, 06:21 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I'm reasonably familiar with the Trek 930 (I've had two Trek 970's, still have one)..22lbs seems..really light for that bike.

That said..given your needs/desires, I'd look for a good used mid-level+ mountain bike. Not sure of your size, but I'm seeing this one close by..heck of a price. It retailed around $1300 in 2013. New bars and cushy street tires..it'd be a nice ride. The guy seems to be using Bicycle Blue Book as a value reference..terrible error for a seller..great deal for a buyer(advice..if you see something on CL that's "right"..don't wait..jump on it as it won't be around long..this one was posted 13 hrs ago)
https://missoula.craigslist.org/bik/...340633485.html

Another
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/bik/d...340618816.html

Another
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/bik/d...340600635.html

Another(overpriced..offer $150)
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/bik/d...336946693.html

Another
https://missoula.craigslist.org/bik/...336855896.html

Another(low end bike, but looks to be in great condition..good price..hard to get hurt there)
https://helena.craigslist.org/bik/d/...336344606.html

Another(Gravity bike..from bikesdirect.com I'd guess)
https://kalispell.craigslist.org/bik...336317834.html

Another(not sure what it would be worth..nice ride)
https://missoula.craigslist.org/bik/...333783693.html

Another
https://bozeman.craigslist.org/bik/d...338344568.html

Another(no feeling for price, but I suspect high)
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/bik...335991623.html

Take a look at this thread. Take an older mountain bike and add in new handlebars/stem as needed for a more upright posture.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

Last edited by fishboat; 06-23-21 at 07:08 AM. Reason: add a couple more
Old 06-23-21, 08:21 AM
Bochim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=fishboat;22113866]I'm reasonably familiar with the Trek 930 (I've had two Trek 970's, still have one)..22lbs seems..really light for that bike.

That said..given your needs/desires, I'd look for a good used mid-level+ mountain bike. Not sure of your size, but I'm seeing this one close by..heck of a price. It retailed around $1300 in 2013. New bars and cushy street tires..it'd be a nice ride. The guy seems to be using Bicycle Blue Book as a value reference..terrible error for a seller..great deal for a buyer(advice..if you see something on CL that's "right"..don't wait..jump on it as it won't be around long..this one was posted 13 hrs ago)

Thank you for the post, was looking at new and had not looked a Craigslist at all yet. Had to delete links because I am a new and I have a bald spot on the back of my head. I may not be remembering weight on that bike right, I had others (Bridgestone, etc). The Trek had some of the best (lightest) components and was light. I weighed it on a bow scale. It may have been a little more. At this point I am not sure of a lot of things except I have never been tall or handsome. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-21, 10:31 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
[QUOTE=fishboat;22113866]I'm reasonably familiar with the Trek 930 (I've had two Trek 970's, still have one)..22lbs seems..really light for that bike.

https://missoula.craigslist.org/bik/...340633485.html
/QUOTE]
I don't need nor will the DW let me have, but this one looks like a super deal and I'm not even in the area. (drool)
Old 06-23-21, 11:03 AM
Bochim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'm reasonably familiar with the Trek 930 (I've had two Trek 970's, still have one)..22lbs seems..really light for that bike.

/QUOTE]
I don't need nor will the DW let me have, but this one looks like a super deal and I'm not even in the area. (drool)[/QUOTE]

That looks like a good deal, Fishboat sent a link above. I emailed the seller and two people are looking at it. If neither of them wants it he will call me. Nice guy but I think it will sell. Thanks, Steve
Old 06-23-21, 12:24 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts

That looks like a good deal, Fishboat sent a link above. I emailed the seller and two people are looking at it. If neither of them wants it he will call me. Nice guy but I think it will sell. Thanks, Steve
Ya..that 2013 Stumpy is a screaming deal. Listings like that typical can be timed with an egg-timer. A Stumpy ten years older than that one could easily sell for $250.

There's some other nice bikes in that list. One more thought..don't be put off by having to drive a ways to pick up a bike. It's only a half or whole day, but the bike will be available for many years.and the search will be over. Try to feel out the seller to see if he/she is a reasonably rational person and let them know you're traveling a ways..hours..to pick it up. Most people will accommodating and tell all the good and bad about a bike. If they can't or won't communicate..bub-bye..

There's a surprisingly large quantity of barely used bikes on the market. I've purchased quite a few for myself and others that were near showroom condition.
Old 06-23-21, 01:06 PM
Bochim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Points

Originally Posted by fishboat
Ya..that 2013 Stumpy is a screaming deal. Listings like that typical can be timed with an egg-timer. A Stumpy ten years older than that one could easily sell for $250.

There's some other nice bikes in that list. One more thought..don't be put off by having to drive a ways to pick up a bike. It's only a half or whole day, but the bike will be available for many years.and the search will be over. Try to feel out the seller to see if he/she is a reasonably rational person and let them know you're traveling a ways..hours..to pick it up. Most people will accommodating and tell all the good and bad about a bike. If they can't or won't communicate..bub-bye..

There's a surprisingly large quantity of barely used bikes on the market. I've purchased quite a few for myself and others that were near showroom condition.
Good points all. As a fixed income retired school teacher I think used may be the way to go. I sold my Park bike holder many years ago but I still have a little bag of bike tools. I also am ready to take the advice given above about the front suspension fork. Considering the trade off for weight I probably would be better off without one. Thank you all.